Little Lawley

• RMweb Premium

Oh well done! The Lack has its limitations, but having looked inside mine I reckon it will remain stable and flat over time - there is nothing inside able to shrink or expand and push it out of shape. A ready-made shelf also constrains you to work within a set space, instead of building something as big as possible to go into the space available.

I do hope your new home has a postcode. Mine didn't, and getting services billed, as opposed to merely up and running, was long-winded.

- Richard.

Thank you gentlemen. Apologies for the radio silence but, not content with the house move next week, I also have a university assignment due on Monday. Coupled with a full time job and there is no time for modelling - or barely even for thinking of it - currently.

Although I may have bought another Crowood Press book (Modelling Branchlines) as a post uni deadline treat!

The TSR (Thompson Steam Railway) based at Little Lawley - not to be confused with the TSR (Telford Steam Railway) based at Lawley ;-) - are delighted to announce that negotiations to add a steam loco to their roster from another preserved railway have concluded positively. Hopefully a new loco will arrive at the yet-to-be-laid track at Little Lawley very soon.

• Like 1

img_0130.jpg?w=300

The TSR (Thompson Steam Railway) at Little Lawley have today taken possession of a rather well-known new steam engine.

The 38th book of the Railway Series by Rev W Awdry - and latterly his son Christopher - was about an Austerity locomotive, Wilbert, which was based on the Dean Forest Railway. It was a special request from the Railway after they had named that very loco Wilbert after the Railway Series' creator in 1987.

Wilbert has become quite a celebrity and this has led to the Dean Forest Railway commissioning 200 of these locos from DJ Models.

Mine arrived today.

img_0131.jpg?w=300

First impressions are excellent. The box is great with wonderful foam inserts that fit perfectly. The loco is beautifully finished (particularly noteworthy is the crisp printing on the nameplate), with a few extra details to add. Operational staff at the TSR are said to be extremely impressed.

Sadly Wilbert is currently unable to steam as the fictional TSR have yet to lay any track in order for him to stretch his wheels but all staff are looking forward to seeing Wilbert in action.

• Like 5

00195.jpg?w=230&h=300

There is a high likelihood that this will be last post for a couple of weeks. With the move taking place this weekend we will have no Broadband (first world problems or what?!) for until early February.

Where does this leave modelling? Sadly it's pretty much bottom of the list. And here’s the irony; because I’ve got no time and no resources (everything being packed away) to do it, I’ve got lots of mojo to model. Typical. The book above has arrived and I’ve had a flick through it. Again, it looks good but potentially not in the same league as the George Dent one. There’s less actual modelling in it than I thought as the book leans more towards prototype discussion. That said, I’m looking forward to diving in properly when time allows. I’m also hopeful that the domestic authority will deliver another Crowood book (Narrow Gauge in Small Spaces) for my forthcoming birthday. Not that I’m planning anything Narrow Gauge, I just find Chris Ford’s modelling very inspirational.

With modelling time being limited I’ve had to content myself with working out a few little projects to tackle when time allows. If I do decide on the Inglenook – I’m currently leaning back towards the prototypical fork arrangement – for Little Lawley then I’ll need more rolling stock. The Bachmann insulated blue van appeals (no reason why) and I’d want to weather it using some tips from Mr Dent’s book. I also want to revisit the Oxford 7-plank wagon and re-weather it using the same book, whilst I’d like to get hold of an Oxford 4-wheel Toad and see what I can do with them.

So, lots I’d like to do. Sadly, at the moment, there really aren’t enough hours in the day.

Edited by Chris 66522

• 2 weeks later...

img_0172.jpg?w=300

We're just about shipshape in chez Thompson, with the last missing link (Broadband - first world problems or what!?) being installed yesterday. My new office has taken shape nicely and already has the board for Little Lawley up. I wasted little time in placing a few items on it to get a feel for what I'm looking to create.

However, modelling is still not something I have lots of time for. That said, as and when time exists I will be able to do things and that's ok with me.

During the moving process I think I've decided against an inglenook and will stick with the prototypical fork arrangement. The station does have Rail in place to suggest a run-round loop is planned in the future, modelling this in-between set-up might prove to be fun.

I'm also in the midst of making a to-do list that includes buying track etc (a birthday next week will hopefully provide funds) whilst I'm also looking at what stock I can work on.

img_0174.jpg?w=300

I've had this MFA for a long time and never really done anything with it. I quite fancy weathering it and using it as P-Way train for the heritage line. Using the George Dent weathering book as a guide (and to try a few new tricks out!) I think that it's going to be my next project!

img_0184.jpg?w=300

When taking the above photo I realised that Wilbert had been neglected and I had not added his couplings or his detail pack, leaving his face somewhat blank.

img_0185.jpg?w=300

Ten minutes later all was well and Wilbert's face was looking less blank and far more characterful than before. I am debating trying to get hold of a Hornby 'spare' face from the Thomas range to be able to place on every so often. Maybe, maybe not.

img_0186.jpg?w=300

A quick simple job, but one that was enjoyable as it was lovely to do a bit of modelling again. The next project is in the background - although it's hard to tell on the above photo - as I've researched a couple of pics of my MFA 391102 and it's interesting to say the least!

img_0187.jpg?w=300

But back to Wilbert. He was placed on Little Lawley and coupled up to the engineers train currently in the station... although with just the one piece of track, how it got there is anyone's guess!

