Modifying The O Gauge Heljan Class 37

I wonder if there is someone who could help with a couple of questions please?

I currently have the Heljan O Gauge Centre Headcode Class 37 in Large Logo livery and I would like to know how to remove the Headcode lens without damaging it if it is possible as I have not come anywhere that does replacement lenses?

Also as Heljan painted the skirt around the buffers black. Does anyone know how to remove the buffers without cutting them off or damaging them please?

A friend at my local Model Railway Group has been helping to remove the black paint around the buffers, to reveal the original Yellow Paint underneath as Heljan just painted these black, but it would be easier the remove the buffers in order to complete this without them getting damaged.

TIA

John

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

John

I have an earlier Heljan Class 37 and the buffers can be removed easily by removing four brass shanks that are located behind the buffers. I removed the bogie side frames to make access easier to get to the buffers. As for the removal of the headcode lens I am unable to assist but I would assume that these can be removed easily once the body has been removed...

Brian Daniels has done a superb conversion on a Heljan Class 37 with the use of DJH detailing parts, here's the link and if you need any assistance he is the man to ask.....

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/1458-brians-7mm-diesel-workbench-jltrt-class-47/page-117

Good luck with your project

Jim

John

I have an earlier Heljan Class 37 and the buffers can be removed easily by removing four brass shanks that are located behind the buffers. I removed the bogie side frames to make access easier to get to the buffers. As for the removal of the headcode lens I am unable to assist but I would assume that these can be removed easily once the body has been removed...

Brian Daniels has done a superb conversion on a Heljan Class 37 with the use of DJH detailing parts, here's the link and if you need any assistance he is the man to ask.....

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/1458-brians-7mm-diesel-workbench-jltrt-class-47/page-117

Good luck with your project

Jim

This has been very helpful Jim. Currently the 37 has had the tailights set independently on F19 & F20. F12 now turns on the fan sound on the decoder and also the motor. Just needs a resistor replacing that got removed before it then moves on to stage 2.

Stage 2 will be the continuation of the the removal of the black paint around the buffers. Hopefully be able to provide a couple of pictures of this stage and also the weathering process.

Stage 3 will be the fitting on the transfers and the BR Driver, before Stage 4 which is the weathering stage possibly next year.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

How are you getting on with the paint removal? I'm keen to see how easy (or not) the process is.

Although I have not done this a friend of mine made a start using a fibreglass pen to reveal the yellow paint underneath.

All painting projects are on hold at present as I have moved on to doing a Mk2 coach convertion.

Also, due to the fans being very noisy these have been disabled on my class 37 & 20 models.

• 2 months later...

Sorry there has been no progress.

All my models have been boxed up in storage for the past six weeks since moving house a month ago.

One of my jobs hopefully these weekend is to start sorting out the railway room to make some space so I can organise building a new layout and also so I have some space to work on my models. As I do not have the energy after work during the week at the moment.