Little Lawley

img_0356.jpg?w=300

The more I looked at the platform the more I disliked it. I tried adding the ballast, hoping that would help. It didn't - which is hardly surprising as I didn't like the ballast - so the platform is gone.

img_0357.jpg?w=300

This is the view at Little Lawley now. No platform. No trains. I've decided to start a bit of ballasting whilst I work out how to sort the platform out - luckily I kept the template for the platform top!

img_0356.jpg?w=300

The more I looked at the platform the more I disliked it. I tried adding the ballast, hoping that would help. It didn't - which is hardly surprising as I didn't like the ballast - so the platform is gone.

img_0357.jpg?w=300

This is the view at Little Lawley now. No platform. No trains. I've decided to start a bit of ballasting whilst I work out how to sort the platform out - luckily I kept the template for the platform top!

When I wanted a textured platform top in oo gauge I used beach sand which I then painted with thinned enamel paints. Maybe something similar would work on your platform.

img_0356.jpg?w=300

img_0357.jpg?w=300

How about using a fine grit sandpaper or wet and dry paper for the platform surface, that might help.

Regards John.

The concrete struts up the front of the platform are too prominent. Try weathering with diluted Matt black wash?

I was going to weather them but, having decided to restart the whole platform i’ll trial a wash first.

• RMweb Premium

For the platform surface, try a gloss enamel paint - black or grey or cream - sprinkle talcum powder onto the wet paint and tip off the excess straight away.

I made up some test patches, and when dry wrote on the Humbrol paint number so I could recreate them. The talcum powder soaks up the carrier in the paint, so the area becomes touch dry very quickly. If you spread the paint on thickly (much more thickly than if simply applying a coat of paint) you can try distressing the surface whilst still soft to make it look worn.

The basic idea here is from Gordon Gravett's excellent book on modelling ground surfaces.

- Richard.

Guest ShildonShunter

Chris I think with ballasting everybody has their own techniques you either like or don't like it I know when I ballast I always panic but as long as you take your time you won't go far wrong.:)

Thanks Luke, Matt and Shildon.

Luckily, I finished the last of the ballasting last night (hooray!) so it’s currently setting. I also ordered some static grass, so building up the basic ground cover and re-making the platforms are my next job to do.

Sadly, at this moment I think the layout is receiving the Beeching axe. All enthusiasm, as usual around this time, has completely gone.

I need to remember that I really enjoy working on kits, stock and buildings, but I really struggle with keeping the motivation for a layout, so anything planned needs to be micro-micro, nano, if you will. I’ve been mulling lots of things recently; possibly 0 gauge (ruled out, too expensive) or building up more 00 gauge wagon kits (possible). .

For now, no major modelling. Not a bad place to be in as, even though it’s Easter, I have lots of university work to do!

Guest ShildonShunter

Chris give yourself a break away from your modelling I find if I bombard my head with loads of ideas I loose interest a little. Move away from the layout and have an egg or two Chris.

post-33479-0-77210900-1522580811.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...