Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Modelling resolutions 2018

Kris

• RMweb Gold

My main modelling aim is to complete the wiring of the colour light signals and Heathcote control modules. Also at least one decent running session per month as too much time in recent months has been spent progressing the layout.

I also aim to pluck up the courage (and find time) to create a layout thread to show and share my layout. I've been mostly a lurker on RMweb for far too long! I really enjoy reading and viewing the efforts of others, the trials and tribulations along the way, the many useful tips as they've been a great help to me.

• Like 3

• 8 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

How is everybody getting on with those new year resolutions made at the start of the year? Time flies ... can’t believe it’s already mid-September!

I’ve broadly kept to mine so successfully completed the wiring of the signals and they work really well. It took take a while but in recent days I’ve got round to creating a layout thread, linked below:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/137453-davidson-parkway/

Running sessions have still been too few and far between but I gave the track a good clean with the CMX and Dapol Hoover, so time for a few running sessions, especially following the arrival of the new Hornby Class 87s.

• RMweb Premium

Coombe viaduct does have a home where it can stay up, but there needs to be work done to allow for running. The kayaks remain dusty, but the canoe did get wet over the summer. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Having moved house in 2017 and with my layout in storage my modelling resolutions for 2018 are as follows;

1) Get the shed ready for commencing the model railway by the end of April

2) Get all (or most) of the baseboards compete and "something running" before Christmas.

I'll let you know how I get on. :)

Well I am still working on item 1 and item 2 will be my 2019 resolution.

post-158-0-62446500-1536953676_thumb.jpg

post-158-0-52942900-1536953735_thumb.jpg

post-158-0-37332200-1536953917_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Well, taking mine in order...

The loft remains unconverted. Too many other things to spend the money on, really.

The main project remains mothballed. The working diorama has proceeded in fits and starts, but is nowhere near finished. Although that's partly because I've changed my mind half a dozen times about what it should look like. It's now expanded into a compact layout, a bit more than just a working diorama, on which I will be able to run my pair of J70s when they arrive. But it's still little more than a plank and some track. I have, at least, put together some kits (buildings and wagons) that will be useful for it when it's ready to receive them.

I've been slightly more successful in my non-modelling targets. One thing I did a few weeks ago was fulfil a long-held desire to visit the military cemeteries of France and Belgium where three of my relatives, casualties of WWI, are buried. And I'm now writing a regular monthly column for one of my local newspapers, which is good discipline. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

So 2017 is nearly behind us. Do you have any modelling resolutions for 2018? (Seems traditional that I start this topic). 

Modelling resolutions.

In the next 12 months I hope to get Coombe Viaduct into a home were it can stay up permanently, allowing me to run trains whenever I want. This will also allow me to extend the layout further. 

I would also like to see more of the kits I have accumulated completed. 

Non modelling, I must knock the dust of my kayaks and canoe and get back on the water. (I think I have said this before). 

So, I've shared mine, what are yours?

So where did I get too?

Coombe Viaduct does have a new home to live in -  It's not currently running so I would say I'm half way there with this one. 

I did build up several kits. - Sounds like a win to me. 

The canoe was used, but the kayaks are still dusty  :threaten:

• RMweb Gold

My main resolutions for 2018:

Don’t get too distracted with projects which are not needed for either layout (says he who currently has a hst on the workbench)

Failed, probably spent more time building non core stock than core...

Get the double slip rebuilt on Brent so that it actually works,

I removed it from the baseboard if that counts?

Build the fiddleyard for the Kingsbridge branch

On hold pending a lot more work on the layout after I pinched the point motors for Wheal Imogen

DCC the remaining locos (5 in total)

Managed 1

Get through the painting backlog (at the moment standing at 8 centenarys, 2 buffets, a toplight, 2 vans and an LMS coach.)

