Malvern road east

mswjr

I have this on uk,prototype Questions as well, I am building this Malvern Road east,I will put up some pictures,when i have more too show, I need to know what the sticking out bit is on the wall on the left,It is quite high up on the wall,about half way along,The track on the left near the wall is a siding Coming out of st james station,I think it was used for a shunter,And was there al of the railways life,so im thinking it was some sort of signal, But im not sure,so im asking if anyone else has any ideas Thanks

post-9174-0-17497600-1513894092.jpg

• Like 3

There's a very similar view in The Banbury and Cheltenham Direct Railway which is a bit sharper than the image you've posted and that appears to show a very small platform with a supporting bracket at either end, but there's nothing on it.

If not a platform for a signal, could it be something to do with the nearby telegraph pole which it appears to be in line with?

Regards,

David V.

• RMweb Gold

I certainly can't see why one would need any sort of signal there as that adjoining track is indeed the headshunt for the St James's goods yard.

I will take a look at the signalling diagrams to see if anything there.

Agree that it should make for a nice layout setting.

Thanks for the replies so far, I am pretty sure from what i remember and other pictures that the signal box is also set back in the wall, The wall is still here,(walk way and cycle path) I have visited a few times to measure up but the wall is covered in ivy,i can not see if the little platform thingy is there or indeed if the box was set back in the wall,Might have to take some shears next time.

Thanks for the replies so far, I am pretty sure from what i remember and other pictures that the signal box is also set back in the wall, The wall is still here,(walk way and cycle path) I have visited a few times to measure up but the wall is covered in ivy,i can not see if the little platform thingy is there or indeed if the box was set back in the wall,Might have to take some shears next time.

The 'box certainly appears to be set back into the wall on the The Banbury and Cheltenham Direct Railway photograph.

Yes ,Branwell, I would agree it quite clearly looks set back in the wall on some photos,But that wall would of been built in original broad gauge days ,so i am pretty sure the wall would of been built flat,as the box was added later ,when the honeybourne line was added, But i am sure when i went to this location as a boy (the box was demolished) there was a recess in the wall, Today while measuring the site for my layout,and as i said the wall is covered in ivy,I can not see anysign of a recess,I looked really stupid feeling throu the ivy as well,So at the moment the wall recess is on hold, Maybe when i have the box built the footprint size may help answer that.

• RMweb Gold

Being as that is just around the corner from my house, and the wall is still there, would you like me to go and have a look tomorrow to see if there is any evidence of it still being there?

Edit: Crossposted with yours, hadn't noticed you are local too...

Andi

Edited by Dagworth
  • Like 1

Yes ,Branwell, I would agree it quite clearly looks set back in the wall on some photos,But that wall would of been built in original broad gauge days ,so i am pretty sure the wall would of been built flat,as the box was added later ,when the honeybourne line was added, But i am sure when i went to this location as a boy (the box was demolished) there was a recess in the wall, Today while measuring the site for my layout,and as i said the wall is covered in ivy,I can not see anysign of a recess,I looked really stupid feeling throu the ivy as well,So at the moment the wall recess is on hold, Maybe when i have the box built the footprint size may help answer that.

Looking at maps, there was originally a cutting at that spot with just 2 tracks. I guess the cutting was widened by building the retaining wall later on, to make room for a shunting spur

Looking at maps, there was originally a cutting at that spot with just 2 tracks. I guess the cutting was widened by building the retaining wall later on, to make room for a sh

I am pretty sure it was there in broad gauge days,I have a good picture of the original engine shed,and that shows the wall in the background,,

Apologies, there was a retaining wall, but the cutting was cut back by making the retaining wall deeper - see the before and after maps here (1883 at the top and 1920 below)

post-15621-0-60437100-1514068095.jpg

If you look to the left of the signal box on the lower map you can see the line of the original retaining wall still present.

• Like 1

Thanks Orion, That also shows a wall with no recess,as i suspected, But some photos do show a recess,I may make it straight unless i can find evidence of it otherwise, Your last later map, Also shows a point into the siding, that one is not on my later 1960 map, Thanks for the info, every bit helps, Ill put some photos on soon.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Hi all, I little update on this just for those who may be interested , I returned to this part of the railway today to take some more measurements , And to my Great surprise the local council have removed all the ivy that covered the wall, Now that it had gone i could see a lot more, And i could see that bit that stuck out of the wall about half way along it, It did have a cover over it in the original picture,I still do nor know what it was, but i can model it now,, Also my question about the signal box set back in the wall has been answered as you can see, So i am assuming that the roof over hung the wall giving the impression that it was in the wall. 

post-9174-0-26329300-1537556303_thumb.jpg

post-9174-0-33750600-1537556398_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Wonderful modelling Gary - you are capturing the atmosphere of the line for sure.

I wonder - and this was pointed out to me by Andi Dell - if you have sub baseboard point motors cutting off the pips on the end of the point tie bars will make it look even more like the real thing

Cheers

Phil

Hi Phil. Thanks it is getting there slowly,Lots of trees and stuff to go on yet,to get the correct atmosphere , As for the points yes Thankyou i will cut them off,I did think about that when i laid them,but thought they might affect the working, So i will do that in the morning. It has also got loads of point rodding to go on ,and it is not going to be easy leaning over the layout, but i worry about that when i do it.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Shouldnt do Gary - we did so on Abbotswood with no issues - make sure you leave enough of the tie bar intact so that when the point switches the tie bar end does not go under the rail

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 1

• mswjr changed the title to Malvern road east

Small update, I have done a little work on this, Waiting to stock up at the Bristol show on signal and point rodding, I have almost finished the signal box, just some work to do on the steps and its finished, Go the plate today from NARROW PLANET , very happy with it ,and a good price too, so will be using them again,

IMG_3328.JPG

• Like 5

I have found out since thou, The wall behind this box was part of the box, If you look at the wall now, you can see some white wash still visible , This was the locker room,I thought the box was set into the wall,As i have built it, This evidence come to light when i almost finished it, so it is staying as is.

If you say the siding nearest the wall was a shunting neck. Could that bracket have supported a hooter/bell to give audible shunting signals to the driver? What you need is a sectional appendix which should give the locations of strange things like that.

Layout is looking good.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1