Perth Model Railway Show 23 and 24 June 2018

Waverley47708

Determined to get to my first Perth show for a visit this year. Had a hotel reserved last year but had to cancel when work got in the way.

Will look forward to seeing you this summer. Hope you manage to get time off work!

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

Exhibition Manager Stan here:

I am thinking about running some railway film shows or slide shows at our forthcoming exhibition as something a bit different. What I would like is to create a theatre in one of the side rooms and have a narrated slide show. Does anyone wish to present such a show? Does anyone know where I may find someone to present such a show?

Willing volunteers please pm me or spread the word that I am looking for someone who might be able to do this.

Thanks.

Decided, on a whim,to visit Perth today and would normally attempt to park at the Dewars Centre, only to be faced with barriers on entry to the car park and a sign indicating the necessity to pay for parking there, always having been free in the past. It would seem that it will cost quite a bit to stay for the amount of time one would spend at the show and I also wonder about the exhibitors. Perth is following most places now in insisting on payment to park your car anywhere near to the town. I hope this will not deter any visitors to the show and hence affect the attendance figures.

As I had no real reason to be in Perth, other than to visit a pleasant place, I am afraid I just left and went elsewhere. Do local councils not see that excessive parking charges may put people off visiting their places?

Edited by ScRSG

I think the charges were introduced as a result of people working or shopping in the city centre using it all day long as a free car park, using up spaces for those going to the Dewars Centre. Sometimes it could be difficult to get a space when going to the pool or the Dewars Centre.

As always there will be the Park and Ride option on the Saturday from Broxden.

The train station is only a 5 minute walk away for those arriving by train.

Edited by Waverley47708

Decided, on a whim,to visit Perth today and would normally attempt to park at the Dewars Centre, only to be faced with barriers on entry to the car park and a sign indicating the necessity to pay for parking there, always having been free in the past. It would seem that it will cost quite a bit to stay for the amount of time one would spend at the show and I also wonder about the exhibitors. Perth is following most places now in insisting on payment to park your car anywhere near to the town. I hope this will not deter any visitors to the show and hence affect the attendance figures.

As I had no real reason to be in Perth, other than to visit a pleasant place, I am afraid I just left and went elsewhere. Do local councils not see that excessive parking charges may put people off visitinrung their places?

Just to clarify the parking situation.

Dewars Centre is run by a not for profit company owned by the council. They installed barriers and parking charges to stop people using their car park as an all day free area so that visitors to the pool and centre could park.

The good news is that for the entire weekend of the Perth show, the barriers will be in an upright position and parking will be free. We negotiated this as a result of our concerns over the visitor experience. So normal service is maintained.

Regards,

Stan

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...

I attended Perth for the first time last year and a most excellent show it was. Unfortunately Scotrail's 'new' HSTs will probably not be working through Perth in time for this year, but I look forward to them for 2019 !

I attended Perth for the first time last year and a most excellent show it was. Unfortunately Scotrail's 'new' HSTs will probably not be working through Perth in time for this year, but I look forward to them for 2019 !

Glad you enjoyed the show last year.

Was not sure I assumed the HSTs would be running, I am looking forward to seeing them plying their trade to and from Perth.

If you are based North of Perth you could always get the Highland Chieftain HST from Inverness and arrive just in time for opening on the Saturday!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Nothing from Aberdeen MRC, that's surprising.  Is there a reason for this?   :secret:

The Kinloss MRC layout is spelt wrong.  Teesside has two s's (sorry, personal bugbear of mine!).

I'm a big fan of the Perth show and have managed to attend all the shows since I returned to the UK almost 6 year ago.  Bring on the next one   :yahoo:

Nothing from Aberdeen MRC, that's surprising.  Is there a reason for this?   :secret:

The Kinloss MRC layout is spelt wrong.  Teesside has two s's (sorry, personal bugbear of mine!).

I'm a big fan of the Perth show and have managed to attend all the shows since I returned to the UK almost 6 year ago.  Bring on the next one   :yahoo:

Hi,

Due to space restrictions (our show is full up!) and the demand of other exhibitions we tend to have a deal with Aberdeen MRC where we have them every second year. We visit their show in a similar arrangement.  

Sorry for the spelling error. Corrected now on our website.

• 2 weeks later...

Westford, I expect http://www.westfordmodellers.co.uk/

When I lived in Glasgow I always tried to get to the Perth show. The most memorable exhibit for me was Richard Chown's Allendenac http://home.btconnect.com/Enhance-Ecosse/Allendenac.html

Thanks for your comments regarding the late Richard Chown's Allendenac. The layout is now safely in the custody of me, Stan Moug and is in storage in Perth awaiting the opportunity of working on it with eventual exhibition in mind.

Just to clarify the parking situation.

Dewars Centre is run by a not for profit company owned by the council. They installed barriers and parking charges to stop people using their car park as an all day free area so that visitors to the pool and centre could park.

The good news is that for the entire weekend of the Perth show, the barriers will be in an upright position and parking will be free. We negotiated this as a result of our concerns over the visitor experience. So normal service is maintained.

Regards,

Stan

An update and correction on the car parking situation:

The Dewars Centre car park barriers will be in operation. A "delegate" car parking charge of £1 will apply which will apply no matter how long you park. Please also note, however, that the barriers are lifted at 4.00pm both days so anyone staying after 4 will not need to pay anything. 

The car park now looks much less full on a normal day so there should be more spaces available for our visitors.

Anyone who has concerns about the parking charge should contact Stan (Exhibition Manager) at any time during the show.

Three weeks until set up day for Scotland's Summer Show, and if this heat we have been enjoying for the past month keeps up, I think shorts and T shirts will be the order of the day.

The exhibition manager tells me that the floor plan is more or less completed and I am to commit it to memory. Certain traders always seem to occupy the same place so I have a head start.  That's all very well but there are always last minutes tweeks for one reason or another.

Delighted to see Grimy Times are coming to the show for the first time, three of the 47s on my layout have been courtesy of the Grimy Times airbrush.

Have updated the original post with the latest list of those attending. By my count 42 layouts, 38 trade stands, 13 societies and one manufacturer.

Edited by Waverley47708
  • Like 1