Bachmann Turbostars (Class 168, 170 & 171) - Retooled

joejab95

See: http://news.Bachmann.co.uk/2018/01/branchline-2018-new-releases/ 

Sadly just at NSE one, but I am sure the SWT liveries shall be forthcoming in future years.

RRP is £309.95, but with 15% off and free postage, £263.99: http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/59412/31-520-Bachmann-Class-159-3-Car-DMU-159013-BR-Network-SouthEast 

Thinking about, I think you're all on to something. The class 159 is still in service with SWT (south western railway), so makes sense for Bachmann to produce it

So how long are we going to have to wait to see some actual models, afterall we're still waiting to see even an EP of the retooled 158.

Don't mean to put everyone on a downer but just pointing out the elephant in the room.

Hopefully by the time I retire, so about 15 years! 

Certainly one livery I hope for in the future is London Midland, and for Bachmann to get it right if they do. The 170's green was way off (so I repainted mine) - thankfully the 350s were correct!

post-22763-0-40085900-1515595026_thumb.jpg

I understand with the recent switch over occurring with West Midlands Trains, why Bachmann may have been reluctant to include it within the first wave.

I'd quite equally welcome a Central Trains variant aswell, which did span a fair few years itself.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

My hope is that the new Turbostar chassis mechanism (even if the wrong length) will allow Bachman to start working through the Electrostar range in years to come...

Luke

As long as the "years to come" is not too far in the future. Some of us don't have too many years left, and it would be nice to run some Electrostars before we pop off this mortal coil.

As long as the "years to come" is not too far in the future. Some of us don't have too many years left, and it would be nice to run some Electrostars before we pop off this mortal coil.

Yep, some of those Bachy chaps look as if they haven’t the same pressure of years that some of us have. Nevertheless, when we were told that action was being taken to clear the backlog, some people seemed to expect an instant solution. Naturally, there wasn’t one but it looks as if things are starting to move now. Next thing we’ll be complaining that it’s all coming too quickly and we can’t afford it all at once.

We’re not all Pete Waterman. Not that I grudge him his money – he deserves it through putting up with the awful racket which was his stock in trade for so many years. :D

• Like 1

Guest eddie reffin

Hopefully Bachmann will take into account some of the finer details on the chassis. Our 170s (Scotrail) have a hinged cover over the brake raft on the non driving side which other TOCs don’t have. There are various versions of the fibreglass panels on the lower corners of the ends. We have two different types of headlights between the Phase 1 and 2 units. The blue lights on the retention tanks would also be quite a novel addition too.

I like the plan to use a single decoder for the whole unit. The bar was raised by Realtrack with the 156 so hopefully Bachmann can get the 170 as good.

• RMweb Gold

I can sense all those who have paid a massive fortune in Ebay for the Limited Edition Southern 171's will probably be panicking right now, they will be all but worthless when the new one surfaces.

32-468 Class 171/7 2-car DMU 171727 in Southern livery on the old tooling is still awaiting release for a year or so....

Not sure Ive seen an older tooling in the catalog, unreleased, being released in the interim before a new tooling already announced comes.

I'm hoping for both, but am suspecting it's getting the axe, at least Hattons seem to now be suggesting it is.. (haven't got my canceled email yet though)

http://www.hattons.co.uk/82897/Bachmann_Branchline_32_468_Class_171_7_2_car_DMU_171727_in_Southern_livery_Price_is_estimated_we_will_noti/StockDetail.aspx

Edited by adb968008

After his woeful Eurovision entry then blaming everyone else for it's failure instead of fessing up it was really his dated 80's shite done on the cheap (I assume he was paid in Banks's bitter or Bensons as paying Brenda's Coinage for it would have been a waste of licence payer's money), I'm afraid Waterman is dead to me.

I can forgive a lot, even Jason and Kylie, but not dissing the Eurovision audience for rejecting his tuneless radio jingle. Not done.

What on earth have these comments got to do with re-tooling DMU's ???

This is a forum about Railway modelling & not "Top of the Pops"

• 2 weeks later...

I'm very excited about these too, assuming Bachmann doesn't massively raise the price just before release like they have just done with the arrival and GWR 150s.

Does anyone know if they will have the motor under the floor like the LTM S stock did and then a fully detailed interior? Would be very cool if they do.

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

What on earth have these comments got to do with re-tooling DMU's ???

This is a forum about Railway modelling & not "Top of the Pops"

Really? Thankyou for pointing out the error of our ways. No wonder you are on moderated status.

• 2 weeks later...

I can sense all those who have paid a massive fortune in Ebay for the Limited Edition Southern 171's will probably be panicking right now, they will be all but worthless when the new one surfaces.

Not just the Southern 171s but also the Cross Country 170s. They were fetching around £200 a few weeks ago but now eBay seems to be flooded with them and the price has come right down.

We’re not all Pete Waterman. Not that I grudge him his money – he deserves it through putting up with the awful racket which was his stock in trade for so many years. :D

Actually, we all put up with that awful racket. He was the [ahem] individual who foisted it on us....and then profited from it. So [sAW] him.

• RMweb Premium

Actually, we all put up with that awful racket. He was the [ahem] individual who foisted it on us....and then profited from it. So [sAW] him.

For some of us, the 1980s were our formative years and we actually quite like that 'awful racket' as you put it. Now some of the decades that followed on the other hand......

For some of us, the 1980s were our formative years and we actually quite like that 'awful racket' as you put it. Now some of the decades that followed on the other hand......

Oh well, like the music or not, the man knew what to do with his money. He knocked out an enjoyable television series as well.

According to Bachmann, the second generation DMU models will all feature the following:

These use all-new tooling and feature a low-level drive mechanism with DCC provision (previous models did not have any DCC provision).

• Switchable day and night modes.
  • Illuminated destination blinds.
  • Functional BSI couplings on outer ends.
  • Conductive coupling meaning only one decoder is required for DCC operation.
  • Easy access DCC decoder fitting. 

Impressive. I'd like a couple of Turbostars, one each in Cross Country and Chiltern.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Any update on the class 171 situation? I plan on purchasing the Southern unit when it's released however many of the older models are being sold off for very reasonable prices, one only can presume that a release date will be in late 2018/early 2019 so an old unit for £130 is very tempting.

Rory 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Any update on the class 171 situation? I plan on purchasing the Southern unit when it's released however many of the older models are being sold off for very reasonable prices, one only can presume that a release date will be in late 2018/early 2019 so an old unit for £130 is very tempting.

Rory 

I wouldn't worry about the new Bachmann 171 arriving anytime soon. It still says "to be advised" on the Bachmann website under the delivery date. As a rough estimate considering that the 90s aren't due until March 2019, the 158s Summer 2019 and the 20/3s haven't yet got a delivery date (and these were announced in January 2017) I would say you are probably looking at 2020 before the retooled 171 arrives maybe even later. That's just an estimate based on what's already been announced but personally I can't see it arriving this year or next year. 

• Like 1

Rory 

At the bottom of AndyY's post announcing the 2018 releases it is stated that the 168/170/171 have only just started the process and aren't even at the CAD stage yet.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/129822-Bachmann-announcements-2018-full-list/page-1

• Like 1

At the bottom of AndyY's post announcing the 2018 releases it is stated that the 168/170/171 have only just started the process and aren't even at the CAD stage yet.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/129822-Bachmann-announcements-2018-full-list/page-1

I'm new to model railways - therefore by them not being at the CAD stage yet, are we looking at an early 2020 release date, or something even later?

Thanks