My shelf layout journal

Conrail Joe

Hello everyone! New guy on the forum! I was directed here by AlcanMan, from youtube. It seems like a great active forum.

My name is Joe. I'm 41 years old from Rhode Island. I'm a fulltime college student on my way to a masters and an eventual Doctorate in clinical psychology. Why full-time college now you ask? Long story short, I used to drive a tractor trailer, but had a stroke in 2015, leaving me unable to drive commercially. As an Army veteran the VA has a rehab program to retrain me for a different career!

I've loved trains since I can remember. I have had a few completed layouts over the years, but have been layout-less for almost ten years.....yes ten!!!

I have gotten my fix weekly by attending operating sessions with a great group of guys, on their layouts. I also belong to a modular group, and attend operating sessions at a large club layout, the Providence Northern. I'll be posting up pictures every week of some great layouts I get to operate on!

The main reason why I have been without a layout is my fear of boredom with a small layout. I've realized that if I was bored with a layout then it would mean i HAVE a layout, which is better than not having one!

Following Alcanman's lead, I've decided to start with the same foot print... 9' x 15". I do have room for larger, but less is more right now! I'm debating between either the palmettospur as he has done, OR closer to home the Providence & Worcester Railroad's Slatersville running tracks. here's a description of the area. It's an end of a branch line, with a team track (with dock) a possible propane dealer, and a spur that goes into a building. I plan on freelancing the industries, but trying to stay as true to the prototype as I can with the track plan.

Last Picture is the track plan. I will have a staging cassette at the left end.

post-33331-0-92006600-1513891413_thumb.png

post-33331-0-29015300-1513891438_thumb.png

post-33331-0-63687000-1513891453_thumb.png

post-33331-0-87346000-1513891467_thumb.png

post-33331-0-75336800-1513891621_thumb.png

• Like 17

Dear Joe,

Love the plan as described, and the trackplan as shown,

(I see a Walthers "Buds Trucking", and  single-lane overhead and standalone cross-buck combo in your future...)
however I'm prompted to ask, do you intend to build it "dead straight and parallel to the edge" as shown?

Looking at the overhead satellite view, I'm struck that it's almost a "ready to go" shelf layout plan as-is,
and the broad gentle curve is inherrently intriguing in both proto and model form...
(with a "curve radius" measured in 10s of actual-feet, un/coupling on the curve should not pose any issues)

Can't wait to see how this layout-build progresses :-)

Happy Modelling,
Aim to Improve,
Prof Klyzlr

• Like 2

Welcome Joe.  It's great to know you've started building your layout. The location looks interesting, I can just imagine P&W power switching the spurs.

I'm a big fan of the 3 switch Inglenook track plan. In fact, I've rebuilt Marlborough to the same track arrangement. 

Look forward to seeing your progress.

Mal

• Like 1

Dear Joe,

Love the plan as described, and the trackplan as shown,

(I see a Walthers "Buds Trucking", and  single-lane overhead and standalone cross-buck combo in your future...)

however I'm prompted to ask, do you intend to build it "dead straight and parallel to the edge" as shown?

Looking at the overhead satellite view, I'm struck that it's almost a "ready to go" shelf layout plan as-is,

and the broad gentle curve is inherrently intriguing in both proto and model form...

(with a "curve radius" measured in 10s of actual-feet, un/coupling on the curve should not pose any issues)

Can't wait to see how this layout-build progresses :-)

Happy Modelling,

Aim to Improve,

Prof Klyzlr

Thanks for the welcomes!

You make a great point, I agree it would be more aesthetically pleasing to the eye if it followed the broad gentle curve like the proto-type does. Thank you for pointing that out!

As promised from yesterday, the benchwork pictures! 

