Graham Farish 2018 - the full announcements

Andy Y

I'm glad that they are finally releasing an N gauge DMU in the 70s white/blue livery, but I wish they'd chosen the Class 101 instead of the 108. And how the hell is it that five years after they were first announced, the MK2F coaches are still only in the drawing office stage???

Was hoping for the 450 but wasn't expecting it after hearing about the sales of the 350. Will be pre-ordering one of those even though I don't have a layout yet! This is such good news for me - it has really reopened the possibility of me fulfilling the modern era layout that I've been dreaming about for so long ;-)

Next year I predict 377 or similar - they can't overlook the class for too long considering the ubiquity of them on main routes DC or AC.

All they appear to have done to the J72 is change the numbers in line with what they have announced for the OO one - looks like a cynical way of announcing it twice.

Certainly it has taken a year to progress from "working on in readiness for them progressing to the Drawing Office" to "working on in readiness for them progressing to the Drawing Office"

Maybe it will take as long as the full length of production of the prototype- over 50 years......

Les

As I predicted nothing else of interest to me. Even the 3-car Class 108 is the wrong colour....

• RMweb Premium

I am wondering if I should stock up on some spare Mk1's in blue and grey for future expansion as no fresh batches of any of them have been announced and I know prices start getting silly for these when stocks start to become scarce....

When I think about the models I still have on order from 2017 catalogue (47209, 47550, 37068, plus I will probably still order the RF Grey and/or Triple Grey 31 when they hit the shelves), plus those I intend to purchase if Dapol deliver the goods this year (2 or 3 50s, InterCity Exec 86), I can live with my Farish wishlist not being delivered in 2018. This is an expensive hobby and for my era (80s/early 90s) we have been pretty spoiled in the last few years.

The only loco I am surprised hasn't been announced for this year is a more standard Large Logo Blue 47/4, unnamed. 47535 is long sold out and was a bit of an oddity being flush fronted at both ends, so renumbering potential was very limited to just acouple of others. I am sure a more standard LLB version would go down well next year.

• Like 1

The above said, I am very pleased with the RTC 31 and the Railfreight Grey 47. I may even take a couple of the latter for renumbering and customising.

The grey/blue Pullman is also a very welcome release, but I will have to see the price before committing to that. I have a feeling it will be rather pricey.

Great to see the Mk2 air cons and 319 progressing. Lets hope we see some EP samples before the year is out.....or even in the shops for Christmas!!

About time Farish revamped the 158, I'll certainly be interested in a couple of those although shame they are not doing the original "Express" branding but shouldn't take too much to alter the regional railways livery.

• Like 1

Shame that the sound Castle set has Pullman coaches (but not surprising given the name). Bachmann really should have put this with some of their fantastic Hawksworths and called it the Riviera, Bristolian etc. 

It's a preserved one again, 5080 Defiant with overhead flashes again, so chances are the 2 coaches are supposed to be the SLOA Pullman set, there was on kitchen car in that set (335) but plenty of parlour 2nd's - of which only 352 has yet to be released. Could they complete the set with this (I hope so as this is the last one I need for the full rake - failing that its the grey roofed one coming out this year)

Is there any news on which (if any) decoder socket will be in this yet? Thought that would have been announced by now.

The catalogue says "Chassis includes space to hard-wire a DCC decoder".

N Gauge Works Report

ARTWORK STAGE

Our artwork department are currently working on the following items:

Birdcage Coaches (three types)

Class 170

I'm a little bit confused by the 170s being in the N Gauge Works Report section - surely a simple re-livery of the existing model wouldn't be listed here? Does this mean there is a chassis or lighting upgrade I've missed? Or am I just getting excited over a typo\error?

J

A fairly "lean" year for N scale things, but, that will allow Farish to catch up a bit.

No locos I would really like this year, but, I am sure there will be plenty of other takers for the one being offered.

The chocolate & cream MK1s and the maroon Hawksworths will be nice to have.

The grey/blue Pullman is also a very welcome release, but I will have to see the price before committing to that. I have a feeling it will be rather pricey.

I have a feeling that it will end up being discounted though as it is only suitable for one of the least popular periods (late 60's-early 70s) and it it's not exactly a nice looking livery.

Edited by bennyboy

I'm a little bit confused by the 170s being in the N Gauge Works Report section - surely a simple re-livery of the existing model wouldn't be listed here? Does this mean there is a chassis or lighting upgrade I've missed? Or am I just getting excited over a typo\error?

J

I guess it's only in the "works" in respect of the livery upgrade for the artwork to be done.

Roy

• RMweb Premium

A fairly "lean" year for N scale things, but, that will allow Farish to catch up a bit.

Compared to a few years ago*, the last few years have been lean, and each year consolidation or catching up has been mentioned. 

*when the number of releases and announcements were unsustainable. 

Further to the sound sets, it will be interesting to see what controller these are packaged with, especially as the ez controller will not allow access to all of the sound functions.

I was wondering about that. Mind you... The DCC western Pullman set in 00 is over £800!

• RMweb Premium

I was wondering about that. Mind you... The DCC western Pullman set in 00 is over £800!

The Castle one has an rrp of £375

Edited by Kris

• RMweb Premium

Interesting to note that both the Hornby and Bachmann OO scale announcement threads are roaring ahead with page numnbers in the late teens and early twenties, here meanwhile after almost two days we have barely filled the second page....

Interesting to note that both the Hornby and Bachmann OO scale announcement threads are roaring ahead with page numnbers in the late teens and early twenties, here meanwhile after almost two days we have barely filled the second page....

I would say that it is quality rather than quality. If the ratio of modellers is 4:1 and the number of new models is 2:1 then you have 16 times the number of posts moaning about the inequities of not producing the model you wanted. Coupled with the fact that people are fairly tolerant of GF (except for the Mk2Fs) compared to the time delays and errors by Dapol then less is more.

Edited by Bomag