Geringer Platz - formally Bemo HOm coupling question

Satan's Goldfish

Fine on a flat layout but a nightmare if you have hills, my mate decided to use a similar contact oil and the first train up the spiral disappeared into the tunnel and didn't come out! Had to clean the whole layout again with the cmx cleaner and alcohol ;)

That's another thing to consider btw cleaning under the wires :)

True! My layout is flat and the tractor only runs on a short length of track by the station. If it was BR you could always say it was "the wrong sort of leaves on the Line".....

• 2 months later...

Stock issues resolved, 2x LSE railcars on their way (although Mrs SG will probably hide them as Christmas presents)... of course they may have the same unit number in which case I still need brave pills to renumber one of them. Will probably still look for a shunter in the long run too, there is this tasty little number: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BEMO-HOm-GAUGE-1270-408-SBB-TE1-ELECTRIC-WORKS-TRACTOR-LOCOMOTIVE-BM1/132853256130?epid=27025771772&hash=item1eeeabcfc2:g:9BMAAOSwB5lb6Uow to watch and see what happens...

• 1 month later...

Evening all.

About a quarter of the way down this page http://www.eingestellte-bahnen.ch/316801/1344811.html there's a picture of an LSE railcar with a BOB coach at Obermatt (bottom of the old LSE rack section, flat wagon with it too) dated 1987.

Can anyone explain why?... I know there is a connecting track at Interlaken onto the BOB, but I've seen no other images of BOB stock on either the LSE or Brunig Bahn before. Just curious if there's a valid excuse for another item of rolling stock on the layout without severely invoking rule 1. I know the supply voltage on the 2 systems is very different but didn't realise the couplings were that compatible.

• RMweb Premium

The BOB and the Brünig used to run through carriages on odd occasions, quite a few years ago. Also, some Brünig red liveried coaches ran within BOB rakes for at least one summer season - I'm not sure of whether these are the carriages eventually sold to the BOB, or others. I'll look out some pictures to back up these claims when I get home.

The earlier Bemo BOB coaches can be found at a less eye-watering price than currently suggested by Rails on eBay. Their (Rails') prices are driven by the usual prices of HRF BOB carriages. These (HRF) are re-boxed Bemo coaches (probably different running numbers), and were available new in 2018 from Bühler Interlaken for around CHF 85. They are unusual in being HRF plastic, not HRF brass. HRF brass carriages are of course not so competitively priced.

Edited by DIW

• RMweb Premium
On 01/01/2019 at 16:26, DIW said:

The BOB and the Brünig used to run through carriages on odd occasions, quite a few years ago. Also, some Brünig red liveried coaches ran within BOB rakes for at least one summer season - I'm not sure of whether these are the carriages eventually sold to the BOB, or others. I'll look out some pictures to back up these claims when I get home.

The earlier Bemo BOB coaches can be found at a less eye-watering price than currently suggested by Rails on eBay. Their (Rails') prices are driven by the usual prices of HRF BOB carriages. These (HRF) are re-boxed Bemo coaches (probably different running numbers), and were available new in 2018 from Bühler Interlaken for around CHF 85. They are unusual in being HRF plastic, not HRF brass. HRF brass carriages are of course not so competitively priced.

As promised, here are some pictures:

The first is the cover of a book.

BOBinBrunigtrain.jpg.17b4938636196c734efd4b059202d761.jpg

This shows a BOB coach in a Brünig train. The caption states that the picture is a Brünig express train at the Lake of Lungern. The BOB coaches [sic] form the through service to Grindelwald and Lauterbrunnen. The book was published in 1975.

Now bear with me.....

There is only one coach, so I conjecture that the train pictured includes either just a BOB Grindelwald through coach, or one of the through coaches is BOB and the other SBB Brünig - Lake Lungern is on the right of the train so it is heading from Luzern to Interlaken. My 1975 timetable shows that the through coaches had been discontinued by then. They appear though in my 1968, 1970 and 1972 versions, but not in any later than 1972. The through services were (therefore) discontinued some time between 1972 and 1975 - I don't have a continuous collection of timetables to find the exact dates.

The timings change slightly from year to year, but follow the pattern of morning train Luzern to Interlaken with a coach each for Grindelwald and Lauterbrunnen, and an afternoon service with a coach for Grindelwald only. The return coaches were brought to Luzern by three different trains.

The times in 1968 were:

Luzern - Grindelwald,  Lz dep 0932 Gr arr 1234,   Lz dep 1310  Gr arr 16.12,    Gr dep 0706 Lz arr 1014,   Gr dep 1550  Lz arr 1843

Luzern - Lauterbrunnen,  Lz dep 0932  Lb arr 1217,   Lb dep 1820 Lz arr 2054

The times in 1970 and 1972 were similar but not identical.

Now, a picture of the BOB between Interlaken Ost and Wilderswil, from 1981:

81705a.jpg.91c3186a3c9368d33c865a717fce6ff3.jpg

(This is a scan of one of my slides).

Here is a closer scan including the SBB coach:

81705az.jpg.22e003e0dd3d1b40949dac1710fda5c4.jpg

Since the through services had been discontinued by 1981, this coach was either part of a special service to Lauterbrunnen, or a coach loaned/hired to the BOB.

Further research would be needed to find which SBB Brünig coaches were sold to the BOB, and when.

Now a correction to my earlier post.

