To stimulate discussion, post photos and exchange ideas, and (being an open public forum) help encourage others to try S scale modelling.

And now for something completely different

Jordan-Leeds

Now i have dabbled in most major scales and never really found anything i am happy with i came close when i used to model American HO, This time last year i spent a number of weeks out in New zealand and was taken with their railways and Scenery. the locomotives are truly huge but lend themselves to modelling and being equally impressive. fast forward into recent months i have been focused on my 00 collection and again unsatisfied with what can be done with proprietery stock.

A recent advertisement for some NZR locomotives in 1:64th scale posed the thought that in the UK Modelling such a prototype is very different from what is seen at shows and a Ab 4-6-2 Pacific and a Ja 4-8-2 arrived in kit form from a fellow modeller in the south  these are progressively being built but they will need a layout to run on. 

Plans are afoot for something around 10'x2' and portable for occasional exhibition once a few more items of stock have been procured from NZ and wherever else i can source them 

• Like 3

Hi Jordan,

Good luck with this project and I'm looking forward to see how it develops.

I find1:64 a great scale to work in, as it is a nice size and converts easily. Though it does have it's challenges.

Cheers, Les

• RMweb Gold

Technically, the gauge should be 16.67mm, which means that 16.5mm is about .003”, or 3/16” scaled down from the prototype, undergauge. I defy anyone to measure that without digital, dial or vernier calipers!

(IIRC, Peco Streamline is slightly over gauge anyway.)

• Like 1

Yes, 1/64 on HO/OO track. Most NZR scales are based on proprietary track. 1/64 being the most common, but also 9mm on O gauge and 1/120 on N gauge. 

For 1/64, Micro Engineering On30 track is close to correct sleeper spacing, the sleepers just need to be cut to the correct length. Not sure what that is off the top of my head, but I can easily find out if anyone is interested.

For anyone contemplating modelling New Zealand railways I recommend joining the NZ Model Railway Guild. There is a quarterly magazine and also a wide range of plans available. These include track, permanent way, buildings, bridges, tunnels etc.

Cheers, Les