Mystery van - identification help please

Neil

• RMweb Premium

Whilst browsing images of Belgium I saw this van (cropped from the original) in a street scene which I don't recognise.

post-6793-0-23334400-1515247276.jpg

I post in the hope that the collective expertise of RMweb can come up with an identification and satisfy my curiosity.

Many thanks.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Overall shape is not unlike 1950s Peugeot, but the front is nothing like anything I've ever seen. Searches on Simca, Panhard and Talbot all come up with a similar overall shape but nothing resembling the front.

Nearest likeness on Google is something called a Tempo which seems to have been made by VW for the Australian market.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

I can tell you that Wasserij Iris was, and still is, a small chain of launderettes located in several places just to the east of Brussels in what is today the Province of Vlaamse Brabant, and it looks as if this is their service van, probably somewhere in Brussels given the standard gauge tramway. A slight puzzle is that the type of paving round the tram tracks would normally only have been used for reserved track in an area where pedestrians could have access.

Edited by bécasse

• RMweb Premium

Many thanks for all the replies, my curiosity is satisfied and I know more now than I did at the beginning of the day.

Becasse - the image was cropped from this photo, which google tells me is the road from Antwerp to Turnhout. Further photos on this page. It's interesting to know that a business from the sixties still survives.

• Like 1

Many thanks for all the replies, my curiosity is satisfied and I know more now than I did at the beginning of the day.

Becasse - the image was cropped from this photo, which google tells me is the road from Antwerp to Turnhout. Further photos on this page. It's interesting to know that a business from the sixties still survives.

The Turnhoutsebaan, now the N12 and one of the main routes running east out of Antwerpen through Borgerhout. I was surprised to discover that the tramway is metre, rather than standard, gauge and it demonstrates how road vehicles have got wider since the 1960s. I have found it difficult to identify the precise location(s) but trams still run along the road there - and underneath it!

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I'm always fascinated by the threads that turn up on RMweb, and astonished at the knowledge users have!

Here is this quick query about a van on a road somewhere in Europe. And within a couple of hours, a full and definitive answer is provided. Astonishing!

The links The Signal Engineer gives us at post 7 are fascinating. The van in America sold for $101,750 - goodness!! A model would be considerably cheaper! And the British registered example has the registration 104 YUK. Was YUK really its original registration number, or did the owner's wife, who might detest the van, give it to him as a 'present'?! Who knows!

John Storey