Bachmann H1 Class Atlantic

Edwardian

So, can anyone tell me what dates for,a) B421 being renumbered 2421, b) when it was named, and c) lowering of cab and boiler fittings to "composite" loading gauge?

Cheers

Richard

Richard,

Not sure why this is in the H1 thread, as 421 was an H2, but:

To Maunsell green -  September 1924

Named South Foreland  - February 1926

Inset footsteps (to allow Eastern Section running) - April-June 1929

Superheated- February 1937

To composite loading gauge - February 1937

As 2421, to unlined dark green - June 1940 

To malachite green - August 1947

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I really should pre-order one of these at some stage: it is a thing of beauty, and quite frankly that has won me over. I hadn't intended getting a H1 or H2, though I planned to build both eventually, but the H1 pictured in this thread is just truely wonderful. Better than anything I could bodge together, that's for sure!

• Like 2

i'd say Hornbys railroad compound was the competitor.

The 2p is a different loco.

my thoughts are:

i. the Compound was the first to break the ceiling in todays high price climate, it had an rrp of £132 back in 2012, at a time when the Hornby O1 was just announced at £120...

ii. its a retooled loco and being a little less exciting than Truro, the GC Director etc, it didn't "wow"..

iii. being a smaller loco, and being more expensive than bigger ones, So it sat there for too long and ended in the bargain bins.

Once the bargain hunters had there fill... there was leftovers, and theres still too many now.

thing is i predict some day this could become sought after, as its unlikely more will be repeated for a long time.

But its a good source for replacement kit built 4-4-0 chassis's from the 70's.. easy to remove the cylinders and valve gear, its also useful for fowler tenders for other projects...i just used 3 for factory finished crabs with 41157's late crest/rivetless tender being useful for a 42700 model, and another swapped with 42969. I'm also going to use a 40934 tender for a Jubilee which will have an upgraded chassis and tender now.

Any idea whether it might be possible to fit a 'Compound' chassis under a Hornby 'Schools' body  ?....... to replace the crumbling lump of zinc-pest infected mazac that came with my 'as new' second hand "Cheltenham" !

.... forget that idea - wrong wheel size an' spacing !

Edited by Wickham Green

• RMweb Gold

Any idea whether it might be possible to fit a 'Compound' chassis under a Hornby 'Schools' body  ?....... to replace the crumbling lump of zinc-pest infected mazac that came with my 'as new' second hand "Cheltenham" !

.... forget that idea - wrong wheel size an' spacing !

IIRC, the chassis under the Railroad Compound and Railroad Schools should be the same but for the cylinders and motion.

No idea which is wrong(est) though............

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Premium

I do wonder, once the excitement has calmed down, that Bachmann might be persuaded to make a LBSC class K mogul.

Now, that's a thought....

What a great idea,  I really hope they give this some consideration.  As well as being useful long lived locos, The K's were in my humble opinion one of the best looking british 2-6-0s of all.

Guest spet0114

IIRC, the chassis under the Railroad Compound and Railroad Schools should be the same but for the cylinders and motion.

From memory, both were adjusted to fit the D49 chassis.

Is that a loco-drive chassis ? ..... or the old tender-push-along thing - which is rather different from the current Schools type !

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Is that a loco-drive chassis ? ..... or the old tender-push-along thing - which is rather different from the current Schools type !

It's basically the old one but now with a motor in the loco. I've not had one to bits but presumably the chassis block is a new casting to accommodate it.

John

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Bachmann are at the Bluebell Railway's Model Railway Weekend - with a picture of 'La France' plastered across the relevant B.R. web page ................ so maybe it's time to stir this thread from its slumbers ??!?

and very nice it looks too

https://www.bluebell-railway.com/whats_on/model-railway-weekend/

Cheers,

Keith

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

For  Info  ARCADIA  MODELS  has  stock  of  'Beachy Head'  32424   same price  as  the  box  shifters  tel  01706882900  for  fast  usually  same  day   despatch ( as  long  as  too ,amy don't phone  at  the  same  time!!)

Edited by Stevelewis

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Andy Y has posted an explanation of Bachmann's problems with force majeure in China. But this news is tempered with the news that H1 class locos are now en route. As far as I can see, this is 39 'La France' in lined umber. While delicious in its own right, Bradley notes that the LBSCR umber on this loco and a couple of H2s was sufficiently robust that they were not repainted into olive until 1926/7. That would mean 39 could legitimately be seen with a rake of olive Maunsells, as long as they were low-window. Hornby sets 469 and 470 come to mind, both having been in service by February 1927.

