Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Modelling resolutions 2018

Kris

• RMweb Premium

So 2017 is nearly behind us. Do you have any modelling resolutions for 2018? (Seems traditional that I start this topic). 

Modelling resolutions.

In the next 12 months I hope to get Coombe Viaduct into a home were it can stay up permanently, allowing me to run trains whenever I want. This will also allow me to extend the layout further. 

I would also like to see more of the kits I have accumulated completed. 

Non modelling, I must knock the dust of my kayaks and canoe and get back on the water. (I think I have said this before). 

So, I've shared mine, what are yours?

• Like 5

Mine are pretty much the same as last year as well, to be honest. Converting the loft has been postponed due to a car needing to be replaced unexpectedly (mechanical failure, so not something that insurance could cover), which ate into the funds previously earmarked for construction work. It would be nice to get that back on the agenda for 2018.

The shunting plank is also still awaiting a full resurrection, although I have done a bit of work on some of the buildings and rolling stock. But, instead, I've made a start on a much smaller working diorama, mainly just for the sake of actually doing something and to practice some techniques. I'd like to get that mostly finished this year.

Outside modelling, I want to do a bit more travelling. And I want to get back into the swing of writing regularly, something that's rather fallen by the wayside this year.

• Like 3

Having spent several years off the circuit sat at home feeling sorry for myself licking my wounds, this year is time to turn things round, pick myself up and get back in the game.

So get out to some shows

Start my new layout

Start rebuilding the stock roster

Make some new friends from RMWEB (in person at shows)

• Like 6

Do enough modelling that I feel I can start a workbench thread.

Continue adding to my Shapeways shop (which I enjoy, even if it's only me buying it)

Spend less time on RMWEB at 01:40 in the morning (oops).

Not a modelling one, but more photoing real trains and slowly tick off my long list of locations to do near me.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

My main resolutions for 2018:

Don’t get too distracted with projects which are not needed for either layout (says he who currently has a hst on the workbench

Get the double slip rebuilt on Brent so that it actually works,

Build the fiddleyard for the Kingsbridge branch

DCC the remaining locos (5 in total)

Get through the painting backlog (at the moment standing at 8 centenarys, 2 buffets, a toplight, 2 vans and an LMS coach.)

By the end of the year I want to be able to complete an express passenger train in each direction, a local freight train in one direction, and run a train from Kingsbridge into Brent and then back to Kingsbridge (meaning both double slips need to work!)

Edited by The Fatadder
  • Like 4

Me? Yes, I've got quite a few (modelling) resolutions . . .

Spend less time on RMweb, especially as GCSEs are only a matter of months away

In the time that I'm not on RMweb and not doing work, actually get round to building my exhibition layout!

Periodically take a break from the SVR to visit those heritage railways I've not visited yet (the Bluebell and South Devon are two of them)

Start a photo collection of hydraulics, Peaks, 20s and anything else from that era that catches my eye

And visit more shows! Deffo visiting Warley this year, and the GCR Model Event would be nice ....

• Like 5

Sell off *everything* that I am likely never to use which is 97.8% of the stuff I have and have less distractions. Start afresh and concentrate on the stuff I DO want to model.

Build a small compact portable layout I can complete and play with.

Stop slacking.

Get out more for walks and chase the clouds away.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

I want to have a lot less ‘stuff’.

But there are already things I want to buy that are due out in the next few months, and Hornby and Bachmann have yet to make their 2018 announcements.

The omens are not good...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

1. Weathering of stock purchased over the last couple years for Oil Drum Lane & Chebstone

2. Build the Paul Lunn layout based on Bembridge as in his Micro Layouts for the Stafford 2019 Exhibition as part othe IOW feature

3. Complete the GN15 layout which I’ve done no work on for a while.

And stop armchair Modelling

Eltel

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Having moved house in 2017 and with my layout in storage my modelling resolutions for 2018 are as follows;

1) Get the shed ready for commencing the model railway by the end of April

2) Get all (or most) of the baseboards compete and "something running" before Christmas.

I'll let you know how I get on. :)

• Like 4

I have a large shed/workshop which was custom built for my craftwork and modelmaking, but has inadvertently become a household ‘extension’ to the attic (ie a dumping ground)! It is my resolution to clear it out with ultimatums to family to sort, recycle and/or discard! I have two benches (made from recycled doors) - one at desk height and the second at a comfortable standing height for modelmaking. I have three second-hand wardrobes fitted with shelves for use as cupboards, free standing shelf units and now fixing more wall shelving for handbooks, journals, etc. I want to build a small woodwork bench for miniature work, which will include a lathe, band saw, bench clamp and vertical drill. I would be interested to hear about any hints and tips from forum members for a good modelling workspace. Wishing everyone a Happy ‘Modelling’ Year!

Edited by Marly51
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Continue work on my shed layout. I've progressed far further than I thought I would by this stage when I cleared the shed to start work back in July, but there are a lot of ideas spinning round in my fevered mind that need to be made real.

Buy some cheap rolling stock to learn how to weather properly.

• Like 2