Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

British Model Railway Awards 2017 - your vote counts!

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

Groan - everybody had opportunities to offer nominations over Christmas, it's a bit of fun we're not voting for Brexit or a new government.

It's far more important than that to some.

Andy,

I've cast my votes but couldn't find the nominations for this year's Grumpiest Old S-- ............................... :senile:

Andy had to draw up a shortlist - GOS  is a long list........

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

Small suppliers do do a great job. But the problem is, you only buy from them for something very specific and each supplier covers a very specific niche.

You may find a huge list with each getting just 1 or 2 votes.

My only issue with small suppliers is that quite a few are not on the net (can only be seen at shows sort of thing) and quite a few others take ages or don't reply to e-mails. This is utterly frustrating living abroad wanting to buy one of their specific goods.

Others though can be really efficient and helpful despite their small set ups.

So some sort of award would be nice, but you would need a few categories (like best DCC sound supplier, best kit supplier, best bits supplier, best transfers and so on), to ensure a few get some deserved recognition.

I was surprised by my nomination for manufacturer of the year, which is always strictly based on which business succeeded in persuading me to put most money over the counter. A crude measure to be sure but it eliminates the work of making comparisons of many intangibles to arrive at a decision. Now to wait and see if I am alone.

The Black Label A4 arrived just before the end of 2016 and was not included in the 2016 awards...

... I do wonder if the Kernow diesel appearing right at the end of the year and in very few numbers, will get the full merit it deserves...

The timing thing. Seen other worthy items get minimal recognition from this effect in the past. It would be advantageous in my opinion to have the survey cover a year duration ending a good couple of months before the survey begins. That way all the products have had time enough to be in front of potentially interested customers and for their merits to be appreciated.

...I also observed that Bachmann are nominated for innovation ...

As for innovation, I have just learned of the decoupling of the exterior bogie frame from the gear tower on the Kernow Bulleid diesel, a product I have not and will not buy. Now first I don't know if it is an innovation, though I suspect it may be in RTR OO. If it is, it is a worthy one to consider, as it potentially solves one of the persistent accuracy of appearance issues in RTR diesel and electric traction.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

As a modeller of the pre group period, 4mm scale, 18.83 gauge I found little I could vote on, other than best layout and exhibition. Even those were from shortlists that excluded some of the best shows I have attended and layouts I have seen..

Personally, I wouldn't disagree Jol but I go by the nomination list and draw up a Top 10.

Tells us all we need to know about the "average" railway modeller!

Mike.

In future could we have a ‘RON’ (reopen nominations) choice for each category as I found a significant number of catalogues did not get a vote from me...

If RON tops the poll in a catagory, then we start again! And again, and again, possibly until it’s time for the next year’s competition.

Duncan

I just completed the survey.

I noted that we made it in the top 10 retailers for Customer Service (I answered "No Answer" to that question!  :) )

Thanks very much for the nominations! It's certainly put a smile on my face and I'll let the staff know, who I'm sure will be delighted, as we all always try our best.

• Like 2