9F Crosti Smoke deflectors

• RMweb Premium

I am looking for 2 x Crosti smoke deflectors for my locos. They can be plastic, brass/nickel-silver or whitemetal/ pewter. Failing that scale 4mm/ft drawings so that I can have a go at making them.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Peter

• RMweb Premium

Well,

I must have asked the hardest question on RMweb, as not one reply but 93 views. I sent various emails out and the only one reply was from the NRM and they have replied the following: We don’t appear to have a drawing specifically of the smoke deflectors but they are shown on the Smokebox Arrangement (ref. SL/BR/917) This drawing is on microfiche and is in 2 parts due to the size of the original.

So it looks like I might have to order it so I can scale it down to 4mm/ft

Peter

• RMweb Gold

Well,

I must have asked the hardest question on RMweb, as not one reply but 93 views. I sent various emails out and the only one reply was from the NRM and they have replied the following: We don’t appear to have a drawing specifically of the smoke deflectors but they are shown on the Smokebox Arrangement (ref. SL/BR/917) This drawing is on microfiche and is in 2 parts due to the size of the original.

So it looks like I might have to order it so I can scale it down to 4mm/ft

Peter

I have gone through all of my many books on the BR Standards.........and nothing! Plenty of photos though. I also checked out this link http://nrm.org.uk/researchandarchive/archiveandlibrarycollections/railwaycoworks plenty of drawings relative to the Crosti but nothing specific to the deflector.

Rgds........Mike

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

I have ordered this book British Rail Standard Locomotives to Scale [4mm] by Ian Beattie as it includes the 9F Crosti's.
Locomotives Covered:
'Britannia' Class 4-6-2, 1951
'Clan' Class 4-6-2, 1951
Class 5 (4-6-0), 1951
Class 4 (4-6-0), 1951
Class 4 (2-6-0), 1952
Class 3 (2-6-2T) 1952
Class 2 (2-6-0), 1952
Class 2 (2-6-2T), 1953
Class 3 (2-6-0), 1954
Class 8 (4-6-2), 1954
Class 9 (2-10-0), 1954
Franco-Crosti Boilered Class 9 (2-10-0), 1955

so here's hoping some deflector drawings

Peter

Edited by Peter Beckett

I hope you wont be too disappointed, but in my copy of the book there is no detail drawing including the short-lived smoke deflectors. But as they only had small beading, it shouldn't be difficult to fabricate out of a ten thou sheet of brass, or nickel-silver. There were a few rivets in them as full-size they weren't all one piece, which in 4mm is not that easy to determine. Good luck with your 'Crusti'. :sungum:   

• 2 weeks later...

Of all the books I have that cover the 9F's, the best one with the best side (ish), detailed pic is plate 223 in Edward Talbots 'A Pictorial History Of BR Standard Steam Locomotives Volume 2'.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pictorial-Railways-Locomotives-including-Department/dp/0954278720

Edited by bike2steam

Was it Hornby Magazine that covered upgrading the Crosti around the time the model first appeared? I believe they made a replacent deflector?

Stewart

edit to add: I've found my scan of the articles, Dec 2015/Jan 2016, with a scratchbuilt deflector.

• RMweb Premium

Was it Hornby Magazine that covered upgrading the Crosti around the time the model first appeared? I believe they made a replacent deflector?

Stewart

edit to add: I've found my scan of the articles, Dec 2015/Jan 2016, with a scratchbuilt deflector.

Hi Stewart,

I have that also but no drawings in the article

Peter