Height Restricted Class 08 Shunters

Pete Harvey

Happy New Year all.

Over the Christmas period i finished something I have been working for a while.

I have designed it to fit on the Hornby class 08 frame there is a mode for the Hornby frame which will involve removing the cast wings either side of the 8 pin socket.

post-6665-0-05368600-1515349396_thumb.jpg post-6665-0-54140500-1515349402_thumb.jpg

As with the Hornby 08 I have modeled the cab so it slides over the cab end of the body to fit

post-6665-0-16459400-1515349397_thumb.jpg post-6665-0-17799200-1515349398_thumb.jpg

post-6665-0-39196400-1515349399_thumb.jpg post-6665-0-30901300-1515349401_thumb.jpg

post-6665-0-35918500-1515349404_thumb.jpg post-6665-0-63381800-1515352199_thumb.jpg

With the body and cab I will be supplying etched etched front grill, steps and name plates with body side grills, so that the four shunter's 08992-5 cam be modeled.

The body and cab have been designed so DCC lighting and sound can be fitted.

I will post pictures of the body once I get one and show it fitted.

Edited by Pete Harvey
  • Like 9

Interesting project. I wish you success and although only found in deepest South Wales initially, they did get to spread their wings in later EWS days. For anyone who didn't realise just how much cutting down had to be done on the prototype,which includes me, have a look at Paul Bettanys photo on Flickr in the link.   https://flic.kr/p/7vvJpd

Paul J.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

uhhhh.... correct me if I'm wrong but I read Mark's comment as 'it is so finely detailed it gives the Hornby body a run for its money and if you did a full height version as well I think it would make a good replacement'?

uhhhh.... correct me if I'm wrong but I read Mark's comment as 'it is so finely detailed it gives the Hornby body a run for its money and if you did a full height version as well I think it would make a good replacement'?

Corbs

Thank you for you input and view, if that is what Mark meant why wasn't that said or something that everyone can understand, I'm not out to re invent the wheel here and I'm not going to do something that's already on the market as RTR there is no point in that.  

How about a nice LMS class 11 DE, 12033-12138 body to the same high standard, to fit on a chassis. Now I would be interested in a couple of them!

Paul J.

Hi Paul

I think I have drawing for that some where I will contact you when i have had a chance to look for them.

• RMweb Premium

How about a nice LMS class 11 DE, 12033-12138 body to the same high standard, to fit on a chassis. Now I would be interested in a couple of them!

Paul J.

Hi Paul

The LMS 350 has quite a few visual differences owing to its smaller diameter wheels. these include a lower running plate, and buffers are noticeably higher on the buffer beam.

The SR Class 12 would be a viable model to go on the 08 chassis.  

• Like 1

Hi Paul

The LMS 350 has quite a few visual differences owing to its smaller diameter wheels. these include a lower running plate, and buffers are noticeably higher on the buffer beam.

The SR Class 12 would be a viable model to go on the 08 chassis.  

Equally as tempting. With regards to the LMS one differences, I have the bits to convert a chassis, its always been the body that was the stumbling block.

Paul J.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Russ but that has not been said.

Hi pete

Think its a case of reading between the lines.

I've known Mark for years and he is not the kind of lad to take the P and certainly would not mean you any offense

Russ

• RMweb Gold

And I getting clever with words was merely trying to diffuse a situation that was getting out of hand.

I was looking forward to you doing an 11 but I'd never buy anything off you now!

• RMweb Gold

And I getting clever with words was merely trying to diffuse a situation that was getting out of hand.

I was looking forward to you doing an 11 but I'd never buy anything off you now!

Russ, I don't think Pete was referring to you when he mentioned getting clever with words, mate.

This is all a bit of a silly misunderstanding.

Mark's post was a positive one but perhaps slightly ambiguous.

Pete misunderstood Mark's post and was cross about the ambiguity.

Can we all shake hands and can someone put the kettle on please?

Ok Russ

This why people get P***d off with forums and social media we shouldn't be a case of  "reading between the lines".

In the future don't try and be clever with words just say something so everyone can understand.

Peter I suggest you re-read the original post, my understanding was in the reference to "as built version" which I guess neither Bachmann or Hornby have actually modelled - and no I don't want to get into a slanging match with you either.......

Martin.