Z21 and Railcom

I was taking to some people at Warley last week and they suggested that the Z21 doesn't play nicely with Railcom and consequently the new Digikeijs occupancy detector (https://www.digikeijs.com/dr5088rc-digidetect.html) with Railcom may not work with my Z21 :(

I have hunted around the net but am unable to find anything that says Roco has an issue with Railcom that may cause this not to work and Digikeijs aren't answering nails or responding to Tweers either.

What are the views here, you chaps know most things - or it seems that way to me (and I for one am very grateful for the help!)

Many thanks

• 2 weeks later...

That is what was said at the show but it was unsubstantiated and I cannot find anything that suggests it doesn’t work with railcom - other than opinions on fora such as this, no examples or facts :(

I know that it works as I can read the CVs whilst doing POM and you need railcom to do that and I haven’t had any issues using it in this way.

Perhaps I will just have to get one and see if it does work - or doesn’t and then I will have a definitive answer either way?

That is what was said at the show but it was unsubstantiated and I cannot find anything that suggests it doesn’t work with railcom - other than opinions on fora such as this, no examples or facts :(

I know that it works as I can read the CVs whilst doing POM and you need railcom to do that and I haven’t had any issues using it in this way.

Perhaps I will just have to get one and see if it does work - or doesn’t and then I will have a definitive answer either way?

I have a Z21 and not railcom, the Z21 will read on the programm track or on the main if only one loco is on the track, I found this out whilst using on my workshop test track that has a switch between the two outputs when I forgot to switch from the main to program and it still read the chip.

mike g

I have the Z21. Sometimes I've had instances where a loco chip has malfunctioned eg failed to respond, runaway loco. In those cases I've read the advice is to turn off Railcom in the chip. This has usually solved the issue so I've concluded that Railcom isn't a good fit with my system. I don't know if it's Z21 related or not but I don't feel the need for Railcom anyway so I don't have it turned on.

Cheers ... Alan