Airfix Prestwin

• RMweb Gold

But I suspect that your brake hangers are back to front.

Edit to add: Not wishing to be negative. I'm very interested to see how these turn out after so many years as I am considering a layout project (yet another one!) which would use a few of these.

Edited by Joseph_Pestell

• RMweb Premium

After so many years in production, this is still a great kit. This one has P4 wheels and, apart having a replacement etched ladder, it was built just as it comes. It is weathered as an alumina wagon but still needs branding as such. It also runs very well without compensation or springing although it does have a fair bit of lead weight glued inside.

post-7014-0-59475600-1512685146_thumb.jpg

Edited by Kylestrome
  • Like 17

After so many years in production, this is still a great kit. This one has P4 wheels and, apart having a replacement etched ladder, it was built just as it comes. It is weathered as an alumina wagon but still needs branding as such. It also runs very well without compensation or springing although it does have a fair bit of lead weight glued inside.

attachicon.gifAirfixPrestwin.jpg

You've also added the handrails going up from the ladder to the top, which in my opinion adds a lot.

A lovely paint job on this, I wonder airbrush, hairy stick or a combination of the two?

John.

• RMweb Premium

A lovely paint job on this, I wonder airbrush, hairy stick or a combination of the two?

It's a while since I did this one but I usually spray the base colour, in order to achieve a flat finish, and then do the rest with brush work in enamels.

David

PS. Looking at it again I've also replaced the buffers and brake lever guards, fitted lamp brackets, and hand wheels on top. Small details really, as it was mostly an exercise in using as much of the kit as possible.

Edited by Kylestrome

Thanks for all the replies. It seems that I have got the slots in the right place so I have carried on assembling them.

I got four of these kits from my uncle's estate plus one that he had made so I thought it would be nice to finish them. However on all four kits the valves (parts 60 and61) were incompletely moulded and were just stubs so I will have to make them from bits of wire etc or see if I can salvage any bits from the ones I made when I was a kid.

As mentioned above they were wonderful kits and still look good today, I have just fitted metal wheels and bearings and some weights, three pennies in each hopper. Just smoothing out the silo seams and they will be ready for painting although looking at photos the welding was a bit rough and the joints are quite visible.

Just a couple of questions:

Kylestrome - where did you get the transfers from they look really good

And secondly how were these used, ie in block trains or small numbers, as I would like to use them on a layout set in the East Midlands.

Thanks for the interest.

Tony

Thanks for all the replies. It seems that I have got the slots in the right place so I have carried on assembling them.

I got four of these kits from my uncle's estate plus one that he had made so I thought it would be nice to finish them. However on all four kits the valves (parts 60 and61) were incompletely moulded and were just stubs so I will have to make them from bits of wire etc or see if I can salvage any bits from the ones I made when I was a kid.

As mentioned above they were wonderful kits and still look good today, I have just fitted metal wheels and bearings and some weights, three pennies in each hopper. Just smoothing out the silo seams and they will be ready for painting although looking at photos the welding was a bit rough and the joints are quite visible.

And secondly how were these used, ie in block trains or small numbers, as I would like to use them on a layout set in the East Midlands.

Thanks for the interest.

Tony

There were never a huge number of these wagons; perhaps a hundred of the ones Airfix modelled and twenty or so with a shorter, taller, body. They'd typically be seen in small numbers alongside Covhops or other wagons; amongst traffic flows they were seen in were alumina to Fort William,  tri-poly-phosphate traffic from Workington and glass-making sand from Pilkington's quarries near Chelford (Congleton) and BIS Oakamoor. I'm not sure where the latter went to, but there were glassworks around Worksop.

Thanks for the interest.

Tony

The welding appears very consistent in my photographs, including a vertical one on the silo side on the centre line.

Transfers available https://www.cctrans.org.uk/products.htm sheet BL47

These wagons can appear as singletons or in small numbers in general freight trains.

Paul

• RMweb Premium

I can't be very helpful there, I'm afraid, as they're a mix of old Woodhead and Model Master transfers.

Paul's link to Cambridge Custom Transfers looks useful, although it's a shame one can't see exactly what they look like before ordering.

David