Rebuilt Merchant Navy

MatthewCarty

The Hornby Merchant Navy has been reintroduced by Hornby this year, and has arrived in stock in the last couple of days! From the pictures now on Rails' website, it looks like the usual decoder in tender arrangement has been implemented! I'm looking forward to getting one of these at some point, but might wait until after Christmas!

https://railsofsheffield.com/br-4-6-2-nederland-line-merchant-navy-class-re-built-early-br-JJJA32457

As it happens, Simon Kohler's blog "Kohler Confidential," on the current  MRE mag issue 7  (p48-60) covers the development and history of both the original Hornby rebuilt MN model and also the recent original condition MN models. Very interesting account imho.

Quite a flagship loco for Hornby.

• Like 1

I wonder if there are any external detail changes apart from the decoder-in-tender arrangements?  Like the thickness of the handrails, one of the few things wrong with the 2001 originals, though these might have been changed on later production. 

Looks great in the Rails photo. And all credit for SK and the team who bought this standard of modelling to Hornby's lineup.

edit; a closer inspection of the Rails photo shows a distinct bow in the running plate, a fault which was also common on the SK-manufactured 35021 'New Zealand Line'...  it will be interesting to see how bad or common this is. OK, it's not as bad as some recent A3 models, and the 3/4 side-on doesn't show it up clearly, but a 3/4-front view might be interesting.

here is the Rails pic., acknowledgements to them, I have lightened it in places hence some shading marks, will remove if requested. Actually the running plate might be fine and it's just the angle or camera. I mean, I even see bends in some new Duchess running plates, maybe I should think about better medication! :)

post-7929-0-06423000-1512700248_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I wonder if there are any external detail changes apart from the decoder-in-tender arrangements?  Like the thickness of the handrails, one of the few things wrong with the 2001 originals, though these might have been changed on later production. 

Looks great in the Rails photo. And all credit for SK and the team who bought this standard of modelling to Hornby's lineup.

edit; a closer inspection of the Rails photo shows a distinct bow in the running plate, a fault which was also common on the SK-manufactured 35021 'New Zealand Line'...  it will be interesting to see how bad or common this is. OK, it's not as bad as some recent A3 models, and the 3/4 side-on doesn't show it up clearly, but a 3/4-front view might be interesting.

here is the Rails pic., acknowledgements to them, I have lightened it in places hence some shading marks, will remove if requested. Actually the running plate might be fine and it's just the angle or camera. I mean, I even see bends in some new Duchess running plates, maybe I should think about better medication! :)

attachicon.gif35014_Bulleid_MN_R3566_Portrait1_1abc_r1200.jpg

Cheers,

The whole thing looks curved to me, so I suspect it to be the effect of a very wide lens setting rather than anything on the model itself.

John

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I wonder how this one will sell,given that there's no shortage of them currently in circulation.

That doesn't stop the rebuilt Light Pacifics becoming hard to find within a month of release, and some much quicker than that.

There haven't been any rebuilt MNs released for some considerable time, so I don't think these will hang about. However, if Hornby really wanted to make such a release fly, they'd do one with a different tender; they've only so far covered two of the five options.

John

• RMweb Gold

That doesn't stop the rebuilt Light Pacifics becoming hard to find within a month of release, and some much quicker than that.

There haven't been any rebuilt MNs released for some considerable time, so I don't think these will hang about. However, if Hornby really wanted to make such a release fly, they'd do one with a different tender; they've only so far covered two of the five options.

John

The latest ones of those are taking a good deal longer to shift though and with respect as a model they are a quantum leap up from the rebuilt MN which is old wine in a new bottle....as are other new releases from Hornby and as wine ages and matures,its price rises it seems.I remain unconvinced by this one,as indeed with both the 8F and Royal Scots as a comparison.

• RMweb Gold

The last rebuilt light Pacific I remember selling out really quickly was okehampton. 603 squadron and Trevone seem to be hanging around.

Big james

603 Squadron is in stock at Rails and Hereford Model Centre but I haven't found any other retailers still advertising it. Trevone seemed to have gone quite quickly (from Hatton's at least) then reappeared two or three weeks ago, perhaps suggesting they weren't all delivered in one go? 

Okehampton was a particularly fast mover and they vanished almost without trace inside 3 weeks IIRC. I hadn't pre-ordered one from my local dealer and only just got one via Hatton's. 

