Graham Farish 2018 - the full announcements

Andy Y

Like Bachmann OO stuff, Graham Farish seem to have a very healthy announcement.

- Great to see a Class 158 in N being done to modern standards.

- Good to see the N gauge Class 47 get a re-tool. However is it actually a "re-tool" or "revised" tooling to make another variant?

I've pre-ordered a couple of things, an RTC Class 31 and Virign Class 47.

The grey/blue Pullman is also a very welcome release, but I will have to see the price before committing to that. I have a feeling it will be rather pricey.

I have a feeling that it will end being discounted though as it is only suitable for one of the least popular periods (late 60's-early 70s) and it it's not exactly a nice looking livery.

I have seen a fair few modelers asking for this. Also banger-blue diesel hydraulics are quite popular which this release would fit in nicely with. It is certainly not as iconic (in my mind at least) as the original blue version but I suspect there will be a market for it.

Edited by Karhedron

• RMweb Premium

As the other thread on GF announcements was locked I'll repeat a couple of my comments here.

Interesting that D1779 is being released in the original green livery. I wonder if it will gain the Serck ventlators. The moulded panel with them is interchangeable on the bodies and the GFYP version had them. I'm nearly certain that D1779 may have been built with them although it is not absolutely clear from photographs. Most GSYP locos had them fitted fairly early in their lives anyway.

Also noticed on the 00 section that there is new tooling for the Class 25. It is illustrated with the revised body style 25 and the text notes Class 25/1 and Class 25/2. With the vagueries of Class 25 classification it's not entirely clear whether the new tooling covers both original and/or revised body styles. However, the fact that the illustration is the latter may give some encouragement that an N version could appear after the 4mm work.

David

The J72 seems as far away as ever. I pre-ordered one from Hattons and cancelled some months later when it became obvious that there was little chance of seeing one anytime soon. I'm afraid the Dapol cancellation of 'their' J72 has put the Farish one onto their back burner.

I've just had a bit of a search and the J72 seems to have been announced for 2015/16. I'm beginning to doubt it will be on general sale before 2020!

Edited by GeoffAlan

Am happy with the western region Grey/Blue Pullman set and have put my name down for 1, however putting the bagpipes on the front opens up the ‘re-tooling’ for other versions of Plain ( if this model can ever be called that) blue with pipes, and blue with full front yellow warning panel (not dipped, more like a loco).

So there’s a bit of mileage in doing this ‘re-tool’ and I look forward to getting other sets should they do them as well in the future.

Good point Dave. However seeing as the original version with yellow ends was a poor seller, maybe they do not want to produce another one so soon. Personally I think that the one below would sell better than the custard-dip version but then what do I know? ;)

ivo_peters_blue_pullman_2-5-68.jpg

• Like 2

Good point Dave. However seeing as the original version with yellow ends was a poor seller, maybe they do not want to produce another one so soon. Personally I think that the one below would sell better than the custard-dip version but then what do I know? ;)

ivo_peters_blue_pullman_2-5-68.jpg

The livery you've pictured there is (to my mind) much more attractive than the custard dip version that was offered. I like the grey/blue livery too and I'll be buying one to go with my original livery Midland Pullman.

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

I think this is a pretty reasonable plan.

There are certainly models I am interested in - the Sound fitted 47 in Colas, the TPE350 - but not so many that I feel daunted.

Also, their decision to revisit the chassis of existing models (31 and 47) and completely retooling older but important models (158) opens up the possibility that may do the same for the Peaks (new chassis with sound would be great) and Turbostars (model with working lights, interiors, sound chassis and better couplers.)

So all in all I'd say a balanced, realistic and encouraging set of announcements.

Cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Premium

Very little has been said about this year's Scenecraft announcements, but at least you'll be able to model Sheffield Park station.

They're based on the OO versions representing Bluebell's practice (NB 42-087 Bluebell waiting room has previously been made available)

• RMweb Premium

"371-825C Class 47/0 No. D1779 BR Green "

would this loco be GSYP or GFYP ?

Phill,

See also my post #56. I was assuming that it is GSYP as the previous GFYP release was 1764 without the D prefix but that may just be me committing what my wife describes as 'assumicide'!

David

Absolutely nothing at all to interest me for another whole year! The class 31's were only re-tooled 3 years ago so why the need to do them again so soon when the class 25/3 hasn't been re-tooled for 30 years? And if they are re-tooling the class 31's why aren't they doing a disc headcode (skinhead) version? I was also hoping for a disc headcode class 40 in BR blue but no sign of that either or a class 24/1, so easy to produce as only the front ends need some altering, a new DMU would have been nice too, it's 10 years since they produced the class 108 Derby & 7 years since they re-tooled the class 101 Metro-Cammell's, how about a class 105 Craven's? No point in e-mailing Bachmann as they wont answer questions on new product suggestions so we wait & wait & wait until we die! :-/

They are having to re-tool the class 31 for the 'refurbished version' (previously announced) so the 'new' ones are being done in conjunction with those so that they are all sound equipped. Plus I believe they have sold out of the blue and green 31s so that is why they are doing another batch (in three new liveries) of the recently retooled ones - it makes sense.

