Hornby 2018 - the full announcements

Andy Y

Yes. That blue "East Asiatic" Merchant does look really tasty indeed.

Surprised there isn't as single new wagon design there but the Pumpherston tank wagon livery looks like a good sop to the Scottish modellers. Would they be a match for "Maude" ?

Phew my wallet can breath a sigh of relief (and my long suffering partner)

Interested in the Maunsell first kitchen diner as part of a cross country service. Out of interest would the second/third open have been used to provide second/third accomodation for the kitchen car?

Rovex

Edited by rovex

Am I missing something?  I can't see the NE Toad that's referred to in the heading.

Good point. Not seen it either since you mention it. "Maude, some Pumpherston tanks and that brakevan might be a useful combo

• RMweb Premium

J36 . At last something Scottish and a delightful wee engine too .  NB one a must, although I note it says ERA 7 , so that must be as preserved. LNER one maybe and a BR one , but id modify to late crest, Can run it with a green 37 on Longannet coal trains

Others of interest too:

Blue MN

Castle Class single chimney Collett tender , at last!

A little surprised at Streamline Coronation . I suppose that's to use new Duchess chassis, but did it need a new body , I thought the old one was very acceptable .

Have to laugh....another NSE Class 50

Overall seems a bit tame compared to previous years , but that's understandable  and overall I think theres enough to generate excitement . J36 Yay!

Oh poop!  Just noticed Maud is DCC TTS . Why do they do that......................

Edited by Legend
  • Like 2

My chief wish has been granted !. The Maunsell restaurant car !.

A long time coming, but now to become a reality. Also delighted to see the Maunsell TO/SO 

in Blood and Custard.

Might as well have a Lord Nelson to haul them.

Of no interest to me, but i'm pleased for the Scottish boys.

Looks like I have dodged another bullet there, it's a pity that the AA15 Toad is only in BR livery, oh well there is always next year, I would however like to get my hands in a black Peckett as I am planning on building a small colliery as part of a future layout.

Edited by David Stannard

Phew my wallet can breath a sigh of relief (and my long suffering partner)

Interested in the Maunsell first kitchen diner as part of a cross country service. Out of interest would the second/third open have been used to provide second/third accomodation for the kitchen car?

Rovex

Yes. They were usually paired.

Jason

Nice list, I was initially impressed with the format, but actually it is littered with errors (Virgin Trains East Coast Class 87 and DVT anyone?) and some of the formatting makes it difficult to read - particularly the 'number of units' column.

Virgin 87 and maybe the Loadhaul 60 for me!

• RMweb Premium

I like the way the information is presented around the images, to show the era and regions(s) of operation. A pity though that there's not a better description of the livery and they're still side on. Presumably they will be like that in the catalogue? The livery details may be clear from the image but not always - presumably Princess Coronation 6221 will be blue and 6229 and 6244 red, but will the majority of buyers know that?

Good to see a BR Green Late Crest Castle with single (as opposed to double) chimney at last.

I hope 50033 in NSE livery will have the correct darker blue and the nameplate correctly positioned so it reads "Glorious Network SouthEast".

Good to see some more Maunsell coaches in BR (S) Green at last. And presumably to be available together to make up accurate coach sets.

No new tooling coaches or wagons by the look of it. I suppose this is a result of the financial problems and a need to cut back the range of all new models. So be it, but could it mean Bulleids were to be announced but have to removed following Bachmann's announcement? Hopefully not for Hornby's financials.

EDIT shouldn't there be a Maunsell restaurant car? No image in Andy's list just mentioned in the heading.

Edited by brushman47544
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Two oddities here:

Deffered items from 2017 marked as sold out so presumably only included to pad it out a bit and more BR black S15s when the last batch are still floating around heavily discounted.

Where is the Skaledale stuff?

• RMweb Gold

Blue merchant

Blood custard Maunsell 2nds...

50033 Glorious

50040- I’m a sucker for 50’s... (and Kernow have 50010/07 to come too !)

673 Maude !

Maunsell diner Hallelujah at last !!!!

https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/shop/new-for-2018/br-maunsell-kitchen-dining-first-s7946s-era-4-5.html

Two new BR era diagram brake vans too !

Glad to see they’ve managed to keep a grip on prices too.

Isn’t there a contrast between yesterday and today.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

Why ? Take the chip out that is all that is needed surely.

Yes, though it's frustrating to have to pay the extra price for the model to be DCC fitted, only to have to disassemble what's likely to be a fairly delicate model and remove the chip (plus acquire a blanking chip and fit that) if one isn't going to use it!