BRM February '18 + 16-page Weathering Special & DVD

SteveCole

• Administrators

BRM February is now available to DOWNLOAD as a Digital Edition. This month's Digital Edition includes a FREE copy of Narrow Gauge World + 2 extra trackplans.

PLEASE NOTE: The 16-page Weathering Supplement is not included at the moment. Please accept our apologies. We will upload this next week. There is also a duplicated page 86 & 88. This will also be corrected.

post-14186-0-60063700-1514539496_thumb.jpg

The print edition goes on-sale on January 4, 2018. 

FREE 16-page 'Guide to Weathering' supplement

A light touch: a recently ex-works S15 starts to lose its shine after a few days on the road.

Weathered Workhouse: heavy weathering treatment for a K1

Western Star treatment: a recently outshopped Class 67 shines through

The Sparks effect: light & heavy weathering for a Class 71

Shabby Seacow: a hard life in the civil engineers' department

Oil-stained TEA tanker: capturing the wet look

Weathering buildings: creating a less-than-fancy pub  

NEW FORMAT DVD

Andy York & Phil  Parker take a road trip to Pendon Museum and get a behind-the-scenes tour of Britain's best model railway!

Inside this month's magazine:

LAYOUTS
The Clydach Railway (OO9) - With its sunny climate and coastal setting, Richard Holder's layout is surely a cheering scene for a chilly winter's day.
Redford Junction (3mm) - Large layouts often have quite modest beginnings, but Paul Hopkins' imagined scene started out as just a single board.
Brinklow (N) - Milton Keynes MRS' adaptable layout allows for multiple controls, a variety of stock and even running of continental trains.
Bostcroft (OO) - From a back bedroom to the exhibition circuit. Stephen Mullen describes his depiction of an Eastern Region terminus as a 'safe option'. We think he's being modest...

PRACTICAL BRM
Make better trees - Modeller Kevin Phare describes the simple steps required to create authentic-looking trees from sage brush and sea moss products.
Cakebox Challenge - Another brace of cakeboxes for your delight.
Make a grounded van store - Kevin Phare shows how a broken old wagon can add interest and authenticity to a quiet corner of your layout.
Cakebox Challenge - Howard Smith's step-by-step guide to creating his own cakebox.
Didsbury Green (Part 2) - Phil finishes the wiring, builds an unusual control panel and makes a start on the scenery.
Download, print and build - Michael Russell offers a step-by-step card kit build.

PRODUCTS
Warley 2017 roundup
New Gear
Reviewed: Bachmann SE&CR 'Birdcage' coaching stock
Reviewed: Irish Railway Models Cement Bubble Wagon
Reviewed: Bachmann D Class Open Boggie Wagons

OTHERS

Inbox - readers' letters
BRM meets...The Little Layout Company
Prototype Inspiration - London's Underground network
Phil Parker's modelling month
Tail Lamp by Michael Russell

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Steve,

Page 86 is duplicated on page 88 in the print version as well (subscription copy received today) - should there be a different page 88?  If so could you do it the way CJL did on here for an MR page problem a while back and give us the missing page on here so that we can download and print it at home?

• Administrators

Steve,

Page 86 is duplicated on page 88 in the print version as well (subscription copy received today) - should there be a different page 88?  If so could you do it the way CJL did on here for an MR page problem a while back and give us the missing page on here so that we can download and print it at home?

Will do. It'll get uploaded early next week.

• RMweb Gold

Steve,

Many thanks Steve - definitely worth a bigger thank you than just clicking the 'tick'

• RMweb Gold

Excellent video - best yet, I think. I like the road trip style, it works well and adds a personal angle while never becoming self indulgent. Well produced and some nice camera work, too. For me the video isn't just a bonus anymore, it's quickly becoming the main event.

Meanwhile, Geoff Kent's Thorneycroft lorry simply makes me speechless!

One minor point. I clicked on the music note symbol which acts as a shortcut to the different embedded sound files. It's possible my 22 month old has relabelled (he enjoyed the video and navigated back to it earlier, but if the field filling is at your end, I thought you'd like to be aware. Apols for raising if it is a "user input" at this end!

David

post-22698-0-89624000-1514587476_thumb.png

It seems to be at 'our' end David, unless your lad's got some exceptional hacking skills. If he has I can think of a website he could do with hobbling. ;)

It wouldn't surprise me... however as far as I can tell, his IT literacy extends to hitting the keyboard repeatedly but he's quite good at clicking on icons particularly if they are Peppa or CBEEBIES related. I'll direct him to some other sites (no idea at all which you mean!!) and see what he can do.

David

• Like 1

It's worth noting that there's a lot of added value in the digital edition this month including:

35 minute video showing the techniques used in the 16-page weathering supplement.

27 minute video with Bachmann's development team discussing the J72, Class 90 and breakdown crane in detail.

If you're bored with Twixmas and New Year there's something extra for you there.

• Like 3

PRODUCTS

Warley 2017 roundup

New Gear

Reviewed: Bachmann SE&CR 'Birdcage' coaching stock

Reviewed: Irish Railway Models Cement Bubble Wagon

Reviewed: Bachmann D Class Open Boggie Wagons

Any connection between the Irish Cement Bubble Wagon and the Bachmann Boggie Wagons

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Andy for the heads up about the Bachmann video. I had a quick scan through and watched the Pendon video but missed the Bachmann one completely! Very interesting indeed and will be looking in next weekend to see what new goodies there will be appearing.

I see the Narrow Gauge magazine and Guide to Weathering are now there as well. Very good value for what I paid in the Sale.

Cheers

Ian

I saw at the back of the magazine a picture of Buckingham, is this to be featured on the DVD or in the magazine?

It's the lead layout in the March issue plus there will be a 20 minute video in the digital edition of the mag about the layout featuring a lot of running. Thanks to Tony Gee for making that happen!

• RMweb Gold

Neither; our months have four weeks in them. And then a Spring issue because we like spring. :)

An excellent way to work - makes much more sense than dealing with the vagaries of a calendar containing months of different lengths. (it also means that I receive my railway pension on 13 occasions during the year - again at 4 weekly intervals, just like my pay was handled).

It's the lead layout in the March issue plus there will be a 20 minute video in the digital edition of the mag about the layout featuring a lot of running. Thanks to Tony Gee for making that happen!

Fantastic news, probably my favourite layout that I've come across.  I look forward to next month too!

I forgot to say, I particularly enjoyed this month's featured layout and the weathering booklet is a nice feature too.

Edited by GWR8700

• RMweb Gold

Loved this month's magazine. A quick question, would it be possible to make the videos more obvious on the page? Or even, given the fact I saw a hot cross bun last week, maybe turn them into an Easter egg hunt. :)

• Like 1

A quick question, would it be possible to make the videos more obvious on the page?

That is something we're currently discussing as many people do seem to miss that there's additional content. Maybe we should make it clear what the additional content is that you get before you click too.

I'd agree with that. I only realised there was extra content after reading this thread. The Bachmann video was great but I'd dismissed it initially as an error on the page as it just showed a YouTube style link stuck in the middle of the page. These are the things I think make the digital issue well worthwhile.

• Administrators

Hi all,

The print version goes on-sale in the morning. This month's DVD is in a new format, with Andy and Phil embarking on a road trip to Pendon Museum. The get behind-the-scenes access, meeting some of the modellers responsible for what many believe is the UK's best model railway.

Watch our DVD preview here