• Like 3

On my way back to Crewe yesterday - to watch the football - we stopped at Trident Trains. There were a few little bits purchased (ballast, buffer stops and a length of flexi) but I also finally got hold of an Oxford 4-wheel Toad. I know it has faults but, for what I paid, I couldn't say no.

img_0197.jpg?w=225

I wasn't too bothered which make it was as I'm toying with repainting it to match the one at Telford. I will remove the Acton markings though, regardless.

img_0198.jpg?w=300

Finally for today, here is an overall shot of Little Lawley. The point is a set-track one which I think I'll replace. I'm not sure yet. Overall, however, I'm quite happy with how things look.

What's next? I'm not quite sure, yet.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I suggest have a play with some of the Peco point templates. A medium radius point will look much better than the Setrack one if there is enough space. Partly because the larger point is longer, but also because the models will create less 'swing' when they run over it.

- Richard.

I suggest have a play with some of the Peco point templates. A medium radius point will look much better than the Setrack one if there is enough space. Partly because the larger point is longer, but also because the models will create less 'swing' when they run over it.

- Richard.

Absolutely, I probably should have bought one on Saturday if I'm honest but thought I'd get away with the setrack. The more I look at it, the more I don't like it.

Ah well, if I order online something else might slip into the shopping basket!  :-)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It occurs to me, we are both making layouts on the same size Lack shelf with the same track plan.

Yours in 4 mm scale, mine in 3.5 mm. 

Yours of a real location, mine an imaginary one

Both equipped to take short passenger trains

Both with a siding for a PW train or similar

When all this is over it might be quite telling to put the two layouts side by side some when and see how similar and how different they are.

I used a Peco large radius point and I've just measured up, my two sidings will each take a train about 20 inches / 500 mm long. I really chose this point because it was a chance to try out the new Peco bullhead range and it is very good, and I reckon well worth the extra cost when viewed in terms of the total expenditure on a project like this.

- Richard.

• Like 1

It occurs to me, we are both making layouts on the same size Lack shelf with the same track plan.

Yours in 4 mm scale, mine in 3.5 mm. 

Yours of a real location, mine an imaginary one

Both equipped to take short passenger trains

Both with a siding for a PW train or similar

When all this is over it might be quite telling to put the two layouts side by side some when and see how similar and how different they are.

I used a Peco large radius point and I've just measured up, my two sidings will each take a train about 20 inches / 500 mm long. I really chose this point because it was a chance to try out the new Peco bullhead range and it is very good, and I reckon well worth the extra cost when viewed in terms of the total expenditure on a project like this.

- Richard.

You are quite right, there are a lot of similarities between the two. One major difference would be that I'm enclosing the whole thing (fiddle area included) on the one shelf, so there will have to be an offstage area.

I printed a Peco template off and, having left it in situ have now ordered a small radius turnout. It looks far better just using the template and some track by it so I've gone with it.

Fairport has given me quite a lot of inspiration, I must say.

The left hand insulfrog point I ordered arrived on Thursday (amazing service by Track Shack, incidentally, as it was ordered on Wednesday afternoon). I wasted no time cutting the track and clipping everything together.

I plugged the controller in, placed Wilbert in the 'tunnel' and out he came, cab-first, chuffing gallantly and proudly towards the point, which was set to go on the siding. He tackled the point blade with ease and then...

Stutter. Stall.

A quick prod got him going again. This time, going forwards, the point was no problem at all. So I tried him in reverse again.

Frog. Stutter. Stall. Curse.

Having looked around it seems the issue is Wilbert's 6 wheel arrangement with short wheel base locks being an issue over insulfrog points.

Can I solve this in any way?

On a micro I think track laying and running needs to be perfect. I've relaid the point and track to make it as flat as possible. That seemed to cure the issue going into the siding but left the main line a bit stuttery.

Wiring is not my bag, the thoughts of soldering extra picks ups or extra feeds under the point bring me out in a cold sweat!

Any help would be gratefully received.

The left hand insulfrog point I ordered arrived on Thursday (amazing service by Track Shack, incidentally, as it was ordered on Wednesday afternoon). I wasted no time cutting the track and clipping everything together.

