If you're new to the forum this is an ideal place to introduce yourself.

Another returning oldie who has childhood memories of travelling by steam train. My particular interest is creating scenery and constructing buildings from mainly paper and card, although I have used Plasticard a lot in the past. I plan to focus on small dioramas and micromodel layouts. Hoping to learn more about the history of steam and Scottish railway companies, locomotives, rolling stock, etc along the way.

Hi, Marlyn - welcome to RMweb. I see you are interested in The Far North Line - it's nice to have another showing interest in this backwater, which has a lot of modelling potential both as layouts and dioramas. Ask away if you have questions as there is always someone with the answer you seek here on the forum.

Hi, Marlyn - welcome to RMweb. I see you are interested in The Far North Line - it's nice to have another showing interest in this backwater, which has a lot of modelling potential both as layouts and dioramas. Ask away if you have questions as there is always someone with the answer you seek here on the forum.

Thank you Ben - I am familiar with your layouts based on Thurso, Helmsdale and The Mound, which are wonderful. I also met Stuart Holt when he brought part of his Culrain model North a couple of years ago. It’s a steep learning curve for me and rtr locomotives plus kit wagons and coaches will have to suffice initially for my current projects. I have always admired the miniature modelling and engineering skills of the complete scratch builder, and been lucky to meet some very helpful experts over the years. There weren’t many female modellers back in the 1960s/1970s when I first caught the ‘bug’ but one lady did inspire me - Vivien Thompson - and I still have a copy of her book ‘Period Railway Modelling Buildings’ somewhere on my bookshelf!

All the best, Marlyn

Yes, she was an inspiration to me too. It has always saddened me that this hobby has been seen as a male preserve mainly- having been in retail with for many years a model railway aspect, I know how so many girls were refused or discouraged from taking part in this  activity.

Welcome.  The 'Card Modelling' tag piqued my interest and I look forward to seeing your stuff..

Thank you - it’s been a while since I focussed on my own models and I am enjoying getting back into it. Card and paper are wonderful materials to work with. I loved the accuracy of Plasticard years ago, but card has a warmth to it - little distortions which happen along the way are akin to buildings in real life, where walls are often not ‘true’... What I have seen of your modelling is excellent - fascinating to see the varied approaches and techniques on this forum.

• Like 1

Thank you - it’s been a while since I focussed on my own models and I am enjoying getting back into it. Card and paper are wonderful materials to work with. I loved the accuracy of Plasticard years ago, but card has a warmth to it - little distortions which happen along the way are akin to buildings in real life, where walls are often not ‘true’... What I have seen of your modelling is excellent - fascinating to see the varied approaches and techniques on this forum.

Yes, I'm pretty sure there isn't a single right angle in any of my buildings.

Vernacular architecture is so forgiving in that regard!