I wouldn't get too hung up about the colour.  Get three or more steampunks in a room and you get, generally, at least five definitions of what steampunk even is, before getting down to the minutae of the smaller details.  (You could even have a little scene on the model of two blokes in tophats and goggles arguing the toss whether a piece of machinery should be polished brass or painted....)

Definitely anything goes!!! Lots of options...

I agree Geoff. Think I might hold on completeing the painting of the boiler of the 'Rocket' until I see how the buildings and overall scenery pans out. Treating this as a fun project!

Best idea to hold off, the buildings and barge might mean bright colour for the engine. I think that everyone is treating this challenge as a fun project, and a learning curve.

My sins must have been considerable, because for them I have seen The league of Extraordinary Gentlemen. Sean Connery must've really needed the money.

(You could even have a little scene on the model of two blokes in tophats and goggles arguing the toss whether a piece of machinery should be polished brass or painted....)

post-20568-0-09237700-1520502512_thumb.jpg

• Like 5
  • Funny 1

My sins must have been considerable, because for them I have seen The league of Extraordinary Gentlemen. Sean Connery must've really needed the money.

Loving it! My daughter is a Steampunk fan so might get her involved if she has time!

I might have actually met that chap once, several years ago.  As for LXG?  Bad film, guilty pleasure but I'd like to think I've atoned for it in other regards (it can be done!)

• Like 2

Oh my goodness bgman - will I get this model finished? Kitbashing is always an option, but I had quite a bit to do yet, along with two other models in my workshop!! We'll see...

Marlyn

• 2 weeks later...

On the Steam punk theme here's a 3'6" diesel suitably 'punked' up outside the Steampunk HQ at Oamaru, South Island, NZ.

attachicon.gifIMG_0360.jpg

Hi Nigel,

Have you seen Laurie Calvert’s Cake Box Challenge ‘Cato Sci-Fi Pass’?

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/127606-cato-sci-fi-tunnel/?hl=%2Blaurie+%2Bcalvert

Marlyn

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

It’s been a while! Managed to do some work on my CBC yesterday. First time I have used David Wright’s technique for the stone retaining wall since attending a workshop he ran at Miniatura a few years ago. https://www.dovedalemodels.co.uk/page/2/ Coping stones to be fixed next...

My ‘Stephenson Rocket’ is still in sections - painting the main elements before assembly. Buildings are being constructed from card, balsa and various odds and ends. Looking forward to weathering the whole lot once everything is constructed!!

post-33019-0-00355200-1526904250_thumb.jpeg

• Like 9

Glad this is still progressing, I am looking forward to seeing the finished model. I like the drain down the side of the alley slope.

Is the wall scribed plaster? It should look really good when coloured and weathered. How are the buildings coming along?

Thanks Geoff - The backing card for the wall is a piece from a corrugated box, cut to size then I used DAS air drying clay. You coat the surface of the card with some diluted PVA then apply the clay in small amounts, pressing it down and smoothing to the thickness required. Once dry, an old scalpel blade is used to scribe the detail. The stone detail still needs some roughing up to make it look old.

Lots of sketch ideas for buildings... Quite like something medieval with steampunk additions, but then again a weird collection of buildings made to look like something from ‘Scrapheap Challenge’ also appeals. Your CBC pieces are all so different! These little dioramas are addictive!!

Edited by Marly51
  • Like 1

I agree. Especially the designs for the Fable series of games.

I have a few buildings at the design stage that are based on some of these. Also, looking for card and paper models online comes up with loads of interesting mediaeval-punk and steampunk models. These make excellent jumping off points for creative meanderings.

Regards

Bill

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...