As for the rebuilt MN, I'm not completely certain how long ago the last one was released but I think it was at least four years ago.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

I'm still waiting for a decent (Hornby) representation of the MN fire-box, plus the positioning and overall proportions of it's smoke-box door. (Their WC/BoB is much better in this, latter, aspect.)

It may be that we see a new rebuilt M/N in the next couple of years, Hornby are already half way there with the new chassis from the airsmooth version.

The current release was good in it's day, but things have moved on somewhat.

A new rebuilt version would be very popular and literally fly off the shelves.

John

I agree about the tenders - I won't be buying any more rebuilt MNs unless they're coupled to a different tender. I would love a model of Channel Packet or Royal Mail as rebuilt.

• RMweb Gold

I agree about the tenders - I won't be buying any more rebuilt MNs unless they're coupled to a different tender. I would love a model of Channel Packet or Royal Mail as rebuilt.

Hornby have been told, they need to do the "Modified" Merchant Navy with the 5,000 & 5,250 re-bodied (2 versions) tenders..

That being said the new release could serve as a potential donor for the missing series 2 & 3 on my list ;)

I wonder how this one will sell,given that there's no shortage of them currently in circulation.

People like me have an urge to collect some models....   and the two models for which this is true for me especially are rebuilt Merchant Navy locos and Spamcans, though I'm not very strict, I sold my 'Manson' and have never seen a grey builder's colours version (21C164?) at a price I would pay...  donations gratefully received, claim it on your tax!    :)

edit p.s. the perceived bow in the running plate is most likely the lens effect, but 35021 was afflicted by this.

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 1

I'm still waiting for a decent (Hornby) representation of the MN fire-box, plus the positioning and overall proportions of it's smoke-box door. (Their WC/BoB is much better in this, latter, aspect.)

Oh yeah, thanks for reminding me toboldlygo

Hornby have been told, they need to do the "Modified" Merchant Navy with the 5,000 & 5,250 re-bodied (2 versions) tenders..

That being said the new release could serve as a potential donor for the missing series 2 & 3 on my list ;)

Hornby's rendition of the MN Clan Line's, and later versions of the 6.000 Gal. tender. The curved profile of their sides was more akin to Maunsell than anything Bulleid had in mind. 

Plus

I, honestly, think the same could be said of Hornby's follow-on versions of the 5,100 Gal. series.

Edited by Ceptic

One thing I hadn't noticed on previous models was the moulding line along the side of the boiler. If you zoom-in on the photo it is very clear.  Sorry for the grainy picture.

https://flic.kr/p/22jg8eR

That moulding line was picked up in some reviews even of the first release models, although it does seem to vary considerably between individual models from all of the production batches I have representatives from (I have seven of the rebuilt MNs!).

The later mouldings seem to have a small extra riveted plate moulded on top of the smokebox, where it joins the main boiler. I'm not sure if this was in respect of specific models or if it was a slight upgrade to the moulds for all of the models produced from a certain date onwards.

One other major change over the life of the model was the elimination of the sprung rear driving axle, with later models having a rigid driven wheelbase.

I agree that there is an element of luck with such as the moulding line on the boiler r/h-side, and I'm pleased that the BR green issues seem to be resolved, to some degree at least, similarly the detail-fixing can vary on almost all RTR 00 models.

I am continually surprised and pleased by Hornby's resurrection-from-the-dead of nearly all its RTR steam models after the demise of Sanda Kan, (and unlike many think the Star was a lovely model), happy to see the continued production of the Merchant Navy. I wonder how old the tools are?  I think up stands up very well even by today's standards, let alone 2000.

Here are my versions of Hatton's photos, and as seems usual the greens in real life do not look the same as in shop photos with almost any retailer.

post-7929-0-03405300-1513199391_thumb.jpg

post-7929-0-53028000-1513199425_thumb.jpg

post-7929-0-08581800-1513199455_thumb.jpg

If it runs as well as my other MNs I will be well-satisfied, notwithstanding the limited tender choices. 

