Trains return to Broadway

locoholic

I have visited Broadway a couple of times, it is a big village that already has a lot of tourist traffic.

I can imagine that coach companies might look to combine a visit to the village with a trip on the GWR,

which should be a good thing for both parties.

The next stops heading north are (were) Willersley Halt, Weston-sub-Edge and Honeybourne,

do they have a long term plan to extend further?

I note there are no trains on the GWR today due to overnight snow,

cheers 

The next stops heading north are (were) Willersley Halt, Weston-sub-Edge and Honeybourne,

do they have a long term plan to extend further?

They have to purchase the trackbed beyond the occupation bridge at the northern limit of Broadway station. It's currently owned by Sustrans but not developed as a cycleway, and I believe the long term gentlemen's agreement between the GWSR, Sustrans & the local council is that the purchase will happen in due course. Network Rail made provision for the track to run under the replacement underbridge near Honeybourne, so the understanding that the track will reconnect to the mainline at Honeybourne eventually is certainly there.

I can imagine that coach companies might look to combine a visit to the village with a trip on the GWR,

which should be a good thing for both parties.

The GWSR already seem to have quite a few coach companies who include a trip from Cheltenham to Toddington (or vice versa) in their itinerary for a Cotswolds holiday; the extension to Broadway can only enhance the appeal.

I'm not sure what the plans are to assist passengers in getting from Broadway station into the village, but it is quite a hike (best part of a mile walk). - possiblly a vintage bus?

• Like 1

The GWSR already seem to have quite a few coach companies who include a trip from Cheltenham to Toddington (or vice versa) in their itinerary for a Cotswolds holiday; the extension to Broadway can only enhance the appeal.

I'm not sure what the plans are to assist passengers in getting from Broadway station into the village, but it is quite a hike (best part of a mile walk). - possiblly a vintage bus?

Mrs Rivercider and me do a bit of walking, so may look at Broadway as a destination for one of our trips next year,

cheers

• RMweb Gold

They have to purchase the trackbed beyond the occupation bridge at the northern limit of Broadway station. It's currently owned by Sustrans but not developed as a cycleway, and I believe the long term gentlemen's agreement between the GWSR, Sustrans & the local council is that the purchase will happen in due course. Network Rail made provision for the track to run under the replacement underbridge near Honeybourne, so the understanding that the track will reconnect to the mainline at Honeybourne eventually is certainly there.

Correct.

I was at a site meeting with the GWSR Infrastructure Director and a colleague from Network Rail when the Cotswold Line redoubling was finished in 2011. The main line bridge over the GWSR could, frankly, have been replaced with a bit of embankment, but my colleague in Network Rail and I worked behind the scenes to ensure that this did not happen. Interestingly, there was never really any serious challenge to the replacement of the bridge from the grown-ups in NR, despite the fact that it could have saved a considerable amount of money. Thanks to my colleague's efforts especially, I only ever detected an acceptance within all levels of NR (Western) that the old bridge would be replaced with a new one, rather than an embankment.

When the NR job was finished, we obtained a 30' length of bullhead track and had our contractors lay it symbolically under the NR line, although I believe that thieves have since stolen the rails and sleepers.

There is a definite plan to come into a new, third platform at Honeybourne station, via a re-built alignment up and around the former Civil Engineer's spoil tip, although the precise route of that was not worked out. The interface, if any, with the Long Marston branch would also have to be considered, although a separate formation into Honeybourne station for both the GWSR and the Long Marston line would be possible, due to the amount of railway land still available there.

Edited by Captain Kernow
  • Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Just seen this article in the online 'Cotswold Journal'. Positive reporting of a good news story, although the local councillor's ambitions seem a little unrealistic / ill-informed / ridiculous (see highlighted paragraph):

Visitor car park for GWSR's Broadway Station full steam ahead

Visitors to Broadway, especially to the soon-to-be opened railway station, will be able to park without annoying residents.

Subject, of course, to planning approval.

Wychavon District Council’s executive board gave its enthusiastic backing for a plan put forward by the Gloucestershire and Warwickshire Railway for the council to construct and run a pay and display car park on land owned by the railway across Station Road.