• Like 2

Andy Y has posted an explanation of Bachmann's problems with force majeure in China. But this news is tempered with the news that H1 class locos are now en route. As far as I can see, this is 39 'La France' in lined umber. While delicious in its own right, Bradley notes that the LBSCR umber on this loco and a couple of H2s was sufficiently robust that they were not repainted into olive until 1926/7. That would mean 39 could legitimately be seen with a rake of olive Maunsells, as long as they were low-window. Hornby sets 469 and 470 come to mind, both having been in service by February 1927.

Very informative. Could they be seen on any of the Hornby Pullman sets?

• RMweb Gold

Very informative. Could they be seen on any of the Hornby Pullman sets?

Pullman ran the catering services for the LBSCR, so a Southern Belle with Pullmans would be fine, but I don't think the Hornby Pullmans are the right version, and you'd need a Pullman Pup van - not yet modelled in RTR - to make a realistic formation. Nevertheless, sticking a Pullman into a Maunsell set would look fairly authentic. 

Edit : Gould's Maunsell book (Oakwood) has a pic on P48 of the 5.40 p.m. SO Vic to Angmering entering Haywards Heath in July 1930, with an Atlantic (actually an H2 but so what) on 8-Set 469, including two pullmans. 

Edited by Oldddudders

Pullman ran the catering services for the LBSCR, so a Southern Belle with Pullmans would be fine, but I don't think the Hornby Pullmans are the right version, and you'd need a Pullman Pup van - not yet modelled in RTR - to make a realistic formation. Nevertheless, sticking a Pullman into a Maunsell set would look fairly authentic. 

Edit : Gould's Maunsell book (Oakwood) has a pic on P48 of the 5.40 p.m. SO Vic to Angmering entering Haywards Heath in July 1930, with an Atlantic (actually an H2 but so what) on 8-Set 469, including two pullmans.

The Pullman Pups were really confined to the earlier clerestory-roofed Pullmans. There were only two of them anyway, so when the services increased they would have been hard pushed to be on every train, and they seemed to have disappeared by around 1915. There are plenty of photos of the non-clerestory-roofed Pullmans and none show a Pup, so the use of Hornby matchboarded stock, in a suitable livery, would be a pretty good match. From around 1922 eight-wheeled Pullmans pushed out the older twelve-wheelers on Southern Belle duties, and these were a motley crew, some new build, dating from 1925, and some extensively modified ex-ambulance train stock, mostly, I think, ex-LNWR. Although they may not have exact matches in the Hornby range, the wide variety of these cars would require an expert to say yay or nay.

The Pullman Pups were really confined to the earlier clerestory-roofed Pullmans. There were only two of them anyway, so when the services increased they would have been hard pushed to be on every train, and they seemed to have disappeared by around 1915. There are plenty of photos of the non-clerestory-roofed Pullmans and none show a Pup, so the use of Hornby matchboarded stock, in a suitable livery, would be a pretty good match. From around 1922 eight-wheeled Pullmans pushed out the older twelve-wheelers on Southern Belle duties, and these were a motley crew, some new build, dating from 1925, and some extensively modified ex-ambulance train stock, mostly, I think, ex-LNWR. Although they may not have exact matches in the Hornby range, the wide variety of these cars would require an expert to say yay or nay.

The two Devon Belle Observation Cars started out as rebuilds of LNWR Ambulance Cars - so maybe - just maybe Hornby will back-date the body some time ??!?

Here are 4 fantasy ideas I could do:

Alternative 1: I have some French VSOE coaches in HO early century so I may pretend that during the state visit, the French president brought over his own train (which is air braked)

Alternative 2: My 80s Maunsell stock (well all my modern Maunsells are BR livery) with a couple of modern pullmans dating prewar

Alternative 3: Another French state visit happened in 1950. The new French president said he would love to have the same loco from 3 decades ago. Hartland point gets converted back and part of that conversion uses old dome, chimney etc. His visit is entirely Pullmans on the former LBSCR

Alternative 4: Bachmann now have LBSCR coaches planned, we'll see them before 2025....

Edited by JSpencer