Graham Farish 2018 Announcements

Adam1701D

In some ways it feels disappointing, especially on the steam front for Farish. But actually it is very positive, it is hardly a secret they want to keep things secret until they are closer to the point of sale and that they are already working things for 3 maybe even 4 years in the future. I hope they use this time to catch up and get ahead of the game.

Also, a new retooled 00 V2, could that mean a new one in N in the next 3/4 years? fingers crossed on that! Though I feel scaling down that R.O.D. could be too much to hope for!

Retooling the Class 158 with a new chassis is a bonus for me. Just before Christmas I found half a dozen of my old etches for the SNCF Z2 emu which was designed around the old Poole class 158 back in 1993. The Z2 powered car has lookalike 158 bogies. With the new chassis I can build the half dozen to represent variations of the Z2 with a 21st century mechanism. Yippee. Probably plenty of time to get the bodies built though. :-)

I hope we get a list of new liveries, wagons and coaches etc as well. Not surprised by the limited releases in N, and the new 158 was pretty much what I expected. This will lead into new 170s given the new OO ones which will be good. The western Pullman is an interesting modified tooling too. Particularly interesting that these are stated as 2018 releases, meaning they are presumably actually coming this year, and not in 12-24 months as Bachmann always used to say.

David

• RMweb Premium

158s good, 450 is cool, interested to see the pricing given the 00 one is rather pricey, and we’ve become conditioned to 350s being very cheap. I can’t see a £300 450 being popular.

Also intrigued they’re saying it’s a new tooling, surely it’s just a new livery and the removal of the pantograph.

Edited by njee20

158s good, 450 is cool, interested to see the pricing given the 00 one is rather pricey, and we’ve become conditioned to 350s being very cheap. I can’t see a £300 450 being popular.

Also intrigued they’re saying it’s a new tooling, surely it’s just a new livery and the removal of the pantograph.

The 350s weren't cheap at Retail price for the time, about £165 if memory serves. The only reason they became cheaper to buy was because they wouldn't sell at anything close to the RRP leading to the heavily discounted prices seen. However that is not good for the hobby and it would only be good for the consumer in the short term if the 450 met the same fate. Much better find models like the 40 that sell through quickly at a good margin.

Roy

Edited by Roy L S

• RMweb Premium

Whilst I am unlikely to purchase any of the items listed, I am very pleased to see that there appears to be some movement towards redesigning existing locos to enable easier fitting of sound. I wonder if the replacement tender tooling for the n class will be available for purchase, to allow for retrofitting existing models?

Very disappointed personally. It seems like a complete snub for the Steam/Diesel transition modeller which is still as far as I was aware by some way the biggest single Market for products in N (for just one example just look at how quickly NGS special edition transition liveries sell out). Ok, we still have J72, C Class and 8F somewhere on the radar from last year, but that's hardly reason or justification in itself.

Pleasing to see the 31 get a Next 18 sound ready chassis and if this upgraded chassis is seen under new green and blue 31 releases as well as the refurbed ones it would be something, but why the N Class for a Next 18 upgrade and why only in SR livery? Why not a Fowler 4F (Fowler tender) given the same treatment opening up reuse for the 8F and a future Crab for starters??

I don't think this is anything like the full list of new liveries etc - just a press release covering the highlights of the new tooling. Why the N class was the only steam loco to get chassis mods for sound does seem like a bit of a puzzle, perhaps something to do with configuration of space in the existing moulds perhaps, but I'd be VERY surprised if Southern green with smoke deflectors was the only release. It looks like its just highlighted because that combination wasn't included in the initial batches. 

Likewise I'd be pretty sure that the new class 31 chassis will be released with the different variants of the green livery. I guess we have to wait for the full new product list with all of the re-liveries etc. 

At the risk of getting controversial, transition era modellers have done phenomenally well in the past few years, and as you've said yourself there are several models for that era already in the works. 

Aside from the 158, which is a long overdue upgrade, and obviously tied to the same project in OO, all of the modern era locos on the press release are just tweaks and adaptations of the existing models. Looking to the OO announcements, it certainly looks like a reasonable pipeline of transition era things for the shrink ray!

Do we think the press release there is specifically about locomotives, or are there no new toolings for any kind of rolling stock in either scale? 

J

EDIT - Just seen Andy Y's thread with full listings here http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/129823-graham-farish-2018-the-full-announcements/

Might be worth merging threads to avoid confusion?

Edited by justin1985

• RMweb Premium

The pantograph car might actually be properly retooled so there are no vacant fixing holes etc.

If they call it a new tooling on the strength of filling ten 0.5mm holes in the pantograph well I’d say that’s verging on false advertising... I wondered if they’ve sorted electrical connectivity between coaches, which would eradicate the need for 3 decoders. But then the TPE 350 is a new livery, not new tooling. 

The 350s weren't cheap at Retail price for the time, about £165 if memory serves. The only reason they became cheaper to buy was because they wouldn't sell at anything close to the RRP leading to the heavily discounted prices seen. However that is not good for the hobby and it would only be good for the consumer in the short term if the 450 met the same fate. Much better find models like the 40 that sell through quickly at a good margin.

Yes, I know. Hence saying We were ‘conditioned’ to low prices, not that prices have risen since they released it. Thank you for the patronising lesson though, and a gold star for getting in a ‘my era’s better than your’s and they should done more diesel transition models because they’re amazing’ comment ;)

Edited by njee20

From the initial brief look and headlines, it seems a sensible and positive new range announcement given the tricky trading period we are in and the difficult market conditions, particularly for N gauge. And the nod to the more modern market is welcome now that the steam era is slowly disappearing over the horizon and from memory, especially with the need to attract new (and younger) enthusiasts - although transition era modellers are not forgotten in the details.

G.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Still no 25/3. Ah well . . .

Interesting that D1779 is being released in the original green livery. I wonder if it will gain the Serck ventlators. The moulded panel with them is interchangeable on the bodies and the GFYP version had them. I'm nearly certain that D1779 may have been built with them although it is not absolutely clear from photographs. Most GSYP locos had them fitted fairly early in their lives anyway.

Edit: Just noticed on the 00 section that there is new tooling for the Class 25. It is illustrated with the revised body style 25 and the text notes Class 25/1 and Class 25/2. With the vagueries of Class 25 classification it's not entirely clear whether the new tooling covers both original and/or revised body styles. However, the fact that the illustration is the latter may give some encouragement that an N version could appear after the 4mm work.

David

Edited by DavidLong

• RMweb Premium

I think the most interesting item in this year's N garage announcements is the fitting of speakers into revised chassis models.

Over time that is really going to help N gauge.

An N garage?! Is that anything like the '00 garages' that I see in advertisements? You know, the ones that EM and P4 modellers can't use  :sungum:

David

Yes, I know. Hence saying We were ‘conditioned’ to low prices, not that prices have risen since they released it. Thank you for the patronising lesson though, and a gold star for getting in a ‘my era’s better than your’s and they should done more diesel transition models because they’re amazing’ comment ;)

No, not patronising, factual. Your response above is totally uncalled for.

Roy

No, not patronising, factual. Your response above is totally uncalled for.

Roy

If you think that the response was 'totally uncalled for' then you need to be be more aware of your use of English since your original post was a shining beacon for taking the mickey out of.

• Like 1