The authority will spend £650,000 on the plan if it is approved by its planning committee.

With the line from Toddington to Broadway nearly opened, and the station ready to receive visitors later this year, members of the Executive Board, and another councillors, thought this would be a very good thing for Broadway and the district’s economy.

Council leader, Councillor Linda Robinson allowed discussion of the matter, and the =decision, to be taken in open council, even though, because it involves revenues, it could have been done in closed session.

She said: “This is very good news., and I think we are very happy to support this. It is a wonderful way to bring more tourists to the district., and I hope that it will go even further than Broadway.”

The member with responsibility for resources and Streetscene, Councillor Lynne Duffy said: “I hope that a station car park will alleviate parking problems and we should also get a return on our investment.”

Councillor Paul Middlebrough had even greater ambitions for the railway than a success at Broadway Station. He said the council should try and help GWSR if it wanted to extend its line to Honeybourne and even as far as Kidderminster, connecting to the Severn valley railway, making the joint operation the largest steam railway in Britain.

Spokesman for GWSR Ian Crowder said: “That’s fantastic news. The last thing that we’d want is for visitors to the station to cause others annoyance by parking on the road.

“Until the car park is open we’d ask people who want to come to Broadway Station when it opens to park in the car parks in Broadway and not on the roads nearby. Or they can go to Cheltenham or Toddington and get the train from there.”

Passenger trains to Broadway are not able to run until the bridge is repaired after being struck by a lorry, causing £68,000 of damage.

The next step before the car park becomes a reality is for a planning application to be made to Wychavon District Council, which is expected in March.

Edited by PrestburyJack
  • Like 2

Just seen this article in the online 'Cotswold Journal'. Positive reporting of a good news story, although the local councillor's ambitions seem a little unrealistic / ill-informed / ridiculous (see highlighted paragraph):

Visitor car park for GWSR's Broadway Station full steam ahead

Visitors to Broadway, especially to the soon-to-be opened railway station, will be able to park without annoying residents.[/size]

Subject, of course, to planning approval.

Wychavon District Council’s executive board gave its enthusiastic backing for a plan put forward by the Gloucestershire and Warwickshire Railway for the council to construct and run a pay and display car park on land owned by the railway across Station Road.

The authority will spend £650,000 on the plan if it is approved by its planning committee.

With the line from Toddington to Broadway nearly opened, and the station ready to receive visitors later this year, members of the Executive Board, and another councillors, thought this would be a very good thing for Broadway and the district’s economy.

Council leader, Councillor Linda Robinson allowed discussion of the matter, and the =decision, to be taken in open council, even though, because it involves revenues, it could have been done in closed session.

She said: “This is very good news., and I think we are very happy to support this. It is a wonderful way to bring more tourists to the district., and I hope that it will go even further than Broadway.”

The member with responsibility for resources and Streetscene, Councillor Lynne Duffy said: “I hope that a station car park will alleviate parking problems and we should also get a return on our investment.”

Councillor Paul Middlebrough had even greater ambitions for the railway than a success at Broadway Station. He said the council should try and help GWSR if it wanted to extend its line to Honeybourne and even as far as Kidderminster, connecting to the Severn valley railway, making the joint operation the largest steam railway in Britain.

Spokesman for GWSR Ian Crowder said: “That’s fantastic news. The last thing that we’d want is for visitors to the station to cause others annoyance by parking on the road.

“Until the car park is open we’d ask people who want to come to Broadway Station when it opens to park in the car parks in Broadway and not on the roads nearby. Or they can go to Cheltenham or Toddington and get the train from there.”

Passenger trains to Broadway are not able to run until the bridge is repaired after being struck by a lorry, causing £68,000 of damage.

The next step before the car park becomes a reality is for a planning application to be made to Wychavon District Council, which is expected in March.

What's that bit about the bridge strike? Is that recent?

Maybe the GWRS is doing things the old way and negotiating running powers over the Oxford Worcester and Wolverhampton from Honeybourne to Kidderminster!

