• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Jonathan

Jonathan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 10:40

I want to lay 4mm rail across my Brunel timber viaduct. A temporary fix was a length of flexi track with sleepers attached but now I want to make it prototypical with the rails mounted on longitudinal timber baulks as per the attached photograph of Venn's Cross Waterrow Viaduct on the Barnstaple West to Taunton line. Has anyone done this please? Am assuming lengths of rail with chairs attached. obviously being very accurately laid on top of the baulks. 

Jonathan

#2 Jonathan

Jonathan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 11:00

Looks like my photo did not upload so trying again!

Attached Thumbnails

• Viaduct baulks.jpg

#3 Gordon A

Gordon A

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,867 posts
  • LocationBristol

Posted 31 December 2017 - 11:23

I suggest you make or adapt a jig to lay the first rail centrally on the baulk, then gauge the second rail using standard track gauges.

Depending what your baulks are made of use C&L (or Exactoscale from same) chairs glued to the baulks - assuming by 4mm you mean 4mm scale..

Gordon A

• Agree x 1

#4 Jonathan

Jonathan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 13:49

I suggest you make or adapt a jig to lay the first rail centrally on the baulk, then gauge the second rail using standard track gauges.

Depending what your baulks are made of use C&L (or Exactoscale from same) chairs glued to the baulks - assuming by 4mm you mean 4mm scale..

Gordon A

Many thanks for your reply. That is what I will do.

Jonathan

#5 66C

66C

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 15:04

I want to lay 4mm rail across my Brunel timber viaduct. A temporary fix was a length of flexi track with sleepers attached but now I want to make it prototypical with the rails mounted on longitudinal timber baulks as per the attached photograph of Venn's Cross Waterrow Viaduct on the Barnstaple West to Taunton line. Has anyone done this please? Am assuming lengths of rail with chairs attached. obviously being very accurately laid on top of the baulks. 

Jonathan

Hi Jonathan

I think it is normal practice to use bridge chairs for securing bullhead rail on timber baulks.  Bridge chairs have the fixing bolts closer to the rail than normal 2 or 3 bolt chairs and so the bolts would not be as close to the edge of the timbers.

Your photograph shows the timbers surrounded by stone chips - I do not think that a timber viaduct would have ballast when used by railway track.

Regards.

#6 Gordon A

Gordon A

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,867 posts
  • LocationBristol

Posted 31 December 2017 - 15:26

https://www.amazon.c...n/dp/0711032181

This book may be of use / interest?

Gordon A

#7 melmerby

melmerby

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,272 posts
  • LocationWorcesterhire

Posted 31 December 2017 - 15:39

Royal Albert Bridge:

Old

https://s-media-cach...5a65e11fc39.jpg

New

http://www.railsafet...3/picture-1.jpg

Keith

Edited by melmerby, 31 December 2017 - 15:43 .

#8 Jonathan

Jonathan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 15:55

Many thanks.

Jonathan

Hi Jonathan

I think it is normal practice to use bridge chairs for securing bullhead rail on timber baulks.  Bridge chairs have the fixing bolts closer to the rail than normal 2 or 3 bolt chairs and so the bolts would not be as close to the edge of the timbers.

Your photograph shows the timbers surrounded by stone chips - I do not think that a timber viaduct would have ballast when used by railway track.

Regards.

Many thanks.

Jonathan

#9 melmerby

melmerby

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,272 posts
  • LocationWorcesterhire

Posted 31 December 2017 - 16:17

Many thanks.

Jonathan

Many thanks.

Jonathan

I know that the RA bridge was not wood but I posted to show the difference in practice between the original baulk road and the more modern version over the bridge.

#10 Siberian Snooper

Siberian Snooper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,987 posts
  • LocationSunny Plymouth!

Posted 31 December 2017 - 21:04

Brunel's timber viaducts had ballast troughs. I am in the process of reading a book on the subject.

I would lay one rail centrally down the baulk using a straight edge and then use gauges to lay the other one. Bridge chairs are what are normally used.
  • Informative/Useful x 1