The coaches currently available from Bühler Interlaken are Bemo ones; coaches AB212 and B244. They are currently reduced from CHF129 to CHF79 each.

The 'HRF' Bemo coach is second hand, and advertised at Messingers. It is a model of a centre-entrance carriage. I don't recall seeing any centre-entrance coaches in BOB livery (I would certainly have taken a picture) but of course that doesn't mean that it didn't happen!

EDIT - the coach is number AB221" - it was bought from the Brünig in 1998 and broken up in 2006. Not to be confused with the original AB221, which was a balcony-ended coach also ex-Brünig, which was with BOB from 1969 to 1970.

The Bemo BOB coaches I have are based on the SBB Brünig coaches, with a factory-applied BOB livery. If you want something accurate rather than a representation (I'm happy with the representations) then the only original BOB coaches built the same as the SBB Brünig coaches are two first class coaches, A181 and A182. A re-paint of Bemo SBB Brünig coach A203 (Bemo number 3276 413) is needed. The difficulty I have found in doing this is in getting the decals made. I have drawn the artwork, noted the RAL numbers of the decal characters, and sent them to a custom-transfer manufacturer who appears within RMWeb, but the fellow is too busy to be bothered.

An option is to print them myself on clear transfer paper, but the yellow/cream from home-made transfers (transparent carrier) doesn't cover well on a darker body.

Another option is to transfer-print the whole coach side, onto white transfer paper. This works; I have put a couple of pictures of my fictitious Grimselbahn livery on my Handeck-in-Haslital thread. I have taken the pictures but have yet to write the narrative for how to achieve that.

If you want to be totally accurate about the seating within the coach, then apparently there is still a small difference between the SBB A203 and the BOB A181/A182, somewhere near the WC I seem to remember. As mentioned above I am happy with the representation given by the Bemo coaches!

Hope this helps,

Dave

Edited by DIW
Addidtional info on the HRF model. Photos reloaded
  • Like 1

Thanks Dave, that's very useful stuff.

Ref self-printing transfers, I did a lot of my own for shipping containers and came up with a couple of different methods for light on dark. Unfortunately, blue is a horrible colour to match, but it gives me food for thought if I cant get a Bemo representation.

Dave, quick question cause Google has not been my friend: do you know if the 1st class coaches A181 and A182 that you mention appeared in this livery? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bemo-3277-712-Personenwagen-1-2-Kl-BOB-unbespielt-in-OVP-E744/152814455498

Next up is do you know what the RAL numbers are for those colours?! I think I can do transfers 'easily' for that livery.

• RMweb Premium

Dave, quick question cause Google has not been my friend: do you know if the 1st class coaches A181 and A182 that you mention appeared in this livery? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bemo-3277-712-Personenwagen-1-2-Kl-BOB-unbespielt-in-OVP-E744/152814455498

Next up is do you know what the RAL numbers are for those colours?! I think I can do transfers 'easily' for that livery.

Hi,

I think that A181 was only in the original plain livery; it was swapped with the SBB Brünig in 1997, thus (probably) didn't reach the overhaul date to receive the fancy livery.

A182 certainly did get the livery in your picture. It is the livery like that, with the same font on the lettering. (Some vehicles received italic font on the lettering). The overhaul date for that seems to be 17-05-1999.

A182 also made it in to the present blue and yellow livery with white lettering, although I can't make out the date panel to see when this happened.

I recall having some difficulty in finding colour definitions. This isn't helped by some definitions being in RAL, and some in a Swiss standard. However given that when outshopped the liveries are always bright, deep-shine colours which fade to faint matt over (not so much) time, I had decided to use Railmatch GWR chocolate and cream on the bases of easy availability and the very high chance that the colours will match the BOB at some stage of the colour fade.

For the lettering, I have the following numbers (no idea now where I found them):

RAL 1002 - all lettering

RAL 1003 - yellow circle on the coach ends (old livery). Would also suit the 'first class' yellow line (both liveries) and the grab handles (fancy livery).

RAL 2030 - red symbols (old livery)

RAL 9003 - white background for the yellow dots and red symbols

For the fancy livery, the lettering appears to be in the same brown as the body, so whichever you decide for the body, then the same for the lettering? Perhaps try a shade darker in the lettering looks too faint?

Hope that points you in the right direction.

Dave

Edited by DIW

I think the thing that throws me is that from some angles in some pictures it looks like blue rather than brown to me as well... the refurb time period must have been very long; the LSE picture I found with a BOB coach in that livery was dated 1987, watched a video yesterday from 2003 ish that had mostly the new blue and yellow with couple of that livery still, but also 2 original simple 'chocolate and cream' parked at interlaken...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Following on from BOB - SBB inter-running, look what I've just found, while looking for something else - at least two SBB coaches in Lauterbrunnen station, in 1984 (centre door versions, too):

84704.jpg.b9c084c4bf9888a9adba4540c920e046.jpg

• Like 3

• 4 years later...
On 08/02/2024 at 08:55, timatheronwood said:

Any news on this layout? Can we see some pictures as they seem to have disappeared...

Hi there,

Not much further to report,  work and life commitments have gotten in the way of all of my modelling activities for the last couple of years so the layout has been in storage for a while. I may have had the odd additional piece of stock to help keep the spark alive since the last update.

Not sure where the original pictures are but I'll see if I can dig anything out.

• Friendly/supportive 2