The London Festival of Railway Modelling, Ally Pally-24 to 25 March 2018

BRMExhibitions

• RMweb Premium

Definitely the W3.  From experience when I have got there too early, the shuttle bus seems to start about 08:15 ish, there is usually at least 100+ in the queue outside the door by 08:30 and I have been told the first ones back in the old Bachmann Scrum days used to turn up even earlier than that!!

Thanks for that John. Doesn’t sound like too much fun. Perhaps I’ll do as I usually do for Warley and try and time my arrival for 5 or 10mins after the doors open. Give the queue a little time to ease.

Eminently sensible. It's even more sensible to come on Sunday unless you're on some kind of supermarket sweep; as with most shows it's about 60:40 across the two days and that reduction in crowds on the Sunday means you can enjoy the layouts a lot more.

• RMweb Premium

Eminently sensible. It's even more sensible to come on Sunday unless you're on some kind of supermarket sweep; as with most shows it's about 60:40 across the two days and that reduction in crowds on the Sunday means you can enjoy the layouts a lot more.

Absolutely agree. I hope to go this year, but it will be Sunday. It's always been quieter and even the kids (that there are more of as it's kind of the 'family' day) have, for the most part, been well behaved. It's true that there are fewer bargains as they've generally gone by then, but I can live with that. It's also true that there are fewer enthusiasts for catching up with, but for me that's actually a plus as I struggle with the social side of the hobby (as I do in all walks of life).

We're lining up some special guests on the MRC stand (number 4, between Bachmann and Hornby) over both days for some short interviews - the schedule will be confirmed nearer the time but already includes Tim Watson, Simon Kohler, some of the participants in the "Biggest Little Railway in the World", Dapol & Bachmann.

Over the last few days we've been previewing the layouts on Twitter and Instagram, follow us here to see more:

Twitter - @modelrailclub

Instagram - themodelrailwayclub

And if you are sharing on social media, please use the hashtag #LFORM

Edited by tc

• RMweb Gold

good idea, i'm 95c in the big hall but where I don't know, a floor plan would have been good with the final paper work!!

Ray

Fort Myers is stand 106, not far form the big organ and loading bay which is handy. You are not far away to us, just the other side of the Furness clubs Swiss Pass

More importantly, need to work out where we will be drinking apres show  - at least we will be in the same area of the hall to discuss this :sungum:

Edited by roundhouse

good idea, i'm 95c in the big hall but where I don't know, a floor plan would have been good with the final paper work!!

Ray

Ray,

You are in the "International Quarter", Great Hall, about 45 degrees to starboard as you come through the loading bay. About 45 degrees to port for visitors coming the rough their entrance.

Tom

• Like 1

Ray

In the final instructions letter from Nick Freezer is a link to the Warners exhibition site, where you will find the exhibition floor plan.

I found some pdf floor plans and a separate list of exhibitors with stand numbers on the Warner's Exhibitions web site under the section for this show. You have to look for it. I think this is aimed at exhibitors rather than the GP.  (I note there are a handful of differences between the list of exhibitors on here and what is shown elsewhere - unless the latter has been updated since I looked )

It's a shame there's nothing for customers easily available on the 'public exhibition website' (yet) brochures are available to buy on the day but personally I like to identify where the things are which I particularly want to see before I arrive.

I wasn't planning on going this year but I've got a bit of spare time but, unfortunately, not a lot of cash! Can only get there on Sat so I hope it's not too busy,  I'm looking forward to seeing the layouts and hope to catch up with Friday Bridge and 59th and Rust, which I've never seen before.

Steve.

I'm planning on attending on the Sunday, I'll be driving down from the North West (considerably cheaper than the train!) where is the best place to park?

Google doesn't seem much help.

There is a car park at the bottom of the hill and a shuttle bus to take you up unless you fancy a walk

• RMweb Gold

There is a car park at the bottom of the hill and a shuttle bus to take you up unless you fancy a walk

Some people might regard that as a slight understatement.

Some people might actually find the walk back down from "Ally Pally" to the railway station (and perhaps on to Wood Green) quite pleasant.

I don't think too many would really fancy the walk up there in the morning.

Huw.

• Administrators

With the show now just a few days away, we're giving visitors the chance to pre-subscribe to BRM to guarantee their free gift (which they need to collect at the show)! As an added incentive, everyone who pre-subscribes will be given a FREE ticket to next year's show!

This year we're giving new subscribers the choice of four gifts, including the following laser-cut Portable Tool Box (not including the products inside - they're Phil Parker's!). Click here to pre-subscribe and then visit the BRM stand to collect your gift!.

post-14186-0-58315600-1521643945_thumb.jpg

You can also choose a BRM Workstation + A4 cutting mat...

post-14186-0-95909900-1521643997_thumb.jpg

+ we have two Hornby locomotives for you to choose from. Click here to see which models they are!

REMEMBER, THIS IS THE ONLY WAY TO GUARANTEE YOUR FREE GIFT AND GET A FREE TICKET TO NEXT YEAR'S SHOW!

• RMweb Premium

Just been checking travel details for Saturday and am astounded that there is no direct National Rail service between King's Cross and Alexandra Palace anymore!!  All goes to/from Moorgate now which is about as much use as a concrete parachute...

Back to plan 'B', Piccadilly Line to Wood Green and free bus or W3 from there...  Preferred Plan 'A' as I don't have to pay on Great Northern!!

Edited by John M Upton

Some people might regard that as a slight understatement.

Some people might actually find the walk back down from "Ally Pally" to the railway station (and perhaps on to Wood Green) quite pleasant.

I don't think too many would really fancy the walk up there in the morning.

Huw.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.595444,-0.1274236,3a,64.6y,109.57h,92.33t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1stlMMgKvaCJm3Nolsc6aMig!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.595444,-0.1274236,3a,64.6y,228.63h,92.61t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1stlMMgKvaCJm3Nolsc6aMig!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Just been checking travel details for Saturday and am astounded that there is no direct National Rail service between King's Cross and Alexandra Palace anymore!!  All goes to/from Moorgate now which is about as much use as a concrete parachute...

Back to plan 'B', Piccadilly Line to Wood Green and free bus or W3 from there...  Preferred Plan 'A' as I don't have to pay on Great Northern!!

This was already the case last year.

Noting though that there is the cross platform interchange with the Victoria Line at Highbury and Islington. Also connections to two London Overground Lines.

However a better reason for NOT using the Great Northern (particularly on the Sunday) was the shocking amount of cancellations encountered last year due to 'driver shortage'.

Edited by jonathan452

It's all Oyster card, last year I did Euston to Finsbury Park on the underground and class 313 to Alexandria Palace - going back I went via Moorgate for the experience.

The ones at the top are mostly reserved for exhibitors, and fill early.

They're not reserved, but they do get used by exhibitors. Tbh by the time you've walked round, the bus ride from the lower car parks is easier. Also if you are staying to the end, the lower car park is often quicker to get out of.

Ray

In the final instructions letter from Nick Freezer is a link to the Warners exhibition site, where you will find the exhibition floor plan.

You mean you've actually GOT the final instructions letter?

Still waiting mine.

Les (Hawthorn Dene, stand 184)