Where I get chipboard for my new layout

Wickes have plenty stock but no cutting timber because I need cut by 1220 into two

Where I get 9mm chipboard?

Chipboard and MDF are to heavy and too unstable. Take the advice and use 9mm plywood. It may be slightly more expensive but it is definitely the right thing for the job.

• RMweb Gold

Here we go. OP asks where can he get 12mm chipboard. Most of the answers are about alternatives.

I used 12mm chipboard on a previous layout and it gave no problems for the 12 years that layout existed.

"Excuse me. Can you tell me how to get to High Street from here?"

"Oh you should not really go to High Street. There are much better shops on Main Street" :)

Edited by Colin_McLeod
  • Like 8

Here we go. OP asks where can he get 12mm chipboard. Most of the answers are about alternatives.

I used 12mm chipboard on a previous layout and it gave no problems for the 12 years that layout existed.

"Excuse me. Can you tell me how to get to High Street from here?"

"Oh you should not really go to High Street. There are much better shops on Main Street" :)

The reason for the advice is , simply this , the Op is considering using a crap material , he has been pointed to the correct material , end of story

Chip and mdf have no place as baseboards , awful stuff in horizontal configurations

Edited by Junctionmad
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The reason for the advice is , simply this , the Op is considering using a crap material , he has been pointed to the correct material , end of story

Chip and mdf have no place as baseboards , awful stuff in horizontal configurations

If chipboard is so bad in 'horizontal configurations,

why is it used extensively for flooring?

• Like 2

Because it's 18mm minimum (not 12mm as the OP is proposing)

And I'd specify T&G to get rigidity on all the edges

plus I'd be looking at fixing to joists (not battens) at 400mm centers, so they too act as a beam.

I'm not saying T&G cannot be used as a baseboard, just answering your question.

It's also used for kitchen worktops. It is true that these are rather thicker than 12mm. Lots of flat-pack furniture is also made from it. Good support is needed to avoid sagging.

• Like 1

I've used mdf for all of my layouts. And, as long as it has propper supports is quite good.

It also suffers very badly from damp & most of us fix ballast & scenery with watered down glue.

Ply is much more tolerant, but I would still recommend sealing it with varnish.

Cheers for that advice. I'd best be off now to scrap several perfectly true chip/mdf baseboards that I have (the chip ones for over a decade).

No need for that, but perhaps don't build your next layout with it.

I've used mdf for all of my layouts. And, as long as it has propper supports is quite good.

My MDF layout was kept in the loft. It lasted about 5 years before starting to curl up at the corners. I managed to fix it with extra framework below, which made it very heavy. It also covered up the electrics but I was partly fortunate not to need any repairs to this.

Because it is supported underneath either by screed or closely spaced beams and is cheaper therefore more cost efficient particularly in domestic applications or in low use pedestrian areas. It is also more 'springy' than ply so less noisy.

Because it's 18mm minimum (not 12mm as the OP is proposing)

And I'd specify T&G to get rigidity on all the edges

plus I'd be looking at fixing to joists (not battens) at 400mm centers, so they too act as a beam.

I'm not saying T&G cannot be used as a baseboard, just answering your question.

18mm is too heavy

One of my layouts has been on 12mm chipboard for over 12 years now, granted it was free but its done the job.

It came into our factory as a layer between paper sacks and the pallets and ended up as scrap so I acquired some.

If you have factories/warehouses near you that receive palleted goods see if they have any as scrap material.

• RMweb Premium

Ok so I note the replies and agree with them.

But, and maybe I'm being a bit pedantic here,

the statement 'bad in a horizontal configuration'

is a bit of a generalisation, there was no

reference to thickness, size & spacing of support etc,

I wouldn't use it as a baseboard for the reasons

which have been quoted, but the point I was trying

to make is, there are situations where chipboard

performs well 'in a horizontal configuration',

• Like 1