I just have to brave the rush hour M25 which will be a bit of a bore! If any RMweb'ers are passing the layout do stop to say hello!

On the M25? In the rush hour?

Do like the atmosphere of your model.

:O :D :D :D

It really does capture the atmosphere of the Kyle line, I must say- look forward to seeing it up in Scotland sometime.

Richard

Thanks for those that said hello as they were visiting the East London Finescale Show today, it was good to meet you.

Portchullin has accepted an invite to Glasgow in 2012, so for those that live not only north of the border but right at the absolute top (you know who you are!) I look forward to meeting you too!

The layout is 4.5 * 4.5m including fiddle yards. This would be one ot the serious lessons that I have learnt from making it - do not make a layout that is bigger than the available room you have to put it up. I can not put this up at home and it has only ever run as a complete layout when it is at shows. This has led to an excess of gremlins at the first couple of shows that have taken a little time to iron out. My next one will be a bit smaller, as I seem not to have the money to buy a bigger house!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mark,

"Portchullin has accepted an invite to Glasgow in 2012"

I'm glad to hear this as I suggested it to Ian nearly 3 years ago!

The DEMU - Scotland layout 'Edinburgh - Southside' will be making it's debut at the show.

That is - as long as I keep on building the units it needs!

Thanks

• RMweb Gold

That's a great way to ensure you get plenty of operating space at exhibitions...

The layout looks so much bigger in the photos in the thread, looks superb whatever.

(I certainly wouldn't be smiling if there was a seagull above my layout... ohmy.gif )

I certainly wouldn't be smiling if there was a seagull above my layout... ohmy.gif

A potty trained seagull! AKA Peter Bond my co-operator.

is the support structure made of metal?

The legs are formed of 1" square mild steel; welded into a square frame, one vertical of which extends upwards behind the boards. Into this a gallows bracket (also of 1" square steel) reaches across the board to support the lighting pelmet - these are the black lines you see in the overhead picture. The legs are braced by diagonal timber bars, bolted onto the legs. Minus her skirts Portchullin looks like this.................

post-7769-053939900 1289760410_thumb.jpg

The legs had to absorb the curve of the layout, the underside of the boards that are at different levels to allow for the lower water of one board and I also wanted them separate from the actual boards. They do work and achieved these aims (and are better than the A frame trestles I have used in the past). However, legs is one of the things that I have learnt from making the layout (the list of things learnt is long and not hugely distinguished!). I will definitely be using the principal of the girder deck that St Merryn uses for my next layout. This is described in the book that the team have just published – Andy Y reviewed it here and it is thoroughly worth buying.

The advantage of creating a flat deck to sit the boards onto is that it can be got right before any boards arrive and allows the boards to be moved around upon it; for maintenance etc. Mind you, I am not sure I will do 3 legged trestles, I am not sold by them.

• Like 1

Hi Portchullin,

Have admired your modelling since Portchullin first graced the pages of this forum; top drawer modelling indeed!

Particularly impressed with the standard of weathering, especially rolling stock. In my opinion, you've got the degree of weathering just right. The problem I find is that it's very easy to get carried away and if you're not careful, you end up with something that looks like it's been out of service for donkeys years and has been hanging round the scrapyard awaiting its date with the cutter's torch. Certainly, if you look at old photographs, especially those towards the end of the steam era, examples of almost decrepitude abound, however (and this is only a personal thing), I feel that with models you have to moderate everything otherwise it looks exaggerated and loses its credibility in the process which is surely what each of us strives to achieve - almost on a par with running stock straight out of the box - to me, both cases scream 'Model!' Essentially, nothing wrong with either but I would dearly like to TRY and get it right - which is what you've achieved with Portchullin.

Since you obviously know what you're doing, and if you've got a little time to spare, I wonder whether you'd mind sharing your skill with the rest of us?

I especially adore those oil/fuel tankers so perhaps you could use one of these, or even a wagon, to demonstrate?

I sincerely hope you don't mind.

Thanks once again for this wonderful creation and please keep plying us with updates.

Best wishes,

Jonte :)

Will do, but at the weekend as I am at do's for the next few nights.

I use a number of techniques; one of which involves paying for it! Sorry if that is seen as cheating but I will explain..............

No probs, Mark; just as and when.

Many thanks,

Jonte :)

• 11 months later...

Sorry about the absence of posts on this thread for so long (and to Jonte, who I have not replied to!)

Portchullin will be out at Tolworth Showtrain this weekend, so stop by and say hellow if you are passing. Alternatively, if you are in the Portsmouth area in a fortnight it will be at the South Hants Show.

Here are a couple of pictures that have not been posted before:

post-7769-0-81012200-1321015474_thumb.jpg

post-7769-0-17690900-1321015554_thumb.jpg

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold
Alternatively, if you are in the Portsmouth area in a fortnight it will be at the South Hants Show.

Mark looking forward to seeing you and Portchullin again. For those interested this is the link to the SHMRC show

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/44018-portsmouth-south-hants-mrc-26th-november-2011

Dave

• 2 months later...

Portchullin's next few outings are as follows:

Model Rail Scotland - 24, 25 & 26 February

http://www.modelrail-scotland.co.uk/

On the Sunday at Glasgow we aim to backdate the layout to the 1920's. So if you want to see some clans, lochs, barneys or straths, you may want to head in that day. If you also want to see it in its 1974 garb, you had best come two days!!

As always, if there are any RMwebbers there do feel free to say hello!

• RMweb Gold

Really must get to Nottingham again this year especially if Porchullin is going to be there. Shame I'm going to miss the 20's day at Glasgow.

Edit, love the 26 approaching the bridge.

Edited by Worsdell forever

Hi Mark, Good to see Portchullin on here again, it served as the inspiration I needed for the scenics on my Glen Roy (RM Aug 2011) I look forward to seeing it again at Nottingham in March. All the best Andy.

• RMweb Premium

Pardon my ignorance, but this is the first time I've noticed Portchullin on here. Superb - my kind of layout, with scenery dominating.

Excellent stuff - I will keep a close eye on further developments!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 1

Thanks for those that said hello as they were visiting the East London Finescale Show today, it was good to meet you.

Portchullin has accepted an invite to Glasgow in 2012, so for those that live not only north of the border but right at the absolute top (you know who you are!) I look forward to meeting you too!

The layout is 4.5 * 4.5m including fiddle yards. This would be one ot the serious lessons that I have learnt from making it - do not make a layout that is bigger than the available room you have to put it up. I can not put this up at home and it has only ever run as a complete layout when it is at shows. This has led to an excess of gremlins at the first couple of shows that have taken a little time to iron out. My next one will be a bit smaller, as I seem not to have the money to buy a bigger house! See you in Glasgow.Chris