The Snailbeach District Railways by Andy Cuckson

tractionman

• RMweb Gold

hi folks,

Just a quick one about a book I have bought--'The Snailbeach District Railways' by Andy Cuckson.

Published in paperback by Twelveheads for a remarkable £20: http://www.twelveheads.com/t901.htm

This is a reprint of the hardback, which sold out--an absolute corker of a book, fantastic production values (lovely paper etc) and very readable yet well-researched, scholarly even--it has references!

The book covers the history of the SDR and associated lines and the local mines, the rolling stock, construction and engineering of the line, social history and buildings--it is full of well-reproduced photographs, as well as excellent scaled maps and drawings

I've always had a soft spot for the SDR ever since I first saw pictures of the line in the early 1980s published in the 'West Midlands Branch Line Album'. Happy memories too of searching out the remains of the line in a lovely part of England.

With the Bachmann WDR Baldwin about to appear, probably a good time to think about modelling the SDR--I still have my Dundas 009 Snailbeach coal wagon, purchased many moons ago and one of the first kits I ever built!

Andy Cuckson's book offers a load of detailed inf for those seeking to model this little line. Highly recommended!

all the best,

Keith

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks from me too, Keith. A line that's fascinated me since a Roy Link article on the Crowsnest Tramway in the Modeller in the 70s / 80s. One winging it's way to California.

• Like 1