I guess that when they sell out of the current blue and disc class 40s and they need to do another batch they'll consider a blue disc one then.

They are doing an new DMU - the class 158 will be an all newly retooled (both body and chassis) model using research/design from the OO version - it's something many have requested in recent years. And there are three new liveries due on the class 108.

G.

Phill,

See also my post #56. I was assuming that it is GSYP as the previous GFYP release was 1764 without the D prefix but that may just be me committing what my wife describes as 'assumicide'!

David

Thank you David for clearing that up for me :)  ...being quite new to N gauge it would appear the no class 47 is currently available in the new improved version with full yellow ends & headcodes ?

47018 in Railfreight livery is of interest to me as it was a Haymarket loco, and being re-painted at the back end of 1986 just about fits into my 1980-86 modelling period! Great that it will be sound-ready too.

I do have a bit of a dilemma as I re-numbered one of my many blue examples to 47018, so can't really have a doppelganger running about on the layout at the same time :nono:  (might make the controller explode! :O ). I think that may be re-numbered to 017 which survived in blue quite some time.

The "Dutch" livery ZKVs may be of interest, although probably need some holes cut in the side to be prototypical PW wagons (this was to prevent overloading of spoil).

Of course - dependent on sales - re-liveries may well be on the cards, as Bachmann don't tend to set everything in stone for the entire year ahead. A blue livery disc-headcode 40 might well be on the cards, or perhaps a green split-headcode model at some point I reckon, as the model seems very popular.

A bit disappointing that a later bodywork 25 is still not on the cards. Maybe they are waiting to re-tool the chassis for sound too in the long-run?

Cheers

Paul

Edited by MR PJ

47018 in Railfreight livery is of interest to me as it was a Haymarket loco, and being re-painted at the back end of 1986 just about fits into my 1980-86 modelling period! Great that it will be sound-ready too.

I do have a bit of a dilemma as I re-numbered one of my many blue examples to 47018, so can't really have a doppelganger running about on the layout at the same time :nono:  (might make the controller explode! :O ). I think that may be re-numbered to 017 which survived in blue quite some time.

The "Dutch" livery ZKVs may be of interest, although probably need some holes cut in the side to be prototypical PW wagons (this was to prevent overloading of spoil).

Of course - dependent on sales - re-liveries may well be on the cards, as Bachmann don't tend to set everything in stone for the entire year ahead. A blue livery disc-headcode 40 might well be on the cards, or perhaps a green split-headcode model at some point I reckon, as the model seems very popular.

A bit disappointing that a later bodywork 25 is still not on the cards. Maybe they are waiting to re-tool the chassis for sound too in the long-run?

Cheers

Paul

Before you go renumbering your fleet Mr PJ, I stand to be corrected, but wasn't 47018 a Haymarket loco before entering works, whereupon after gaining Railfreight livery and emerging it went to Eastfield. Carried ploughs for a while as well I believe.

Regards

Scott

• RMweb Premium

Before I start pestering Bachmann, does anyone know what changes to the body & chassis will be done to the sound ready class 31?

I've already got one of the newer class 31s in blue and don't really need another. A body swap with the RTC liveried one is tempting though (ie. use the sound ready chassis from the RTC model under the existing blue body shell). Obviously this won't work if there have been big changes to the chassis and body.

Steven B.

Edited by Steven B

• RMweb Gold

Bachmann are probably the only people who can give a definitive answer on that, but if it follows the same arrangement as the 40, the speaker is mounted in a cradle in the roof of the model which forms part of the body moulding, which may mean some modification of the current 31 body is necessary to make it fit if the revised chassis is also heavily modified. 

Tom. 

Before you go renumbering your fleet Mr PJ, I stand to be corrected, but wasn't 47018 a Haymarket loco before entering works, whereupon after gaining Railfreight livery and emerging it went to Eastfield. Carried ploughs for a while as well I believe.

Regards

Scott

Yes, you may be right, it was transferred to ED in November 1986. I am not sure of its overhaul date, but may well have been allocated straight away to Eastfield, one way or another it would have appeared on the Highland Mainline anyway. There are photos of it with ploughs, so it certainly did retain the brackets, not that there would have been any reason to remove them on overhaul

Cheers

Paul

Already looking forward to the 2019 annoucement and assuming Farish keep an eye on this thread I will keep my fingers crossed for:

1. A high density blue / grey suburban DMU...shrinking the class 117 being the obvious choice

2. A blue grey 2EPB EMU

3. One of the early class 31s without the roof mounted headcode box

4. Updated class 45 peak with DCC chassis.

Oh and wouldn't a class 85 and a retooled 87 (both in blue) be lovely?

In the meantime I will look forward to the MK 2f coaches, the Deltic with white window surrounds, and the Western Pullman.

Mark

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

regarding the Pullman, did they run in multiple? I've searched in Flickr and Auntie Google and not found any photos.

Yes, the Bristol Pullman was regularly a 12-car set up until 1971. There are photos in the books but I have not seen them online.

Edited by Karhedron