Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Should those who display at exhibitions engage with members of the public?

Jamiel

Should those who display layouts, demonstrate or exhibit in other ways at model rail exhibitions engage with members of the public who try to ask questions?

I do feel that exhibitions are a place where people can be encouraged into the hobby, where skills and experiences can be shared, and I feel that there is some responsibility on those who exhibit to not only show their models, but to also to engage with people paying to attend the show. Perhaps I am wrong in this respect.

I quite understand that at times people operating layouts have problems to deal with that are a priority, broken point motors, unresponsive locos, a myriad of things that can, and do wrong just at the busiest point in the show. I also know that at times those demonstrating modeling techniques have similar issues.

In contrast I have found on quite a few occasions that people demonstrating a layout will have conversations among themselves when it is quite obvious that I as a paying visitor to a show am keen to ask something about the layout. At one show in 2017, where a stand was set up to give information about a layout in its early stages with no stock or track to run, I was completely ignored by the two people at the stand (there were no others at the stand at the time). I had followed the planning of the layout on this forum and was looking forward to seeing the stand to learn more, especially as the stand at an exhibition had been publicised on the layout's thread.

I would say that this is generally the case modelers are more than happy to engage with the public, and that I have had wonderfully informative conversations with some of the finest modelers in the hobby.

I do not wish to name layouts or demonstrators (or for others to do so), or for vitriolic replies, but would be interested to see if fellow exhibition visitors and exhibitors have had similar experiences and how they have felt about it, and what people feel is the etiquette of displaying and attending model rail exhibitions.

People are people and they do vary a lot!! However, I am always willing to chat and discuss with visitors. At busy times we do try to have a spare operator whose duty is to be a 'talker' usually positioned at one end (my layouts are quite short) so that chats can take place without stopping viewing. There have been times when I felt that I have done more talking than operating during the show! I have had some fascinating conversations on almost any aspect of the layout, general railway matters, met some interesting people and learnt some new stuff.

Yes one gets the occasional, "You've got that wrong!" muttered before walking away, but that's usually rare. Other times it's quite suprising chats, at one show in East Anglia al lot of visitors said, "I went to school on one of those." pointing to a green 2BIL! Obviously they had all retired up that way!

John

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

I think exhibitors should freely engage with people viewing their layout, providing it doesnt mean they stop running trains, which detracts from the enjoyment of the rest of us watching.

I go to too many exhibitions where there is so little happening, on a number of layouts, that I just walk on by. Some of this is due to the exhibitor being too involved in debates over the rolling stock in use or some aspect of the scenery construction.

It can also be due to, and this is more annoying, the exhibitors having completely unrelated conversations between themselves. At a recent exhibiton i attended, this point was emphasised by a debate about expenses relating to the exhibition in progress! I dont pay to listen to peoples issues such as this - this is for Saturday night over dinner or back at the clubroom.

No doubt, there maybe some who are now reading this post and say "who is this bloke - what has he ever exhibited?". Well, I havent done a lot, but I have exhibited my own layouts or helped run others layouts and have tried to entertain, as I want to be entertained. Where possible, I did try and engage with people and found / find it to be a vital part of exhibitions.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

The immediate answer is "yes". Indeed I would go further, exhibitors should try to engage with anyone looking especially interested in their layout. OK, that is much more of an ask, as it's often hard to know what the person is drawn to about a layout, and therefore where to start a conversation. It's certainly not something I find easy, but can open a good discussion.

However, it is sometimes difficult if the layout is under-staffed, if things are going wrong, or if the person who knows about a particular feature or item of rolling stock is either the person currently concentrating on running the trains, or worse is away from the layout.

Chatting between operators should never be seen as acceptable. OK, I do it, but as soon as visitors come close to the layout chat stops, trains start, ready for their interest. If they walk on past, then conversation can resume. Its the same with packing away at the end of a show, there will be exhibitors who are ready to leave the room as the last visitor steps out, but surely the last visitor at the show deserves the same level of service as those in the opening rush? Even if has been a long, hard weekend, and there is still that long drive home.

Having been on both sides of the barriers I appreciate that exhibiting is hard work, which is why I'm afraid I only rarely do it, and why I appreciate those who do show off their work in public.

• Like 7

On London Road we have a mix of information displays which provide details of the layout, stock, etc.and large scale photos on the fiddle yard surrounds. These were added after we found that the general public wanted to engage the FY operators in conversation which therefore affected their concentration and prevented us maintaining regular running. We also have someone "extra" available to handle questions, etc.

