Bachmann announcements 2018 - full list

Andy Y

I'm genuinely curious why there's another GCR-liveried Director on the list.  "Mons" has literally just come out (December 2017), I'd imagine anyone who wants a GC-liveried Director either has one of those, or Butler Henderson.  I would have thought the J11 would have been a more likely candidate for pre-grouping colours; Bachmann even did a limited edition run of it a few years back. 

Perhaps 'Zeebrugge' would be most appropriate for this year?

http://www.naval-history.net/WW1Battle1804ZeebruggeOstend.htm

• Like 1

Couple of things to note from me;

1. J72 has been announced but is included. Looks a good model and certainly will be getting some. 
2. V2 is noted, but think that's almost a re-annoucement of the model. Should be nice and certainly needed. 
3. Bachmann still plugging away at the GC, when polls show NE and GE are twice as popular vote wise. Given GE have models made that leaves (you guessed it)... 
4. The Blue 25s are the only thing for the Blue and Grey period diesel loco.

5. Blue Pullman makes a return to the market, being offered with different front. Long Term plan to do them all and leave the popular 8 car set till last? 
5.a. DCC Blue Pullman set is interesting - but by god, how much??!!

6. Not many models being made for follow up releases makes me think that they want to get backlog cleared of previously announced models

7. Class 170 is a good move and done to high standards will be great. Has this been announced to stop anyone else looking at it, like the 158? Will it take as long to produce? (Looking over to Realtrack direction here)

8. Southern Coaches, nice for them. To be honest these have needed a retool to match other retooled Southern stock and engines. However, its yet more stuff for Southern region. 
9. General impression - bit of a non event... 

Edited by The Black Hat

Only disappointment for me is the absence of maroon Portholes and Thompsons but they'll come no doubt. 

Not a disappointment for me personally as I respray mine, but a slight bewilderment that Bachmann has not chosen the inexpensive route of doing the Portholes and Thompsons in BR maroon. Maybe they are waiting unitl they can snitch a tin of the maroon Hornby is now using on its LM Pacifics... :biggrin_mini2:

Wow, all the 2018 stuff looks incredibly cheap. :jester:

Kernow, are a great retailer. Not only do they package the models superbly, they offer a Loyality Point Scheme. £1 - 1 point. 500 points = £5 discount. 

Plus free postage on anything over £150. I would not buy from another retailer. :) I say this as a satisfied and very loyal (due to the points) customer.

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/c/766/Bachmann 

• Like 1

New 009 products are intriguing. Hunslet are a potential but buried in the list are a couple of Lynton and Barnstaple wagons. Have to wait a bit longer for more detail on those.

A mixed bag overall but look to be generally sensible moves for liveries and toolings that can be turned round reasonably quickly. Yes there are disappointments but it’s about pleasing most and not a select few.

Looking forward to a detailed trawl through the website in the next few days.

Seems to me that the longer trains exist the harder it will be to please everyone, the current trend of repainting trains every few years means a plethora of problems doing modern image, the edging back into pre-grouping albeit with long lived locomotives is another challenge and then there are the fans of big four, BR steam, transition and BR blue.

We're never all going to be happy, luckily there are lots of manufacturers so somewhere someone is generally making something we want.

Who knows what tomorrow will bring but I am happy with Dapol's pre Xmas announcement and a Bachmann Collett goods in GW green that is about to hit the shelves

Edited by woodenhead
  • Like 1

The H1 was a surprise.

Strange they are doing the Western Pullman as a DCC train set. I suspect most wanting the train, won,t want the set.

I wonder what running number the WD ROD will be.

Edited by JSpencer

• RMweb Gold

Pleased to see retooled Bulleid coaches but disappointed that only 2 of the 11 models are in BR green, and these have a later repair of a strengthening rib included which will no doubt spoil the appearance somewhat. And we're only getting two brake coaches to form a 2-set, so no means of building a longer rake of coaches in BR green. Presumably future releases will bring out the 15" coaches in green. Hornby's Maunsell coaches have been far more popular in green than crimson and cream

And I think that the BCK built for sets, as this one is, was a different diagram from that built to be used loose. So actually this vehicle will not serve the Winter ACE formation of multiple BCKs, one for each branchline. (I am in Torbay, my Mike King volume is home in France.)

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Kernow, are a great retailer. Not only do they package the models superbly, they offer a Loyality Point Scheme. £1 - 1 point. 500 points = £5 discount. 

Plus free postage on anything over £150. I would not buy from another retailer. :) I say this as a satisfied and very loyal (due to the points) customer.

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/c/766/Bachmann 

When I looked, all the newly announced stuff was priced at £0.01 :jester:

When I looked, all the newly announced stuff was priced at £0.01 :jester:

IMPORTANT NOTE RE PRICING

Bachmann have yet to set a price for this model.  Our system requires a price to allow the item to be visible and available for pre-orders.  Rather than invent a price we have set these products at 1p.  Once Bachmann have provided a price we will update this and our price should be around 15% off the RRP.   Nearer the release date we will contact everyone who has pre-ordered this item with the confirmed price.  You can cancel your pre-order without penalty at any time.

I personally feel, by offering no price estimate is better than Hattons solution to wildly guess. You shall be hard pushed to find a better deal than Kernow. For example, the new GWR class 158 776 is £220. That shall be free post,  and added to the other models pre-ordered from 2018 I shall expect the minimum of £10 in loyalty credit. 

• RMweb Gold

And I think that the BCK built for sets, as this one is, was a different diagram from that built to be used loose. So actually this vehicle will not serve the Winter ACE formation of multiple BCKs, one for each branchline. (I am in Torbay, my Mike King volume is home in France.)

Correct. The loose BCK (d.2405) has the toilet in the centre of the coach, between the first and third class whereas the one in the 2-set (d.2406) has it at the end.

The 2-sets appeared more commonly in the summer ACE when it ran as two or more trains.

John  

• RMweb Premium

Not a disappointment for me personally as I respray mine, but a slight bewilderment that Bachmann has not chosen the inexpensive route of doing the Portholes and Thompsons in BR maroon. Maybe they are waiting unitl they can snitch a tin of the maroon Hornby is now using on its LM Pacifics... :biggrin_mini2:

The maroon portholes were announced last year, and are supposedly due this coming July/August.

• RMweb Gold

I personally feel, by offering no price estimate is better than Hattons solution to wildly guess. You shall be hard pushed to find a better deal than Kernow. For example, the new GWR class 158 776 is £220. That shall be free post,  and added to the other models pre-ordered from 2018 I shall expect the minimum of £10 in loyalty credit. 

You don't have to convince me. I've been buying from Kernow for ages. I just saw the funny side of it, which evidently escaped you.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1

This seems a very small amount of announcements compared to previous years, may be due to backlog and also due to not announcing models until they are further along the production queue. I thought the statement about more announcements meant more information on the announcements made rather than more new announcements!

I am so bored of announcements already!

Mark

The thing is, even when Hattons underestimate their prices, they often honour them.

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport