Google Ads are only seen by non-members of RMweb - Create an RMweb account and you'll only receive modelling ads.

Photo
- - - - -

Kent Panel Contols HH unit repair needed. Help please.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dasatcopthorne

dasatcopthorne

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,548 posts
  • LocationWest Sussex

Posted 07 December 2017 - 11:08

H Guys.

Our Club runs a layout using 3 x KPC handheld units which have been brilliant over the years.

However, now one goes to Short Circuit as soon as the direction switch is set either way from OFF.

Although I am capable of replacing components if I can find replacement, I have absolutely no idea of what has gone wrong.

I have checked the lead, of course. No problem here.

Does anyone have any experience of this problem or know who might be able to trace it and repair it please?

Cheers

Dave

Edited by dasatcopthorne, 07 December 2017 - 16:59 .

Google Ads are only seen by non-members of RMweb - Create an RMweb account and you'll only receive modelling ads.

#2 Joseph_Pestell

Joseph_Pestell

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,698 posts
  • LocationNorth Dorset

Posted 07 December 2017 - 12:03

Hi Dave

I am a real amateur when it comes to electronics but that sounds to me like something has got loose inside the casing and is lying across two terminals causing the short.

If you don't have any luck with repair, I have one somewhere that you can have. I am fairly sure that I will go DCC for any future projects.

#3 John ks

John ks

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 225 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Australia

Posted 08 December 2017 - 11:27

By your description it looks as if the problem is in the direction switch or between the direction switch and the layout

Try disconnecting the output to the layout,(as close to the direction switch as possible) if the short goes away then it past where you disconnected

If it persists then it is between where you disconnected & the direction switch

As I don't know KPC controllers this is about as helpful as I can be

John

#4 BMacdermott

BMacdermott

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 12:54

Hello Dave

I have (and had) some old KPC units and All Components now offer a new model and repair service. I am very pleased with them.

Hope that helps.

Brian

http://www.allcomponentsltd.co.uk

• Informative/Useful x 2