Our operators do talk to each other, but generally only as part of operating the layout. We like to run with two "teams", usually operating as intensively as the layout permits for about 45 minutes, giving each team a break to recover, look around the show, get a cup of coffee, etc.

When we displayed two baseboards of the part built layout extension we put cards on specific items, describing how they were made, etc. These acted as great "ice breakers" starting further enquiries and conversations.

post-1191-0-26834700-1515153797_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Hi,

From my own experiences, I'm happy to talk to punters at shows, up to a point. I currently operate (but only one is mine) four completely different layouts and have previously operated another 3 at various points. Each has a different impact on the way I engage with punters,

Members of the public are generally very polite and wait until a quiet moment when I'm not operating heavily to ask questions, and that's fine. The problems come with either those who decide just to barge into a question when I'm trying to carefully shunt a goods yard or those who simply rock up to say 'that's wrong, you should have done it this way' and wait for a response. In those case, it is quite a task to concentrate on what you doing as well as answer politely. I think there should be some emphasis placed on the general public that they should be polite and considerate (which they generally are, but there's the odd one who makes it less so). Also, it should be noted that the average punter spends probably around 3 hours at a show, where as the operators are spending 7 or 8 hours at a show, so we do need a break every so often and unfortunately this falls sometimes when members of the public want to ask questions.

I agree that exhibitors should interact with the public, but there must be some leniency if we are expect to maintain a full service, to keep the public entertained, at the same time.

Simon

• Like 7

Good point, well brought out by the OP.

I say the more interaction the better. Clubs with teams large enough to field a dedicated front of house person are encouraged to do so!  Solo operators may be faced with multi-tasking dilemmas, but I have found most happy to chat - well, they don't have anyone else to talk to!

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I try to be proactive in talking to viewers when exhibiting.  Often you feel the viewer would like to ask something, but is unsure of the 'protocol'. I also try to exhibit from the front of the layout to make the interaction easier (also because I've spent time making it look good from the front and looking down on it from the top isn't as interesting).  Often, just a simple 'Hello' is enough to break the ice and start a conversation.

• Like 10

Exhibitors have a duty to entertain paying visitors. I completely agree that exhibitors have a should always engage with paying visitors. I would even say it is quite wrong for exhibitors to chat with each other (unless it is pertinent to the running of the layout) when there are paying visitors who may wish to speak with them. Having said that the top priority must be to keep trains running while there are paying visitors watching; this is the only thing that is more important than engaging with visitors.

It has to be said that a very small proportion of visitors are a pain and it is a relief when they move on to another layout.

It is good to let youngsters have a drive if circumstances permit and I give this priority over engaging with others. I have found that nearly all youngsters are very careful when given the chance to drive a train.

I’m not sure about having spare operators unless they are placed in front of the layout specifically to chat. Quite often the layouts with the most operators run the fewest trains.

Edited by Chris M
  • Like 4

Always happy to engage with visitors when we are at exhibitions.  I cant imagine exhibiting and then ignoring those who have taken the time to look at your layout.

Loads of examples.

Answering questions about a piece of rolling stock, explaining how something was built, explaining how say flexi track is used or wires are soldered to track etc etc

Accommodating a request to see a particular train they have seen in the fiddle yard, or slowing one down to allow a train to be photographed at a particular point on the layout.

Last year we were exhibiting at an event with a layout in mid 80s guise..  At one point there was only a few visitors, I heard a boy talking to his dad, they look like Mk2 coaches he said, impressive I thought (better than half my club), then later on I heard him trying to decide if the coaches passing him were Mk2 d, e or f, very impressive (better than most of my Mk1 maroon liveried loving fellow club members!). So we had a wee blether about the differences in Mk2 coaches, then when things quietened down a bit more, we invited him in to help operate, he had a ball and stayed for hours.  He and his dad now come to our club on a regular basis travelling the best part of a hour.

Yes as per the OP sometimes things go wrong and the focus has to be getting the trains running, but even then it is unlikely all the layout operators will or can be engaged in dealing with the issue.  Quite often the less technical amongst us find we have a wee bit free time for a blether with the visitors who are wondering why not much is happening at that precise moment.

One of our previous layouts, Barnhill Camp had the control panel and stool for the yard area out the front amongst the visitors while the panel for the twin loops was located in the "normal" location inside the layout.  The yard area was based on a yard where WW2 tanks etc. were being loaded onto trains in preparation for D Day.  The layout was built to display a former members interest and by default he used to sit out front, he was best placed to explain every train and piece of military hardware featured on the layout.

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

We try as a club, but one layout takes 5 operators of which 3 are linked by headsets so any interaction has to preclude them, at least one of the others will make themselves available to answer any questions and if there are any spare they will do the same.