I decided to stray from open grid with pine 1" x 4"'s and use cabinet grade plywood. I wanted the shadow box effect, without any braces exposed holding up the canopy/roof. My pet peeve is dust. It drives me insane seeing dust on any of my equipment or layout. Using 5/8" thickness plywood, I cut out 4 "C"'s, that would be the skeleton and back bone of the benchwork. After messing around a bit cutting out a few pieces, I realized how incredibly strong the plywood is. I decided to go with a size of 2", as opposed to the normal 3 1/2" i'm used of using with traditional pine 1" x 4"'s. I dusted off the table saw and cut a few of the 1" x 4"'s down to 2" to match the plywood size.  Overall size is 9' x 17", with an operating surface of 9' x 15". The outside height is 18", and the inside height is 13 1/2". Using a small skewer I can comfortably uncouple cars.

Don't mind the multi colors of the wood, (recycled wood from previous layout ventures!) I'll be running out to the hardware store today to buy some paint to cover that up! As soon as I get it presentable, I'll be bringing it up to the living room, and out of the garage.

I'll let the pictures do the rest of the talking!

Not sure why the pics are sideways....

post-33331-0-97515600-1513946900_thumb.jpg

post-33331-0-83433500-1513946914_thumb.jpg

post-33331-0-94792000-1513946928_thumb.jpg

post-33331-0-69030000-1513946944_thumb.jpg

post-33331-0-54676500-1513946957_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Welcome Joe.  It's great to know you've started building your layout. The location looks interesting, I can just imagine P&W power switching the spurs.

I'm a big fan of the 3 switch Inglenook track plan. In fact, I've rebuilt Marlborough to the same track arrangement. 

Look forward to seeing your progress.

Mal

Thanks Mal!!

I was trying to post some pictures of last nights op session on my friend Don's P & W 25' 45' double deck Ho scale layout, but I cant seem to figure out why my pics are loading side ways! Instead I'll throw a link to a cab ride on his layout! All the scenery is complete, this video was shot five years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0xghKrQjcY&list=UUTFR3r0maEy-cwkPtwnMYFg&index=30

• Like 2

Made it to the home depot and bought some paint. The season I will be modeling is late november, my favorite time of the year. For a back drop color, I chose the lightest shade of grey I could find. I also bought some flat black paint for the legs and fascia, so no bare wood will be exposed.  Up next is installing the lights. I have (5) 6" flourescent lamps. 

I know I'm new, and apologize in advance, but could be as kind as to explain to me how to post a picture without it being rotated? Thanks~!

post-33331-0-66292200-1513977165_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Dear Joe,

Guess you are taking your pics with an iwhatever? If so :

- Try to take the pics with the phone oriented "right way up" (Apple try to be clever and "auto upright" all images, Unfortunately this mechanism more-often-than-not causes "double negative" rotation,thus getting it wrong)

- Disable "auto rotate" mode

- throw the images thru even a basic image-editor and resize/resave them "in correct spec" before posting

FWIW

Happy modelling,

Aim to Improve,

Prof Klyzlr

Made it to the home depot and bought some paint. The season I will be modeling is late november, my favorite time of the year. For a back drop color, I chose the lightest shade of grey I could find. I also bought some flat black paint for the legs and fascia, so no bare wood will be exposed.  Up next is installing the lights. I have (5) 6" flourescent lamps. 

I know I'm new, and apologize in advance, but could be as kind as to explain to me how to post a picture without it being rotated? Thanks~!

Nice work. Interesting that you are going to model 'late November'. Presumably that means no fall foliage and leafless trees?

I once tried some fall foliage but wasn't  entirely happy with the results.

post-7898-0-54463100-1514023398_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Nice work. Interesting that you are going to model 'late November'. Presumably that means no fall foliage and leafless trees?

I once tried some fall foliage but wasn't  entirely happy with the results.

attachicon.gifTransflo 17th Oct 2013 005.JPG

Your presumption is correct! I've been a long time fan of Mike Confalone's Allagash layout, and his scenery. My last diorama I made was middle of winter in the Kenai Mountains of Alaska. I'm a big fan of the Alaska Railroad!  I'll post up some pics once I mess around with a pic editor!! 

Ps....I like that pic!!

• Like 3