Train Blown Over in Switzerland

luckymucklebackit

Guest theonlydt

It is and it's one of their driving trailers. Hope they were ok as I can't see anything about injuries.

https://goo.gl/images/V7kwSt

Wikipedia entry quotes eight injured, but, you know, it's wikipedia...

Assume narrow gauge more likely to tip over in winds such as these?

• RMweb Gold

It is metre gauge but they are proportionally smaller so there shouldn't be much more chance than a taller standard gauge vehicle. The driving trailer is going to be pretty heavy compared to a standard coach too with the extra control gear.

I suspect this was more than just pure wind due to its angle off the track and only one coach off from the set in a fairly open area. Ice or wind blown debris on the track combined with the wind is more likely.

It isn't the first time that such a thing has happened.  A charter train on the Esquel line (76cm gauge) in Argentina was blown over back in 2011.  In that instance, a slightly higher line speed combined with an extra strong gust of wind appears to have been the cause.

• RMweb Premium

It isn't the first time that such a thing has happened.  A charter train on the Esquel line (76cm gauge) in Argentina was blown over back in 2011.  In that instance, a slightly higher line speed combined with an extra strong gust of wind appears to have been the cause.

It isn't the first time it's happened in Switzerland, either - I remember reading of a similar incident on a narrow gauge line a few years ago.  I tried Googling to recall the details, but couldn't find it.  I had in mind the Appenzellerbahn, but that may not be correct.

It was identified as a risk when Eurotunnel were designing their system, particularly with regard to the long loop from the French portal to the platforms; it was identified that there was a potential risk of stock being blown over on the curved section if the wind-force was high enough. To this end, anemometers were installed at various points, connected to a series of warning lamps in the Control Centres; should the 'right' combination of force and direction occur, then operation 'en-tiroir' is put in place. All arrivals and departures in the UK are via the Arrival fan, whilst French arrivals and departures are via the Departure fan. This is a mode of operation that is difficult to sustain for long in unplanned circumstances, as the normal cycle time for trains of 2 hours is extended by about 20 minutes, due to the need for the train to be closed after unloading, a short brake-test carried out, and the train reopened for re-loading.

It isn't the first time it's happened in Switzerland, either - I remember reading of a similar incident on a narrow gauge line a few years ago.  I tried Googling to recall the details, but couldn't find it.  I had in mind the Appenzellerbahn, but that may not be correct.

Yes that is correct.

Here is the French language report with the video.

http://www.20min.ch/ro/news/suisse/story/Un-wagon-deraille-a-La-Lenk--plusieurs-blesses-19108130

incredible that someone was filming at that moment

• RMweb Gold

It was identified as a risk when Eurotunnel were designing their system, particularly with regard to the long loop from the French portal to the platforms; it was identified that there was a potential risk of stock being blown over on the curved section if the wind-force was high enough. To this end, anemometers were installed at various points, connected to a series of warning lamps in the Control Centres; should the 'right' combination of force and direction occur, then operation 'en-tiroir' is put in place. All arrivals and departures in the UK are via the Arrival fan, whilst French arrivals and departures are via the Departure fan. This is a mode of operation that is difficult to sustain for long in unplanned circumstances, as the normal cycle time for trains of 2 hours is extended by about 20 minutes, due to the need for the train to be closed after unloading, a short brake-test carried out, and the train reopened for re-loading.

The ET amended timetable for such events used to be called 'Grand Vent'

The ET amended timetable for such events used to be called 'Grand Vent'

As opposed to 'Grande Ventre'...

I must have a look for this timetable as, on the one occasion that I had to worked unplanned en-tiroir (due to a tamper having cut a collection of signalling cables), I had to make it up as I went along. The problem started on a Saturday morning, finishing after lunch on the Sunday.

• RMweb Gold

As opposed to 'Grande Ventre'...

I must have a look for this timetable as, on the one occasion that I had to worked unplanned en-tiroir (due to a tamper having cut a collection of signalling cables), I had to make it up as I went along. The problem started on a Saturday morning, finishing after lunch on the Sunday.

I am going back quite a few years Brian but you might find that planning still have a copy of it - they were forever trotting out the threat of it and David did once show me a copy but that is probably about 20 years back!