27 replies to this topic

#26 Andrew Cockburn

Andrew Cockburn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 10:31

@ 009 micro modeller

I think perspective on models, certainly model railways, can often be a bit of a tricky issue, as I know from past experience. For as I may have said before, what will look right from one angle will look “out of focus” or whatever from other angle(s), therefore it can really be a matter of compromising as best we can, but using “tricks”, “cover-ups”, “illusions” or whatever. But thanks again for the positive feedback, much appreciated.

@ GeoffinOz

Thanks for the suggestion and the comment. And yes, I’ll definitely touch-up the “white bits” on the walls/apply a bit of weathering here and there. I’ve also ordered some more graffiti transfers from Hattons of Liverpool to go on the tunnel parapet (as I may have explained previously, the real-life former railway line on which this model is based originally ran through a cutting/under a road bridge, which then became a tunnel when the car park was constructed), though as I’ve said before, quite how in real life the “graffiti artists” manage to apply their “handywork” on the “railway side” of a parapet similar to the one I’ve modelled is a bit of a mystery, to me at least.

Also, re rubbish etc. in the cutting - waste paper and the like can easily be formed from scraps of paper, tissue or whatever, but as for shopping trollies, having googled these on the internet/contacted various stockists i.e. Gaugemaster, Hattons and the like, no-one seems to know of them. I believe such items are available in OO Gauge, but it seems that they’re unknown/unattainable in N, perhaps not such a surprise really, for given their make-up/nature, shopping trollies would be a bit hard to reproduce in N/2mm scale.

Fortunately, bycycles are available in N, and again in line with your suggestion, I’ve ordered some white metal versions from P & D Marsh, which can be “dumped” in the cutting, once they’ve been painted/weathered, and hopefully all the aforementioned modifications can be accomplished in the next week or so.

#27 JDW

JDW

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 925 posts
  • LocationAberdeen / Sheffield

Posted 19 February 2018 - 19:27

How about adding another deck to the car park that is fully low relief - so that the spaces you have on top are still visible, but the next level up is narrower and flat to the backscene.  The "insides" could just be dark coloured, with an additional wall and columns between the spaces (you might need to rearrange them slightly).  Not quite the same but something like this, viewed from the right hand end and without the sloped bit in the middle, would give a reason to have a higher deck above the one you have but set back from it.  Hope that makes some sense!

#28 Andrew Cockburn

Andrew Cockburn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 20:16

@ JDW .... Yes, I get your meaning/idea (thanks for which), and may just put it into practice!

• Like x 1