OO gauge GWR Mogul and Prairie

Paul.Uni

• RMweb Gold

Interesting that you say Tyseley was a blackspot as it was one of the few locations for wheel-turning in middle-England and was always attracting 'foreign' locos - I remember my older brother coming home from school (conveniently opposite the running shed) and dragging me back over there to see a Clan which had arrived for just that reason. Another time a Great Central Brit was returned by way of the local New Street-Rugby local!

Puzzled as to why Tyseley would try to get a loco back onto the GC section via New Street-Rugby, when there was never any physical connection at Rugby onto the GC. The logical way would be to send it to Banbury, from where it could go either to Woodford Halse or via the GW/GC joint to Neasden, both GC sheds. It is possible that the loco was sent across Birmingham to Saltley expecting it to be returned to the GC section somewhere in the Nottingham/Sheffield area, where several connections existed, but was then "borrowed".

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Dare I say... Bump?

Been a long while since we've heard a peep about these. 

CoY

One of the guys on Dapol Digest said an updated CAD was nearly complete five weeks ago.

One thing the Large Prairie and Mogul have in common is the use of struts from the smokebox saddle to the front buffer beam. Both Heljan (47xx) and Hornby (42xx/5205/72xx) elected to model them as metal components attached to a plastic running plate. Both have experienced difficulties as a result keeping the forward running plate straight and level. I sincerely hope Dapol will use their 'nouse' and learn from their competitors' mistakes. Two approaches seem to have worked. The Bachmann 45xx/4575 also use metal struts.....but then they also use a diecast running plate and as a result there are no problems. Hornby elected to use plastic struts on the 28xx/2884 on a plastic running plate. That combination seems to have worked reasonably well too, the additional benefit of plastic struts being that they can be made much finer.

I have high hopes of the forthcoming Dapol models. Their intelligent, receptive response to the criticisms of the initial CADs is in stark contrast to the attitudes of some of their competitors. Time and the second batch of CADs will show if my hopes are justified!

Andy.

• RMweb Gold

One thing the Large Prairie and Mogul have in common is the use of struts from the smokebox saddle to the front buffer beam. Both Heljan (47xx) and Hornby (42xx/5205/72xx) elected to model them as metal components attached to a plastic running plate. Both have experienced difficulties as a result keeping the forward running plate straight and level. I sincerely hope Dapol will use their 'nouse' and learn from their competitors' mistakes. Two approaches seem to have worked. The Bachmann 45xx/4575 also use metal struts.....but then they also use a diecast running plate and as a result there are no problems. Hornby elected to use plastic struts on the 28xx/2884 on a plastic running plate. That combination seems to have worked reasonably well too, the additional benefit of plastic struts being that they can be made much finer.

I have high hopes of the forthcoming Dapol models. Their intelligent, receptive response to the criticisms of the initial CADs is in stark contrast to the attitudes of some of their competitors. Time and the second batch of CADs will show if my hopes are justified!

Andy.

It's how we word our concerns. If you charge in with critism, then then it's a short path to indifference between client & producer. If however, we make 'observations', with recommendations & solutions, we stand a good chance of 'right first time'.  It's probably costs far less to make a good model, than a bad model, if you follow my drift. However, you're quite right when you point out that some producers would have an easier ride when they listen.

Cheers,

Ian.  

My suspicion is what the struts are made of is irrelevant, on the model they will be decorative and both metal and plastic can easily be done in the scale dimensions necessary although metal can go much thinner than practical for plastic.

Far more important will be the hidden portion of the design of the running plate and whether it properly keeps the entire running plate rigid or not.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

it is possible that frame distortion on Hornby 42xx/5205/72xx is a result of the metal struts (in reality intended to strengthen the front buffer beam which was likely to take a few minor impacts occasionally and had proved not up to the tase on 43xx) is caused by expansion and contraction of the strut.  I have had no trouble with 4287, which lives permanently in the living area of the flat on a bedroom layout and does not suffer extremes of temperature like it would on an attic, cellar, or garden shed layout.

Perhaps Swindon should have beefed up the construction of their front ends, but on some loco would have had an eye on overall weight; in any case they never did.  A weak prototypical front assembly correctly modelled will lead to a weak model version; mdvie's comment is highly relevant. My opinion is that plastic struts are best on plastic models, but the frame needs to support the plastic footplate, rather flimsy on a GW loco, adequately and firmly.  This probably cannot be done with a plastic frame of scale appearance.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

My suspicion is what the struts are made of is irrelevant, on the model they will be decorative and both metal and plastic can easily be done in the scale dimensions necessary although metal can go much thinner than practical for plastic.

Far more important will be the hidden portion of the design of the running plate and whether it properly keeps the entire running plate rigid or not.

Think you're right. Thinking back to past models, from Mainline onwards, a sloping footplate wasn't unusual, even with plastic struts, and I suspect resulted from a weakness in the design of the footplate.

Nigel

• RMweb Gold

Think you're right. Thinking back to past models, from Mainline onwards, a sloping footplate wasn't unusual, even with plastic struts, and I suspect resulted from a weakness in the design of the footplate.

Nigel

It is of course a problem that many real-life locos experienced as well.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

That’s a lot of individual pieces to make the firebox fittings/drivers controls, including the plate above the firebox door... anyone make a drivers Tea can in OO ?

For that matter, I'd like to see tea sloshing about on the fireman's tea bottle. No sugar:-I'm on a diet....

• Like 1

For that matter, I'd like to see tea sloshing about on the fireman's tea bottle. No sugar:-I'm on a diet....

HEY! Lets go the whole hog... crew with cigarettes actually smoking! Whilst holding a shovel with scale bagon and eggs on it of course...

• Like 3

Dapol have told that TTS will be going on the new mogul & Prairie.

TTS... Tea, Toast & Sandwiches....

Sound... The clanking of false teeth, and the slurping of weak tea.... Yeuch!

Ian.

I thought it was the Mk1 O gauge coaches TTS Turgid Turd Sluice for an authentic 4 foot experience.