Bad news about the bridge strike.  Also saw over the new year that there has been a reactivation of the landslip in the south western cutting by Greet tunnel.. Hope dealing with it does not impact on the reopening to Broadway.

There is a Broadway, Bourton on the Water, Burford tourist axis in the Cotswolds, though neither Broadway or Burford are in the Cotswold District.

The extension may bring more visitors but they will be car borne primarily or coach tours because the hike from Broadway's centre to the station is much too far for most of the children and over 70s who ride the GWR trains.

My feeling is the GWR have over extended their line, a round trip will take a long time and neither Cheltenham Racecourse nor Broadway stations are within walking distance of their respective town/ village centres so a round trip is the only logical scenario other than a one way trip as part of a coach trip or someone taking the car from one end to the other.   All this will take visitors away from the current hub at Toddington.   Apart from Stanway viaduct immediately north of Toddington the scenery north of Toddington is pretty boring much of it in a cutting. I may be wrong but I suspect a large increase in operating costs without a corresponding increase in revenue will result.

My feeling is the GWR have over extended their line, a round trip will take a long time and neither Cheltenham Racecourse nor Broadway stations are within walking distance of their respective town/ village centres so a round trip is the only logical scenario other than a one way trip as part of a coach trip or someone taking the car from one end to the other.  

I'm sorry but I have to disagree.  Broadway station is approx. 1/2 a mile from the village centre and should be within easy walking distance for anyone except the most severely disabled. The Glos Warks should be congratulated on their achievement.

Ray.

My feeling is the GWR have over extended their line, a round trip will take a long time.  

Can't agree with that at all.  Even with the Broadway extension, it will still be shorter than the Severn Valley Railway.  As a frequent user of the GWRS, I am looking forward to the extension and will be glad if the trip takes longer.

David may well have a point.  My working experience with a tourist railway in the US is that passengers, particularly children soon run out of enthusiasm  and become bored; you can usually tell by the increased use of smartphones and the like.  This may be similar to the UK and no amount of distractions help very much.  Enthusiasts on the other hand usually welcome a long ride.

Brian.

The other 'long' preserved lines (eg North Yorkshire Moors, Severn Valley, Great Central, Mid-Hants) appear to be doing OK. And passengers do not have to ride the full length of the line anyway; Given that the GWSR has no main line rail connection (yet), many passengers may well still arrive by road at Toddington, and have a choice of going to Broadway, Cheltenham Racecourse (or Winchcombe), or both. Anyway, congratulations to the GWSR on their achievement.

• RMweb Gold

What's that bit about the bridge strike? Is that recent?

As I understand it, based on discussions a few years ago when I was involved in the Network Rail OWW redoubling project, the bridge strike damage at Broadway is historic, but it would still need to be repaired.

As I understand it, based on discussions a few years ago when I was involved in the Network Rail OWW redoubling project, the bridge strike damage at Broadway is historic, but it would still need to be repaired.

Just had a look on Google Street view and the only bridge with clear damage is the one over the Buckland - Aston Somerville road.  That was in 2010. Streetview shows all other bridges appear OK in 2016/7.  Vertical view of the Buckland Aston Somerville bridge in 2017 shows it had been repaired by then - indeed I would be surprised if it hadn't with trains already having passed over it. Hopefully, the report is a bit out of date regarding bridge repairs! I may go and have a look this weekend.

If I understand it correctly the underbridge nearest to Broadway is currently under repair as a result of a bridge strike some time ago. Whilst repairs are being carried out the ballast trains are prevented from crossing it. Once repairs are complete ballasting of the station area will recommence. Progress can be followed here: http://broadwayextensionblog.blogspot.com/

Ray.

• RMweb Premium

How about doing a bit of double tracking rather than extending?

It may not be that exciting for many, but I think, as someone has already commented, its quite a long railway and I just think it would add something to it, having the opportunity to have trains passing each other - just as at the Great Central.  

With the potential increase in passenger loadings, thanks to the Broadway extension, could a portion of double track, somewhere between Winchcombe and Cheltenham, allow for a slight increase in the number of train services? 

Any extension at the Cheltenham end, would be a winner, if a little more difficult to achieve.

• Like 1