DJModels End of Year report 2017

DJM Dave

Mermaids in Indian Red & black-liveried BR versions please.

Agreed, or at least Indian Red and Olive - we've had the black ones! 

Personally I'm disappointed for Dave but not surprised that the "Dutch" ones haven't sold through as well as the black ones did.

I'm not trying to court controversy by saying this but the period they represent wasn't actually that long in duration and I suspect the number of people modelling that period, while a very vociferous group are by comparison to the transition period a mere fraction the number.

Roy

• Like 1

Personally I'm disappointed for Dave but not surprised that the "Dutch" ones haven't sold through as well as the black ones did.

I'm not trying to court controversy by saying this but the period they represent wasn't actually that long in duration and I suspect the number of people modelling that period, while a very vociferous group are by comparison to the transition period a mere fraction the number.

Roy

Or it could be that the sensible people who prefer to represent the 1980's would like to buy, to a greater degree, from a physical shop rather than a box shifter (the lack of shops selling them is not really DJM's fault). Also the black ones came out in the summer and there was limited competetion for spending, if you are buing a dutch mermaid then you need to get a class 40 as well!

• Like 1

Agreed, or at least Indian Red and Olive - we've had the black ones! 

Roy

The Black ones were the GWR version. I have all 4 of these but would also like Black with BR Numbering.

Thanks for the update, interesting stuff in regards to moving from China.  It was nice to speak to you at Warley where I picked up a bargain ex-LSWR 02.  I look forward to my pre-order of a 1361 in the coming months!

Have a Happy New Year and a great 2018!

• RMweb Premium

J94 (3rd batch) are undergoing artwork creation, and there might be an announcement regarding more special editions using this model within a few months.

Oh no. I already 4 on pre-order...

happy new year Dave.

Good luck with 2018.

Owen

• RMweb Premium

Many thanks for the update. I would particularly encourage you with regard to shifting production to the UK, and would be happy to pay a bit of a premium to support such a move.

Phil

• Like 1

I'm looking forward to any GWR release that you might be doing in the future, hopefully it will be another small locomotive such as the 850 or 2021 Pannier Tanks or perhaps a Metro Tank, I have purchased one of your 58xx locomotives and will have to say it's one of the most delightful locomotives that I have ever owned with it's smooth running and exceptional detail, especially when I compare it to my old Hornby 14xx it's worlds apart.

There seems to be a prevailing theme of "I'll build it if you pay for it" coming through.

A way to clear the over optimistic initial release announcements seems to be crowdfunding (again), you need to decide whether your a producer like Bachman and Hornby or a middle man producer via third party commission or indeed crowdfunding ?

Also why do you feel the need in official communications to pick at other manufacturers? Not very professional, it's also a huge turn off for potential customers.

• RMweb Gold

Happy new year!

For heavens sake, give the bloke a break!

It's wise to remember that if you've got the money, you can buy anything, at pretty much any time. Bleating about not having toy X, in colour Y is, quite frankly, laughable. The prevailing attitude about 'building & paying' can be looked at both sides, methinks. As a dyed in the wool Great Western person, may one enquire when are you liable to release your model of a Large Metro?

Pushing doesn't help here: Polite discussion about future models pays dividends. Trolling isn't very productive, either.

On a lighter note, if you fund up for a Large Metro, 1016, or say, a 'Stella', let me know, I'll put my name down for the first out of the box.

Your cheque, sir, awaits.....

Cheers,

Ian.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

There seems to be a prevailing theme of "I'll build it if you pay for it" coming through.

A way to clear the over optimistic initial release announcements seems to be crowdfunding (again), you need to decide whether your a producer like Bachman and Hornby or a middle man producer via third party commission or indeed crowdfunding ?

Also why do you feel the need in official communications to pick at other manufacturers? Not very professional, it's also a huge turn off for potential customers.

What is this about? DJM operates as DJ sees fit. He can procure model manufacture for clients, he can offer models under his own name, or he can initiate a crowdfund. Which of those is either immoral or against the interests of the modeller? Crowdfunding avoids bank charges, so the models come cheaper, and DJ has a good idea that adequate demand exists before pressing the button. It sounds a good idea to me, and one that others are also embracing.

And where in his post does he “pick at other manufacturers”? I can’t see it, other than a thoroughly honorable mention of two well-known industry figures.

Puzzled.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

And where in his post does he “pick at other manufacturers”? I can’t see it, other than a thoroughly honorable mention of two well-known industry figures.

Puzzled.

I've missed that bit as well. When you are in a small field, like I was in signalling, many people from the limited number of companies involved have worked with each other in different roles over the years. I wrote the technical side of one of the first successful tenders post-privatisation from BR. I had worked with members of the bid teams from all of the other companies and two of the people involved in running the bid at Railtrack. 

I assumed the OP was referring to this bit [emphasis added]:

It was great to meet old acquaintances like Graham Hubbard and Simon Kohler again, and it was just like the ‘old days’ again, chin wagging and reminiscing.

I even got a pathetically clumsy attempt by another company to tap me for information regarding new products (I hope the photo came out well, lol)!

Though I was a bit surprised at someone seeming to object to Dave having multiple channels to market, if those mean that something will be manufactured that otherwise wouldn't.

Paul

Or it could be that the sensible people who prefer to represent the 1980's would like to buy, to a greater degree, from a physical shop rather than a box shifter (the lack of shops selling them is not really DJM's fault). Also the black ones came out in the summer and there was limited competetion for spending, if you are buing a dutch mermaid then you need to get a class 40 as well!

All the places that many people derogatorily call "box shifters" are physical model shops. Maybe go to one of them and you might be surprised how good they actually are compared to most of the other shops. They are successful for a reason.

Jason

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

All the places that many people derogatorily call "box shifters" are physical model shops. Maybe go to one of them and you might be surprised how good they actually are compared to most of the other shops. They are successful for a reason.

Jason

True. And it is that ilk of successful shop that is now tapping up DJ to create new models we might otherwise not have seen.

The market place is the richer, and competition for our scarce £s the keener, because of DJ and his (so far limited) kind.

Jason

I have never seen anyone refer to Tesco (other retailers are available) in a similar vane. Likewise Amazon is what I would describe as a real box shifter!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I have never seen anyone refer to Tesco (other retailers are available) in a similar vane. Likewise Amazon is what I would describe as a real box shifter!

The parallels between Amazon and the likes of Hattons / Rails are there though. Whilst both do shift other manufacturers’ items, they are both developing their own items for sale.

Roy