I also include below a Hattons pic of a 35021 'New Zealand Line' which wasn't a very widely-sold version, which appears to have suffered from a running plate 'bow', same as the version of that number which I bought.

post-7929-0-76895100-1513199524_thumb.jpg

I suspect the current 35014 has quite a few details which are better than the early 2000-2004 models,

edit; I may be wrong but the deflector handrails and smokebox darts look better than in early models, as well as losing the sprung rear driving axle, which limited adhesion..

cheers, 

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I agree that there is an element of luck with such as the moulding line on the boiler r/h-side, and I'm pleased that the BR green issues seem to be resolved, to some degree at least, similarly the detail-fixing can vary on almost all RTR 00 models.

I am continually surprised and pleased by Hornby's resurrection-from-the-dead of nearly all its RTR steam models after the demise of Sanda Kan, (and unlike many think the Star was a lovely model), happy to see the continued production of the Merchant Navy. I wonder how old the tools are?  I think up stands up very well even by today's standards, let alone 2000.

Here are my versions of Hatton's photos, and as seems usual the greens in real life do not look the same as in shop photos with almost any retailer.

attachicon.gif35014_Merchant_Bulleid_R3566_portrait10_1abcd_r1200.jpg

attachicon.gif35014_Merchant_Bulleid_R3566_portait11_1abcde_r1200.jpg

attachicon.gif35014_merchant_bulleid_R3566_portrait12_1abc_r1200.jpg

If it runs as well as my other MNs I will be well-satisfied, notwithstanding the limited tender choices. 

I also include below a Hattons pic of a 35021 'New Zealand Line' which wasn't a very widely-sold version, which appears to have suffered from a running plate 'bow', same as the version of that number which I bought.

attachicon.gif35021_Merchant_Navy_R2300_1abc_r1200.jpg

I suspect the current 35014 has quite a few details which are better than the early 2000-2004 models,

edit; I may be wrong but the deflector handrails and smokebox darts look better than in early models, as well as losing the sprung rear driving axle, which limited adhesion..

cheers, 

R.2300 was the Bournemouth Belle train pack. AFAIK 35021 New Zealand Line hasn't been offered as a solo release. 

Mine is straight (or at least, was the last time I looked at it).

I must declare a non-interest in Nederland Line as I have decided my existing fleet of rebuilt MNs with 5100g and 6000g tenders is sufficient.

If Hornby would like me to shell out for any more, 35002 Union Castle, 35007 Aberdeen Commonwealth and 35008 Orient Line with appropriate tenders would all have my credit card out of my wallet like a rat up a drain pipe. 

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

I'm amazed at the numbers of sellers that are selling R3566 as British India Line - which R3566 was originally announced as, but changed sometime ago. Even the Invoice from Hornby on my recently delivered model,  said "British India Line".  Is this just laziness?

Edited by Bulleidboy100

• RMweb Gold

I'm amazed at the numbers of sellers that are selling R3566 as British India Line - which R3566 was originally announced as, but changed sometime ago. Even the Invoice from Hornby on my recently delivered model, said "British India Line". Is this just laziness?

Sometimes the name just sticks.

My company developed a product, who’s spec changed over the last 18mths, to something further away from its name, however every meeting the old name /function persists until I mounted a campaign to correct its name, otherwise we’d be selling a wrong product, trouble is no one internally can remember the new name and get confused..I persist on awareness, but suspect we’ll have to settle for an external and an internal name.

I suspect this is the same, it was probably R3566 BIL for 12 -18 months before it reached the catalog.

It’s not the first time, R3160xs Wincanton was initially announced as Braunton a few years back.

As Wincanton..

http://www.hattons.co.uk/60200/Hornby_R3160XS_Class_7P6F_Rebuilt_West_Country_4_6_2_34108_Wincanton_in_BR_Green_with_late_cres/StockDetail.aspx

As Braunton

http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/images/Hornby-2013/steam/r3160xs_br_braunton_west_country_class.jpg

Edited by adb968008

It may be that we see a new rebuilt M/N in the next couple of years, Hornby are already half way there with the new chassis from the airsmooth version.

The current release was good in it's day, but things have moved on somewhat.

A new rebuilt version would be very popular and literally fly off the shelves.

I've no doubt if the tooling needs replacing that the opportunity can be taken to incorporate enhancements but the Merchant Navy was the first of a whole generation of models that quite frankly were in a different league from what went before and to me it's still pretty darn good. I think the problem for many is that back in 1999 the price that China could make the MN was insanely cheap. Inflation of chinese produced good means that is no longer the case but please remember what you'd have paid a kit builder for something like this back in 1990! 

• Like 1