It has to be said that occasionally you'll be talking and concentrating on the headset about the next move, and a member of the public will lean over and start talking to you, we always reply or shout for another to answer. This usually works and we've had no negative comments.

• Like 4

I've only really been behind a layout at a 'proper' exhibition a couple of times (I've helped out mates for ten minutes at random shows, but that's a little different) and I always try and present a good face to the paying public, and so always try to stand at the side and front of the layout so I'm obviously there to answer questions and help out. In the case of Cliffhanger (when I was lucky enough to be on the crew for it) it also served to prevent little tykes from sticking their hands through the roof of the Glenthorne Lido :) .

As Joe or Jane Public has paid their money to get in, I consider it only polite to engage with them directly about the layout, its history, construction, what loco is running etc. I do acknowledge that the largely automated systems at play on Cliffhanger, Bratton Flemming and County Gate allowed me to do that without having to worry too much about the actual running of the trains, but people did seem to enjoy being spoken to about the model as well as the chance to ask questions about it.

However, I do think that it should also be appreciated that people who exhibit model railways are not paid professionals, so as a regular exhibition goer myself I don't have a problem with layout operators chatting amongst themselves as long as they aren't doing it to actively ignore their viewers, which would be rude, I agree

Edited by Edge
  • Like 5

One of the several reasons that I prefer the smaller, less formal, events, rather than the big set-piece shows, is that, whichever ‘side’ you are on, they allow more opportunity for gasbagging. A very busy hall, pressed shoulder-to-shoulder, isn’t conducive to anything, except possibly mild annoyance all round.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

We generally have a good relationship with those viewing our various creations including Treneglos, Diesels in the Duchy and Black Country Blues. Many of those we have chatted to are now friends on here and those showing interest have often found themselves operating behind the layout. As a result we have been presented with things as carried as folders of info, beer, stock, cakes and Cornish cream teas.

I used to regularly exhibit and demonstrate at shows but clashes with home and work life have made that difficult of late. I do miss meeting up with folk, even though you occasionally got stuck with the odd very peculiar person from Truro. ;-p

• Like 1

The only questions I ever got asked while exhibiting were a lead in to either a monoalgue on how great their modeling skill (or knowledge of the prototype) is or a critisim for getting things wrong. Something I have to regularly remind myself when picking up basic errors on pointwork, curve design or roads, particularly on broad gauge (EM/P4) layouts.  

• Like 3

To me as a visitor it is the icing in the cake at a good show to have a conversation with an enthusiastic knowlegable

owner or operator of a layout that I like. 

I hope that I am able to accurately judge when an operator is happy to have a chat, and that tends to be later in the day

perhaps when the venue is a bit quieter. At a quiet moment I like to make an appreciative comment about the layout and it is often clear

if the operaror is happy to chat about the layout or explain things.

Though I must admit to sometimes being the cause of a signal passed at danger due to distracting the driver!  

I do understand that some good modelers are not always comfortable with public interaction, but we are all there to (hopefully) enjoy the day.

I also think that chatting between operators is ok as long as they acknowledge visitors, to me a happy team comes over as friendly and approachable,

cheers

• Like 6

I love to have a chat with people looking at my layout at exhibitions; I'll politely discuss any aspect of the layout they're interested in, debate their opinion of any faults they might pick up and point them in the direction of traders to find a particular kit or detail they like the look of. If I get the chance I'll say hello to anybody I can make eye contact with, I like kids to come around the back and have a drive if it's reasonably quiet.

I also like to have a chat with my fellow operators, who I might not see from one exhibition to the next. I like to have some banter with them, particularly if they (or me) make a mistake - some of the banter might get a bit lively (though always appropriate for before the watershed) and some of the spectators seem to enjoy it. I'll be self-deprecating about derailments, accidents and problems. I might even light heartedly ask people to look away or look at a different part of the layout while I right a problem.

If I'm away for the weekend I like to text my wife periodically or I might have a chat about something unrelated to railways with a friend visiting the show who I might not have seen for a year or two. I appreciate people have paid to come to the exhibition and I will always do my best to entertain them with my offering, but I don't think I have a duty to be utterly focussed on the layout and model railways while I'm operating. I'm there to enjoy myself as well.

• Like 4

The only problem I experience is that being male I cannot multi-task so when I talk to the public, the operating tends to suffer. However, exhibitions are essentially social affairs and meeting and talking to people is a big part of what we are there for. We have all benefitted from asking others how to do things.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I love to have a chat with people looking at my layout at exhibitions; I'll politely discuss any aspect of the layout they're interested in, debate their opinion of any faults they might pick up and point them in the direction of traders to find a particular kit or detail they like the look of. If I get the chance I'll say hello to anybody I can make eye contact with, I like kids to come around the back and have a drive if it's reasonably quiet.

