Making clearance for tracks under baseboard

DCB

I am trying to reduce the gradient to a set of storage sidings currently in the 1 in 18 range.

To do this I have to get rid of most of a 2" X 1" upper baseboard support put in 30 years ago as I try to move the start of the gradient further back along a lower baseboard put in 25 years ago when the sidings were added as an afterthought.

My current thought is a piece of 3/8" or 1/4" ply something like 2ft 6" X 10" screwed and glued firmly to the 2" X 1" upper and lower supports with holes for the track, and access and slots for wiring pre cut and then the 2" X 1" cut away for clearance.

I'm not sure whether to go for the whole width or just a foot or so where the track ascends and where the upper needs to be cut away.

Any suggestions as I need to get it done tomorrow hopefully before the Christmas Carol playing season kicks in

post-21665-0-46012800-1512278051_thumb.jpg

post-21665-0-83991400-1512278082_thumb.jpg

post-21665-0-46012800-1512278051_thumb.jpg

post-21665-0-83991400-1512278082_thumb.jpg

David,

I had a similar problem with Crewlisle when I decided to add the reversing loop a few years after the original baseboards were built.  If you look at my track plan on Google, the reversing loop leaves the continuous run on the left hand side, goes down the inside of the operating well, under the end baseboard, under the high level goods yard to join the up main back at the left hand side of the plan.

What I did was cut out 12mm ply 'U' shaped brackets, glued & screwed them to the right hand side baseboard timber supports where the track would run.  When dry, I cut out the baseboard supports, added a 6mm track base then laid the track.  It has maintained the strength of the baseboard for the last 38 years.  I am sure your idea would be just as successful.

Peter