Bachmann H1 Class Atlantic

Edwardian

I am grateful to No Decorum of this parish for pointing out this recent announcement (made here:http://news.Bachmann.co.uk/):

NEW TOOLING – H1 Class Atlantic

Five H1 Class locomotives were built for the London, Brighton and South Coast Railway by Kitson & Co. between December 1905 and February 1906 to the design of D.E.Marsh. The first was withdrawn in January 1944 and the last in July 1951.

New Tooling has been created specific to the H1 Class. Differences from the H2 Class currently in production include the curved running plate, early cab and boiler fittings.

• Hinged tender fall-plate.
  • Adjustable tender draw-bar length.
  • Opening fire-box door.
  • Fully detailed and decorated cab interior.
  • Accessory pack includes route indicator discs.
  • Representation of the inside valve gear.

We always knew there was a possibility that the H2 might, one day, be released in umber.  Not only have Bachmann tooled for the unrebuilt condition, for which there will be a Southern-livered version, but Bachmann long ago showed an EP of the H2 in unrebuilt form but featuring bogie brakes, representing the 'as-built' condition.

Few of us, I suspect, expected that there would be a new tool representing a different class, the H1.

As Bachmann points out, the H1 was built 1905-6, whereas the H2s were built from 1911, so it expands the pre-Grouping years covered quite nicely.

Bachmann have evidently chosen No. 39, which dated from January 1906.  The RCTS volume states "No. 39 was always considered a 'good' engine and came to be reserved for royal and other important specials, and it was in this capacity that it conveyed King George V to Portsmouth for the Coronation Naval Review on 24th June 1911".

Bachmann's chosen version depicts No. 39 somewhat later than this, for the name La France was added in 1913 for a special run conveying the French President, Raymond Poincaré.

Bogie brakes were discarded 1914-1916.

Bachmann correctly depict the short cab roof, with which Nos. 37-39 entered service, and which were not lengthened until Grouping. The other two H1s entered service with longer roofs.

Bravo Bachmann!

I heartily look forward to this one. 

post-25673-0-68922000-1515329374.jpg

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 18

• RMweb Gold

I'll wait for the BR malachite version.

I'm pretty sure I've seen 32038 Portland Bill in malachite with British Railways on the tender and smoke box numberplate.

Jason

Quite possible, it was one of the pair that remained intact into BR days. 

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

Yes, it's l think an excellent choice, and it expands the pre-grouping series back to 1905-6.  A bit of judicious T-cutting is called for on the name and perhaps the number too.....

The GNR C1 Atlantic is another fine choice.  It might just be a bit difficult to get them running on the same track................still that's what scene blockers are for...........

• Like 4

I'll wait for the BR malachite version.

I'm pretty sure I've seen 32038 Portland Bill in malachite with British Railways on the tender and smoke box numberplate.

Jason

This would seem entirely possible.  The only H1 to wear malachite, from September 1947, she wore it until withdrawal in July 1951.

Yes, it's l think an excellent choice, and it expands the pre-grouping series back to 1905-6.  A bit of judicious T-cutting is called for on the name and perhaps the number too.....

The GNR C1 Atlantic is another fine choice.  It might just be a bit difficult to get them running on the same track................still that's what scene blockers are for...........

I'd love Bachmann to do something similar, and introduce the GN Small Atlantics.  It's good to see the Large Atlantic in the main catalogue, though I think Locomotion may still have some in GN livery if you're tempted!

I'd love Bachmann to do something similar, and introduce the GN Small Atlantics.

Yes indeed. I have probably bleated too much about that filling a gap. It would be agreeable if Bachmann were to find a way of straightening the kink in the con rods. It is done, I think, to clear the side steps. If the bends were to be made at the ends, they might be less obtrusive but perhaps that wouldn’t allow enough clearance.

A fine looking model, always good to see a bit of RTR pre-grouping. Doesn't quite fit my Caledonian layout but that won't stop me buying one!

A few photographs online show H1s with 'LB&SCR' on the tender and cast numberplates, was this an earlier version of the livery?

New Tooling has been created specific to the H1 Class. Differences from the H2 Class currently in production include the curved running plate, early cab and boiler fittings.

But not for the cylinders, which seem to be the same as on the H2. On the H1 they seem smaller, with the top slidebar tucked inside the angle of the valence and running plate, which is quite a distinctive feature. I guess that would be impossible to model in anything other than sheet metal, so they've had to compromise. 

Reading http://www.semgonline.com/steam/h1-h2_01.html only no. 39 was named by the LB&SCR. It was named 'La France' as per the model. The SR renamed 'La France' to 'Hartland Point' and named the other H1 locos when modified.

A fine looking model, always good to see a bit of RTR pre-grouping. Doesn't quite fit my Caledonian layout but that won't stop me buying one!

A few photographs online show H1s with 'LB&SCR' on the tender and cast numberplates, was this an earlier version of the livery?

I suspect that when built, 1905-6, the H1s would have had "LB&SC" on the tender (I have seen this on H2s as well (1911). But see the OP, No. 39 was only named La France in 1913.  It was the Southern that named the H1s and H2s after places, they did so from 1925.

In the RCTS vol. there is a picture of 37 on test in 1905 (in grey, presumably) with a cast cabside number plate, and one of 41 in Southern green, cut down to composite loading gauge, but with a cast cabside plate still.

Wiki has a picture of No.38 taken from Howden's Boy's Book of Locomotives, which dates from 1907. Note the 'as built' bogie brakes.  It shows cast plate and the ampersand.

The Bachmann model lacks the bogie brakes, which were removed in the 1914-16 period, according the RCTS, and No.39 was painted Southern green in January 1926, so I would assume that Bachmann's model represents No.39 in the 1914/16 to 1925 period, so good for Groupers too!

post-25673-0-30114700-1515341121_thumb.jpg

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Looking at my three photos of No39 I have just realised Bachmann have gone for the more complicated printing as the other two variants are Gold, Umber and Black only wheras the La France has a multi-coloured device on the front splasher although not a numberplate on this version. What would be cheaper, a couple of colours tampoed on or one etched brass plate?

I love the fact it is even being produced though!

What about a nice Stroudley D1 next with some 4 wheelers or Billinton 6 wheelers or even 48' carriages or early Pullmans??

• Like 4

Not for me , but a simply beautiful Locomotive , more please Bachmann !!

Not for me either, but it's going to be like Ulysses resisting the Sirens trying to avoid getting one of these. It's going to require some restraint that's for sure!

• Like 1

attachicon.gifH1 39 with numberplate and LB&SCR.jpgattachicon.gifH1 39 as Royal engine.jpgattachicon.gifH1 39 as La France.jpgI have these 3 photos of H1 No 39 all showing variations on the LB&SCR livery. A beautiful choice from Bachmann, Brilliant!

Ian, our posts crossed.  That is a really useful comparison.  There are 3 different splasher decorations: (1) As built 1906, with twin monograms; (2) Royal Train engine, 1911, with more modern monograms, and (3) Livery as applied mid 1913, as La France with a crest on the lead splasher.

Edited by Edwardian