Laying rail on timber baulks

Jonathan

I want to lay 4mm rail across my Brunel timber viaduct. A temporary fix was a length of flexi track with sleepers attached but now I want to make it prototypical with the rails mounted on longitudinal timber baulks as per the attached photograph of Venn's Cross Waterrow Viaduct on the Barnstaple West to Taunton line. Has anyone done this please? Am assuming lengths of rail with chairs attached. obviously being very accurately laid on top of the baulks. 

Jonathan

I suggest you make or adapt a jig to lay the first rail centrally on the baulk, then gauge the second rail using standard track gauges.

Depending what your baulks are made of use C&L (or Exactoscale from same) chairs glued to the baulks - assuming by 4mm you mean 4mm scale..

Gordon A

I suggest you make or adapt a jig to lay the first rail centrally on the baulk, then gauge the second rail using standard track gauges.

Depending what your baulks are made of use C&L (or Exactoscale from same) chairs glued to the baulks - assuming by 4mm you mean 4mm scale..

Gordon A

Many thanks for your reply. That is what I will do.

Jonathan

I want to lay 4mm rail across my Brunel timber viaduct. A temporary fix was a length of flexi track with sleepers attached but now I want to make it prototypical with the rails mounted on longitudinal timber baulks as per the attached photograph of Venn's Cross Waterrow Viaduct on the Barnstaple West to Taunton line. Has anyone done this please? Am assuming lengths of rail with chairs attached. obviously being very accurately laid on top of the baulks. 

Jonathan

Hi Jonathan

I think it is normal practice to use bridge chairs for securing bullhead rail on timber baulks.  Bridge chairs have the fixing bolts closer to the rail than normal 2 or 3 bolt chairs and so the bolts would not be as close to the edge of the timbers.

Your photograph shows the timbers surrounded by stone chips - I do not think that a timber viaduct would have ballast when used by railway track.

Regards.

Many thanks.

Jonathan

Hi Jonathan

I think it is normal practice to use bridge chairs for securing bullhead rail on timber baulks.  Bridge chairs have the fixing bolts closer to the rail than normal 2 or 3 bolt chairs and so the bolts would not be as close to the edge of the timbers.

Your photograph shows the timbers surrounded by stone chips - I do not think that a timber viaduct would have ballast when used by railway track.

Regards.

Many thanks.

Jonathan

• RMweb Premium

Many thanks.

Jonathan

Many thanks.

Jonathan

I know that the RA bridge was not wood but I posted to show the difference in practice between the original baulk road and the more modern version over the bridge.