Steaming through Berkhamsted

Bernard Lamb

What it says in the title.

Recently published and just before Richard Casserley died.

I must declare a bias as I attended the same school as Richard and spent many an hour before and after school by the canal bridge at the bottom of Castle Street.

I could well have been there when some of the photographs were taken.

Although many of the more unusual trains were from an earlier period.

For a view of the southern end of the WCML in the last three decades of steam it is a superb collection.

For any body who has a local interest it is even more a dip into nostalgia,

I bought my copy in Waterstones which is about half way between the station and Richard's house just to add to the story.

After a quick browse I even wandered down to the canal and located the old tunnel that was used by the gas works tramway.

Highly recommended in general terms and particularly so for those with a local interest.

If you like modern traction don't read page three. :no:  :O 

Bernard

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I used to live on Holliday St opposite what I was told was an anthrax facility and walked the canal to the station for the 7:18 into Euston. Sometimes I had to double back on myself to avoid the geese, but it was a beautiful walk on a summer's morning, and something I miss.

I'll look this up next time I'm in the UK.

Thanks Bernard.

I grew up along the West Coast mainline as a child watching steam locos as often as I could, but later on in life with my wife we used to along the canal from the Mill to the pubs by the lock, most of the time with the railway adjacent, often wondered what a magnificent sight it would have been seeing steam hauled trains racing past with their trails of smoke being left behind them