BRM January '18 + 3D magazine + 3D glasses + DVD

SteveCole

Finally managed to get a copy and, have to say, I liked it. I found that I had to look at the images for a few minutes and hold the magazine at arms length before they became clear and some images work better than others. I took my prescription glasses off and found that was better.

Will there be more?

Also... I have a 3d TV so how about a 3d DVD? Go on, you know you want to.....

Edited by anthony07
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

In the spirit of modelling, we’ve improvised and tried out the glasses from my son’s “3D Battle of the Dinosaurs.” His feedback “they were great and it felt you could reach out and touch them.” Never mind the naysayers, you got a fan here!

Apparently Phil found some cheap ones in Smith's today on a One Direction magazine for anyone who really doesn't give a monkeys what they look like. :)

The mind boggles at why Phil was looking at a One Direction (so no return service??) magazine and also what you’d need 3D glasses for in a 1D magazine!

I must admit - that does sound like a scary thought - but then I've always had slightly more old fashioned tastes in music.

Phil was in the books section looking for Christmas presents and spotted a big pile of these in the "Reduced to get rid of please take them away" shelf. I really should have taken a photo.

They apparently come with 2 pairs of glasses. If there are any left, we might buy some and send the specs out to any moaning about the 3D. You have been warned...

I think I'll pass on those.

Nothing against the 3D photos, you understand - I think they're amazing - but I've never come across any cardboard framed 3D glasses that actually fit my face.

Thankfully, a bit of lateral thinking soon allowed me to check out the 3D supplement at home.

I think I've mentioned in the past that I've been interested in photography for a number of years. Well, a number of light filter suppliers exhibit at broadcast and photography shows - and they often hand out sample books of their colour filters. The filter samples are often slightly smaller than a bank card - and kept together using a plastic bolt through one corner (which doubles as a pivot).

It's a simple matter to select 2 suitable different coloured filter samples from one of these books - rotate them so they can be positioned in front of either eye  - and then look through them at the printed 3D photos. Not exactly trendy - but they do the job.

Anyway, if 3D supplements were ever to become a regular feature, it wouldn't be difficult to produce suitable frames to hold the colour light filters in place - serviceable frames that fit an adult face a lot better than a lot of "giveaway" 3D glasses. Please note - I'm in no rush to do this - and I don't want this to turn into some new unofficial "challenge" - but it wouldn't be difficult for anyone who really wanted to go overboard.

Got my copy at Monk Bar Model Shop in York yesterday, along with some items for my cakebox entry. That evening I had a look at the 3D Pendon feature. Admittedly I have rather young eyes, but I think the feature is brilliant, though the photo of the 43xx clanking through Pendon Parva doesn't quite have the same effect as all the other photos.

Really must get to Pendon sometime to see this masterpiece in real life!

I also like this feature. However, I must admit that I've never had the chance to get to Pendon - and I wonder if I ever will. Somehow, though, I could see some people visiting there, on the strength of this supplement.

All well and good. However, rather like 3D films, this development is pretty much useless if one wears glasses full-time for any significant sight defect.

I know what you mean about the 3D films - even though a lot of modern ones seem to rely on polarized light, instead of different colours.

Finally managed to get a copy and, have to say, I liked it. I found that I had to look at the images for a few minutes and hold the magazine at arms length before they became clear and some images work better than others. I took my prescription glasses off and found that was better.

Will there be more?

I also found that removing my glasses helped - but then I'm short sighted (unfortunately, I'm also starting to get a bit long-sighted - but this didn't cause me any problems here).

I wonder how feasible a 3D DVD would be in practice.

As for further 3D supplements, I'd also be interested - especially if they were to feature some electrics (with OHLE), or even diesels. Well, I was born in the mid 1960s - so I can't remember working steam locos as anything other than museum pieces. (I can, however, remember some non-working "kettles" near where "bucket & spade trip" buses used to park at Barry - but I'm not sure that counts.)

Changing the subject, I could imagine RMweb threads detailing the sort of stuff people might like to see in future issues of magazines. Well, I say "imagine" for a reason - as some people here know, some of the stuff I'd like to see would probably have some magazines' "in house" modelmakers looking for a darkened room to lie down in. I'm not really sure that I wish to put the cat among the pigeons, in this way.

Huw.

• Like 1

Hi,

It's on page 152 I believe, the first page of the mini-magazine. No matter where you live, we'll send you the glasses.

Steve

Steve,

This is a ridiculously convoluted process.I clicked on P152 and it takes me to some competition page where it asks for a subscriber number of which I have no idea. Please just send my glasses to 42 Hollywood Crescent North Willoughby 2068 Australia.Thank you.

Edited by nerron

• Administrators

Don't know if it's an indication of my age but I love this type of 3D stuff.  Thought the issue was brilliant and that the images were stunning - best in good light conditions.  Groundbreaking issue (never seen any other modelling publication attempt this) and it will certainly go into the 'cherished items chest' for future reference.  Well done everyone involved and can we see more layouts done like this in the future?  Very brave to attempt this - why I love BRM so much.

Thanks for the comments. We to trial things that are that little bit different to the norm, the 3D magazine being one such thing. As for doing it again in the future, we are looking at. Watch this space....

• Like 1

• Administrators

Will there be more?

There may well be more. We have discussed a 3D DVD but I'm afraid not enough people have a 3D TV to make it worthwhile. Sorry.

• Administrators

Steve,

This is a ridiculously convoluted process.I clicked on P152 and it takes me to some competition page where it asks for a subscriber number of which I have no idea. Please just send my glasses to 42 Hollywood Crescent North Willoughby 2068 Australia.Thank you.

In the post.

• Like 1

• Administrators

All well and good. However, rather like 3D films, this development is pretty much useless if one wears glasses full-time for any significant sight defect.

Tony

I wear glasses all the time and just slip the 3D glasses over the front of my normal pair. As I said a few posts back, I found that it helped to modify the legs a little as the length is good for people without spectacles but a bit more is need for those of us with them.

Just remove a little from the inside of each of the hooked ends to make them comfortable over glasses. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I wear glasses all the time and just slip the 3D glasses over the front of my normal pair. As I said a few posts back, I found that it helped to modify the legs a little as the length is good for people without spectacles but a bit more is need for those of us with them.

Just remove a little from the inside of each of the hooked ends to make them comfortable over glasses. 

Ah but that would be modelling Phil.  Haven't you got any RTR ones? :mosking:

• RMweb Gold

Tony

I wouldn't say 'useless' but definitely not exactly easy although even without a previously noted mod I found it possible to get the 3-d specs on in front of my normal spec and get a reasonable view of the pictures.  BTW there were other things in this particular issue of BRM ;)

• Like 1

Great read again as usual. I get the digital version.

Did anyone notice Jason Shron stepping out of the Tardis ? He was putting in a plug for The Great British Train Show which will be held this coming Spring near Toronto. Hope to see you there Jason !

Cheers,

Chris

• Like 1

Not normally a buyer of BRM but I picked this one up to read while on a journey to visit some people for Christmas.

Nice little article on Stylson Park, right up my street being a sectorisation era modeller. Would like to see more

of this layout.

Not tried the glasses or seen the DVD yet though.

Edited by Wayne 37901