I plugged the controller in, placed Wilbert in the 'tunnel' and out he came, cab-first, chuffing gallantly and proudly towards the point, which was set to go on the siding. He tackled the point blade with ease and then...

Stutter. Stall.

A quick prod got him going again. This time, going forwards, the point was no problem at all. So I tried him in reverse again.

Frog. Stutter. Stall. Curse.

Having looked around it seems the issue is Wilbert's 6 wheel arrangement with short wheel base locks being an issue over insulfrog points.

Can I solve this in any way?

On a micro I think track laying and running needs to be perfect. I've relaid the point and track to make it as flat as possible. That seemed to cure the issue going into the siding but left the main line a bit stuttery.

Wiring is not my bag, the thoughts of soldering extra picks ups or extra feeds under the point bring me out in a cold sweat!

Any help would be gratefully received.

Normally you would hope that an 0-6-0 would be able to get over the point in both directions because of its 6 pickups. I think that your best bet would be to use an electrofrog point to stop stalling but that requires additional wiring and getting a new point. I dont think you can do much to fix this problem with the insulfrog point but I could be wrong. Are you planning to operate the layout dcc?

Thanks Luke. No plans for DCC. However, having had another little look this morning I think it could (?) be to do with how’s the track is laid. It is not perfectly flat, with an ever so slight rise. That said, I’ve run Wilbert a few times and it’s much better than yesterday. The track is only placed at the moment anyway so when I lay it i’ll Make sure it’s flat as a pancake.

Not sure how you can solve your point problem apart from an electro frog point, if you intend to run only one engine at a time ( no two locomotives on the layout at the same time ) then no extra wiring would be needed and you would get better running, if on the other hand you want to have two locomotives on at the same time then all I can think of is making sure all the fish plates are tight, track is flat/clean etc.

Jerry.

Not sure how you can solve your point problem apart from an electro frog point, if you intend to run only one engine at a time ( no two locomotives on the layout at the same time ) then no extra wiring would be needed and you would get better running, if on the other hand you want to have two locomotives on at the same time then all I can think of is making sure all the fish plates are tight, track is flat/clean etc.

Jerry.

You could wire it all live for dcc electro frog then have a very basic single isolating switch for the station platform.

• RMweb Premium

It may be, one or two of Wilbert's pickups is not touching its wheel properly. I suggest you try connecting the controller directly to each pair of wheels in turn, see if the motor runs. A modern engine will usually run through point work without hesitating ... the only real problem I've found on my own layout is with an 0-4-0 engine where I put a rail break exactly the length of the wheelbase away from the crossing gap, and created some trackwork where the engine always stops.

- Richard.

img_0284.jpg?w=300

The humble Peco buffer stop. I'd been toying with some fancier versions but decided I could do some proper modelling using these as the starting point. A few cuts here and there, followed by a whisp of primer and I had the above.

img_0286-1.jpg?w=300

Next up, using the photo in an old Heritage Railway magazine for reference, came the painting. Burnt umber, red, black and an off white did the trick. I want to weather lightly, then varnish them using matt varnish, just to stop the paint flaking.

img_0289-1.jpg?w=300

Finally, a test fit. Excuse the poor light (iPhone camera in hazy artificial light) but overall I'm pretty pleased with how they've turned out.

• Like 3

img_0304.jpg?w=300

Today, in an effort to do some actual modelling, has seen me paint my Toad. Formerly an Acton, GWR grey, it is now bauxite, in keeping with the TSR's version. I've used Humbrol acrylic (no 70) and brush painted. It's taken well and the few areas where the coverage isn't perfect don't overly matter as some weathering will take care of them. I do want to add the Wellington R. U. letters and any other relevant signs as well - they'll have to be a custom job I think.

img_0303.jpg?w=300

Finally, here's a quick shot just to check how things look overall on Little Lawley. Quite happy if I'm honest, but as Mr Portillo will have quite a climb to get on any carriage currently, I'm thinking the platform should be my next job.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

img_0316.jpg?w=300

Today I've done a bit of work on the landscape at Little Lawley. I've decided to experiment and have used floral foam. It's lightweight, easy to shape and easy to cut. The next step is to paper mache over the top and paint it before applying static grass and other green scenic items.

P.S. I mentioned doing the platform next on my last post. You'll spot I've started it, however it's a work in progress. Once it's done I'll post about it.

• Like 6

img_0316.jpg?w=300

Today I've done a bit of work on the landscape at Little Lawley. I've decided to experiment and have used floral foam. It's lightweight, easy to shape and easy to cut. The next step is to paper mache over the top and paint it before applying static grass and other green scenic items.

P.S. I mentioned doing the platform next on my last post. You'll spot I've started it, however it's a work in progress. Once it's done I'll post about it.

The layout is really coming together nicely now. Good idea with the floral foam you will have to let us know how it works out.