Eureka AD60 HO Garratt problem

marklandjt

I have had a Eureka HO Garratt for several years running beautifully ..this has a QSI decoder ...until an inadvertant hefty short circuit the other day since when, despite the decoder being reset every which way (CVs in Ops mode, Magnetic wand, on DC) it steadfastly refuses to move (DCC or DC) despite making sounds and lights functioning correctly. The loco clearly has power.

I am assuming that the problem is with the decoder (unless someone can convince me otherwise) and am trying to get the boiler off to see what version of the hardware I have... and to see what options I might have to change/test the motors with a different decoder.

The 2 holding down screws have been removed as per the instructions and some how or other I appear to have been able to release one side of the boiler but not the other...and am totally stuck.

I  know of no one in the UK who can advise.. would be most grateful for useful advice on several accounts... the lack of motion, removing the boiler, changing the decoder (maybe to soundtraxx which I am more familiar with) ..also testing the motors without the centre section (is that feasible?)

Grateful for all help... (in the absence of any email response from Eureka)

I have had a Eureka HO Garratt for several years running beautifully ..this has a QSI decoder ...until an inadvertant hefty short circuit the other day since when, despite the decoder being reset every which way (CVs in Ops mode, Magnetic wand, on DC) it steadfastly refuses to move (DCC or DC) despite making sounds and lights functioning correctly. The loco clearly has power.

I am assuming that the problem is with the decoder (unless someone can convince me otherwise) and am trying to get the boiler off to see what version of the hardware I have... and to see what options I might have to change/test the motors with a different decoder.

The 2 holding down screws have been removed as per the instructions and some how or other I appear to have been able to release one side of the boiler but not the other...and am totally stuck.

I  know of no one in the UK who can advise.. would be most grateful for useful advice on several accounts... the lack of motion, removing the boiler, changing the decoder (maybe to soundtraxx which I am more familiar with) ..also testing the motors without the centre section (is that feasible?)

Hi,

have you looked and tried these suggestions?

Try pressing (I think) F9 twice!

Something that I have come across previously with QSI decoders is the "Disconnect" function (F6 twice) - this correlates with you having lights and sound but no drive, it may be that the short has been interpreted thus by the decoder.

HTH,

John. 

I had similar problems with a Proto E7 (with QSI Decoders) and an Broadway Limited E8 (with Tsunami). Sound and lights yes, but nothing moved... and yes, the QSI has this F6 Thing, but that was not the solution...

I let my father made dummies out of them (with sound, of course). But I don't think that you want your beast as a dummy... :jester:

Good luck

Simon

Thanks for all the responses... I have reset the decoder many times ...and done the F6/F9 business many times ..the motors will run on DC so it is clearly a decoder issue. whether it is fatal or not is still not clear... am minded to change the decoder if I can ever get the boiler off!

Have you tried doing the resets on the programming track?

My cheat sheet for the QSI fitted to the 60 class has the following long list for resetting the thing.

49=128, 50=255, 56=113

However I have never needed to do it.

good luck

cheers

Bob

indeed I have...

I now have the boiler off ...next step is to see what I can test

OK, well good luck. I can't imagine a s/c blowing all the motor driver FETs, I would be thinking only those used in the direction the loco was travelling at the time. So it should be still capable of driving in the other direction.

Do you have any terminators fitted to the track?

I see on railpage you state it runs on dc and presents a high current load on DCC. Sounds like the decoder is trying to run both sides of the H bridge on DCC, got itself very confused due to the short circuit overvoltage.

Probably easier to replace the chip.

Put some terminators on the track if you don't have any now, might stop it happening next time.

Bob

Edited by robertc