I also like to have a chat with my fellow operators, who I might not see from one exhibition to the next. I like to have some banter with them, particularly if they (or me) make a mistake - some of the banter might get a bit lively (though always appropriate for before the watershed) and some of the spectators seem to enjoy it. I'll be self-deprecating about derailments, accidents and problems. I might even light heartedly ask people to look away or look at a different part of the layout while I right a problem.

If I'm away for the weekend I like to text my wife periodically or I might have a chat about something unrelated to railways with a friend visiting the show who I might not have seen for a year or two. I appreciate people have paid to come to the exhibition and I will always do my best to entertain them with my offering, but I don't think I have a duty to be utterly focussed on the layout and model railways while I'm operating. I'm there to enjoy myself as well.

I think you have the balance spot on there.

People forget that exhibiting has to be an enjoyable experience for the layout operators too. You give up a weekend to spend time showing the layout to the paying public but generally don't cover your costs and certainly don't receive any share of the exhibition organiser's profit. Very different from lots of other music/sport events where the performers make a living from being entertaining.

What some folk also forget is how "challenging" some of the general public can be, ranging from eccentric through to downright rude. You can be a stationary and long duration target for some quite random conversations/rants.

Yes, entertaining the paying public is an important aspect of exhibiting a layout but so is having a bit if fun whilst away. It's all about getting the balance right.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I think exhibitors should freely engage with people viewing their layout, providing it doesnt mean they stop running trains, which detracts from the enjoyment of the rest of us watching.

I go to too many exhibitions where there is so little happening, on a number of layouts, that I just walk on by. Some of this is due to the exhibitor being too involved in debates over the rolling stock in use or some aspect of the scenery construction.

Catch 22 situation - been there, done that.

I had a small shunting layout that was operated from the front - even the stock storage was under the layout and very visible, and thus easy to engage the public.  It was a one-man (*) operated layout and once someone asks questions about a particular model or aspect of the layout, it becomes very difficult to carry on shunting. It wasn't like we could leave a train to go round.

(*) There were usually two of us taking the layout to a show, but more likely than not, the secondman would be away on a break/looking around rather than available to chat.

In various guises as layout builder/owner/co-owner/club layout manager, I usually know the most about the layout and as such, try to make myself available and hopefully have a good operating team that can do just that, leaving me to field the questions. Although, having said that, I do also like to play with my own trainset at an exhibition as it's never operated at home.

I note that the majority of replies from above are from exhibitors who are willing to engage. And I reckon that most exhibitors will interact with the public in the right circumstances as after all, we are making an exhibition of ourselves.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 7

Communicate with the audience?  I should say so, it's what exhibiting is all about. I have always maintained that I have taken a layout out to "Educate, be educated and have a good time!" No shows are alike, at one show the audience ask questions about one aspect of the layout. At another it's something ease and so on.

I have tried to have the three of us operating, where two do the work and the third goes for tea or just rests. Also if that person notices one of the other two operators being questioned about some aspect of the layout, he (or she) can take over their controller and allow the conversation to continue.

If a difficult question is put, I say to them, "Just step into my office" and indicate a move along the layout to one end. 

I think as a father myself, the sound of a person giving an incorrect answer to a child needs handling with care so as not to course embarrassment.

Sometimes you get a remark made which is not really necessary.  The person concerned observed my signal gantries were of a 1990 vintage and it being day one of that show, the rolling stock was 1960's. I told him that the date was pushed forwards over the show time and by the second afternoon it would be the present day. I further told him that to update everything would be impossible and in any-case, colour light signals were easier on DCC. 

Finally I would say, try your luck in such places as Germany, Holland or France! The first two are relatively easy but If you are not prepared to at leased try your schoolboy (or girl) French, you will be stuck. 

I've had two Dutchmen looking at the flash unit for the third rail and when I realised I had found the only two Dutchmen who didn't speak English, I waved them around and into the operating area to see for themselves.  They departed with a "Thank you" and I replied with "Dank u wel "     

Reading further on, the comment about chocolate coated biscuits, banned on my layout because of sticky fingers. Other types of biscuits are allowed and certainly buns!

In Belgium we were given beer tokens for 2 Euros and there was much unrest when it was discovered the beer was 2 Euros 30 cents but the chap behind the bar  just took the tokens and didn't ask for the coinage. After that the cry was "Is it beer o'clock yet?" 

Edited by Judge Dread
  • Like 3