Bachmann announcements 2018 - full list

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

Very nice - new 25s! Making a stand in the face of SLW perhaps?

However 25/1 and 25/2 with early body shell - as announced 25060 -  with all the grilles are logical developments from 24 but not 25/2 - as announced D5282 - with later body style - cantrail grilles instead of body side.  25/0 would be more logical!

Will drop Bachmann an email and see what they say

And as for retooled Blue Pullman - Oh the dilemma - do I keep my out of era Nanking Blue LMR one or do I silence Jimbo's grumbling and swap it for a reverse livery WR set....???

Kind regards

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The other big surprise is the introduction of shallow-vent Bulleids - I was expecting the Farish versions which have deeper sliding vents to be reproduced for the larger scale. 

At least Bachmann's made the right choice because they've appeared in malachite!

Only the 10" version is correct in malachite, the 15" vents were only fitted to coaches built under BR, which were/should have been crimson/cream from new.

I wonder which ones Hornby are going to announce tomorrow................

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

Well we don't yet know what they are planning exactly so can't really say what is/isn't right however there are some differences that are important to note:

Alice, Britomart & Dorothea all share the same frames. Nesta has very different ones which are unique to the Penrhyn locos. 

Britomart & Dorothea have different cabs, neither extends forward of the back of the saddle tank, but they are never the less different. Nesta & Alice's cab side sheets do extend past the back of the saddle tank and are attached to it's side with a bracket along the top. 

Alice should have the standard Dinorwic steam turret and injectors on the backhead, Nesta should have the penrhyn Steam turret with salter safety valves  on the backhead, injectors on the tank sides. 

Chimneys should be short on Nesta & Alice (Unless Alice as preserved in which case long) the cabbed ones should be long. 

All this is without going into tank and smokebox rivetting patterns, nameplate positions and buffer lengths, which could all vary wildly! 

Liveries could also be fun - what is Dinorwic Red livery? well it isn't set in stone that's for sure, and Britomart never was blue at Pen yr Orsedd. 

But yes, very excited to have some in RTR form, going to be buying several! 

That's far more differences than I realised :O  The recent video on the Midland 1P outlines the very thorough research but when we get some CADS, if they've got some things wrong then send them an email because they are intent to get it as correct as possible.  I might have to move my GWR layout's location from Cornwall to Wales in order to justify them :D

Edited by GWR8700
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

This is a relatively thin list with new versions and new tooling but nothing completely new in either OO or N.

So the H1 Atlantic isn’t new? It is quite distinct from the H2 in multiple details, not least the footplate wiggle. Furthermore, the H2 numbered 6 examples, the H1 only 5. Few smaller railways the size of the Brighton have had such a covering of their tender express power.

• Like 1

That's far more differences than I realised :O  The recent video on the Midland 1P outlines the very thorough research but when we get some CADS, if they've got some things wrong then send them an email because they are intent to get it as correct as possible.  I might have to move my GWR layout's location from Cornwall to Wales in order to justify them :D

Dorothea's not too dissimilar to the pair that worked at Delabole, just need to remove the cab back and rename.... 

• RMweb Gold

Do I need any more Sulzer Bo-Bos?

I have just started a bl***y swear jar, so hopefully when the bu**er model hits the 'king shops I will have saved enough up.

A thousand curses upon them. Oh, heck, what have I said............

Edited by Dunsignalling

I had an inkling that someone would be producing Bulleids so I've held off buying Comet kits for a couple of years. I wonder whether Hornby have also planned some? 59 footers would be a good shout as they already have the chassis.

But to me the surprise announcement has to be the quarry Hunslets. I don't really model 009, but I've got to have one of those. If they are as small as I remember they are, then they're going to be tiny. :)

Jason

So the H1 Atlantic isn’t new? It is quite distinct from the H2 in multiple details, not least the footplate wiggle. Furthermore, the H2 numbered 6 examples, the H1 only 5. Few smaller railways the size of the Brighton have had such a covering of their tender express power.

Gladstone would be nice. :)

Jason

• Like 1

Are there supposed to be pictures?

Going by the credit I assume so.

Bulleid coaches

The Southern Railway and then the Southern Region of British Railways normally ran their coaches in fixed formation sets. Our coaches are numbered correctly to reproduce 3 of these sets at different points during their working lives (except 34-775 which is a ‘loose’ coach). We are producing coaches that have both the early shallow window vents and the later deep window vents along with both variants of underframe equipment. The Late BR green coaches of Set 69 will also feature the additional strengthening rib along the bodyside which was a common feature of this design of coach later in their lives.

34-725 Bulleid Semi-Open Brake Third (10" Vents) in Southern Railway Malachite Green

New Tooling, 34-725/725A/750 will make set 790

34-725A Bulleid Semi-Open Brake Third (10" Vents) in Southern Railway Malachite Green

New Tooling, 34-725/725A/750 will make set 790

34-750 Bulleid Corridor Composite (10" Vents) in Southern Railway Malachite Green

Photo by Mike King / J.H. Abron

• RMweb Gold

Pleased to see retooled Bulleid coaches but disappointed that only 2 of the 11 models are in BR green, and these have a later repair of a strengthening rib included which will no doubt spoil the appearance somewhat. And we're only getting two brake coaches to form a 2-set, so no means of building a longer rake of coaches in BR green. Presumably future releases will bring out the 15" coaches in green. Hornby's Maunsell coaches have been far more popular in green than crimson and cream

• RMweb Premium

I can feel a change of scale coming on. Dabbled in N but with OO9 now becoming mainstream I can make good use of my very limited space without having to dispose of the sizeable and currently stored OO collection. Need a Gofundme page to help out ;)

Edited by Gwiwer
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Pleased to see retooled Bulleid coaches but disappointed that only 2 of the 11 models are in BR green, and these have a later repair of a strengthening rib included which will no doubt spoil the appearance somewhat. And we're only getting two brake coaches to form a 2-set, so no means of building a longer rake of coaches in BR green. Presumably future releases will bring out the 15" coaches in green. Hornby's Maunsell coaches have been far more popular in green than crimson and cream

Agree on all points but it does give my existing (worked over) green Bulleids a stay of execution and I won't have to find loadsamoney all in one go (I don't believe the Hatton's price for a moment given what the Thompsons and Birdcages cost).

The 2-set holds the limelight for me and the old c/c set on the starting blocks next to my workbench will now probably get sprayed green.

It's noticeable too that the 2-set is only listed in BR green, so much more to come in 2019 and onward.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Gold

Surprised there isnt more joy expressed for the new Bullied coaches. Likewise a better choice of late crest V2 than the previously announced double chimney variant. New class 25 is great news. Only disappointment for me is the absence of maroon Portholes and Thompsons but they'll come no doubt.