Vans, Centenaries, buffers and a first all painted. Not a bad result

By the end of the year I want to be able to complete an express passenger train in each direction, a local freight train in one direction, and run a train from Kingsbridge into Brent and then back to Kingsbridge (meaning both double slips need to work!)

Failed completely due to the lack of working slip and a dead powercab

For 2019

Don’t get too distracted with projects which are not needed for either layout (says he who currently has a 1990s TPO on the workbench and is about to start on another HST

Build my 1947 TPO

Get the double slip rebuilt on Brent so that it actually works,

Finish track testing on Brent and get it painted

Build the fiddleyard for the Kingsbridge branch at least as a simple runaround loop

Keep the painting backlog low: currently the TPO 1998, 2 Toplights, 1 Centenary, 1 LMS and 1 cattle van plus a lot of roofs

Finish Wheal Imogen (including a fiddleyard), kind of have to given it has two invites in the year...

By the end of the year I want to be able to complete an express passenger train in each direction, a local freight train in one direction, and run a train from Kingsbridge into Brent and then back to Kingsbridge (meaning both double slips need to work!)

Edited by The Fatadder

• RMweb Gold

Having moved house in 2017 and with my layout in storage my modelling resolutions for 2018 are as follows;

1) Get the shed ready for commencing the model railway by the end of April

2) Get all (or most) of the baseboards compete and "something running" before Christmas.

I'll let you know how I get on. :)

I'll have to copy and paste my 2018 resolution into the 2019 thread. :(

I have made progress on the shed. New roof, damp profing, insulation of two walls and the floor started. Running trains is still a good way off though.

Happy 2019 everyone. See you in the new thread. ,)

• RMweb Premium

I'll have to copy and paste my 2018 resolution into the 2019 thread. :(

I have made progress on the shed. New roof, damp profing, insulation of two walls and the floor started. Running trains is still a good way off though.

Happy 2019 everyone. See you in the new thread. ,)

The new thread has been requested! 

Going back to my own, the "working diorama" of the start of the year has changed yet again. Having decided that I do actually want to make it work, rather than just be a diorama, I also decided that a plank (yes, it was, literally, a plank - or, to be more precise, a bookshelf) wasn't good enough, so I've bought a couple of Grainge and Hodder laser-cut baseboards and assembled them. That's a much more suitable base (pun intended) for a nice little portable layout, but it means I'm now back to square one as regards tracklaying and scenery - some bits can be re-used from the plank, but I've also decided to do it properly as far as track is concerned so I need to get some code 75 rather than the spare settrack that was on the diorama. I did think about using Peco's new bullhead rail, but, nice though it is, I really need shorter radius points for a small portable layout and I doubt those will be available before I want to get to work tracklaying. I don't trust my skills enough to build my own track, unfortunately.

Anyway, it's New Year's Eve, so here's an appropriate(ish) photo. The only parts of this that will be on the new layout in its final form are the baseboards and the locos, but there is much pleasure to be had from the other parts, too :) See you in the 2019 thread!

post-6802-0-58279500-1546293386_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Me? Yes, I've got quite a few (modelling) resolutions . . .

Spend less time on RMweb, especially as GCSEs are only a matter of months away

In the time that I'm not on RMweb and not doing work, actually get round to building my exhibition layout!

Periodically take a break from the SVR to visit those heritage railways I've not visited yet (the Bluebell and South Devon are two of them)

Start a photo collection of hydraulics, Peaks, 20s and anything else from that era that catches my eye

And visit more shows! Deffo visiting Warley this year, and the GCR Model Event would be nice ....

1. My post count was above 500 this time last year, and now it's 811, so a yes to that one.

2. Well, I have got some baseboards, but I haven't assembled them yet....

3. Welsh Highland Railway, Talyllyn, Bala Lake, think I can tick that one but must include more variety.

4. Not really.

5. Warley, tick. GCR Model Event, tick. GWSR steam gala, tick. But definitely room for improvement! Though I think I need to negotiate better with the authorities to allow me to spend more money!