New Kernow Hornby limited editions..

adb968008

• RMweb Premium

Glad to see some more 31's making an appearance. I may have to order one of those golden ochre ones, renumber it to the preserved one at GCR and yellow up those ends! As for the rather limited quantity of 31's being produced, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see other retailers announce limited editions to make a larger factory "run". For example there could possibly be another Hornby/NRM link up as one idea? 31 018 in BR Blue with yellow ends as currently in York for Locomotion Models, with D5500 in BR Green no warning panels as it has run in the past being produced for Rails Of Sheffield​? Although maybe as a preservation enthusiast I'm simply deluding myself into thinking this could happen  :yes:

A model of 31 018 would be interesting. It would need EE exhaust port body as used on the model of 31 111. But the cab desk from R2420 / R2420A so to represent the Toffee Apple controls. If it was produced I hope the commissioner would take these details into account.

A model of 31 018 would be interesting. It would need EE exhaust port body as used on the model of 31 111. But the cab desk from R2420 / R2420A so to represent the Toffee Apple controls. If it was produced I hope the commissioner would take these details into account.

I’d be more concerned about the chances of it turning to dust after a year. Hope they have better mazak now

You could apply that to any Hornby model what uses a mazak chassis block.

You could apply that to any model (or anything else) what uses mazak. 

Mazak rot is due to impurities in the metal used to make the chassis blocks, it has nothing to do with who or what model model is being made.  It can strike any manufacturer if their suppliers let them down.

Roddy

• RMweb Gold

It’s sad that an initial issue with an early run of models has tainted all subsequent runs of 31’s.

I’m guilty of it myself. I have less super detail Hornby 31’s than any other diesel class, except the Heljan 47, as I look at them, and think of Mazak rotting green 31’s, yet rationally it makes no sense, the early ones were old, and unlucky. Mazak has pretty much declined since 2014 Across all Chinese models, suggesting the lessons been learnt, and is much more unlikely, the 31 is as much unlikely as any other..but the first impression persists. It’s the same with the Heljan 47.. I’ve got 1 and that’s it... it put me off, even if it’s not logical.

Edited by adb968008

You could apply that to any model (or anything else) what uses mazak. 

Mazak rot is due to impurities in the metal used to make the chassis blocks, it has nothing to do with who or what model model is being made.  It can strike any manufacturer if their suppliers let them down.

Roddy

Mazak use goes right back to the Triang days - the BR Standard 2-6-4 chassis was cast from it. Not that there are so many left around, but how many of those suffered 'rot'?

Unfortunately the model of D5579 (R3674) that Kernow have on their website is technically incorrect as this shows English Electric exhaust outlets and by the time this locomotive was re-engined it was in green full yellow end livery.

To get this product absolutely correct Kernow need to insist that Hornby use the R2572 body moulding that they used in their versions of D5640,  D5657 (R3044) and D5829 (R3044a) in green livery with Mirrlees exhaust outlets.. Simon Kohler should be able to put his mark on this now as I have discussed certain issues with him in the past and he has responded well.

I will send a copy of this to Chris Trerise at Kernow to see if he can intervene.

Here's hoping it can be sorted then I can place my order!

Chris has kindly replied to me and stated that the exhausts will be correct on the model. He will be getting a revised sample..............................so good news!

Just checking this as I am sure you will know more than most others "Brush Veteran". On the bodyside of the Brush type 2 there is a door about midway. Am I correct in thinking this door received a grille in the lower half after the loco received it's new EE power unit ?

Thanks   

Edited by Covkid

Just checking this as I am sure you will know more than most others "Brush Veteran". On the bodyside of the Brush type 2 there is a door about midway. Am I correct in thinking this door received a grille in the lower half after the loco received it's new EE power unit ?

Thanks   

Hi Covkid

I hope you're ready for this!

The half louvred door to which you refer was standard fitment from initial build on all production Brush Type 2's fitted with the 1,365/1,600/2000hp Mirrlees power units numbered D5520-D5699, D5800-62. They retained these upon re-powering with EE 1,470 hp power units in the mid 1960's.

The original 1,250hp Mirrlees engine 'pilot scheme' Brush Type 2's D5500-18 were fitted with plain doors, D5519, the last of the initial batch, was the first to be fitted with the half louvred door and as far as I can tell from my extensive photo collection, was built this way.

Now this is where things get a bit complicated...............what else would we expect from BR!  At some point during 1961-6  D5504 was fitted with a louvred door on 'B' side only (the side without the access steps to the radiator filler) whilst it was still green and with Mirrlees power unit. D5507 similarly had just the one louvred door, but on the opposite 'A' side (with the access steps to the radiator filler) during 1962-6. Now for a bit more complication, D5519, although built with the half louvred doors, received a plain door during 1962-6 on 'A' side. My guess is that it was probably in either Doncaster or Stratford works at the same time as D5507 and their doors were swapped over during repairs or overhaul. 

When eventually the 'pilot scheme' batch were re-engined with EE units they had their plain doors modified to accept louvres in the lower half of the door to aid the airflow around the engine room. 

Another anomaly is with D5518. This loco received extensive accident damage after a shunting incident during 1965 with a line of type 1's headed by D8404, which was withdrawn with a bent frame. Consequently D5518 was rebuilt with standard headcode fitted cabs and modified to 'blue star' control equipment to match the production loco's. It emerged from Stratford works still fitted with plain doors but with full yellow ends and 'touched up' green livery. Later the following year it was called to Doncaster for an EE re-power but when returned to Stratford still retained it's immaculate green livery but by then had received the half louvred door conversion.

There were no plain doored 'pilot scheme' locos in blue livery, in fact the were no Mirrlees powered Brush Type 2's in blue livery, apart from the 'Electric Blue' experiment with D5578 from 1961-4

I hope this answer your fairly simple question........................I'm afraid nothing is ever quite that way with the answer!

Edited by BrushVeteran
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Went to preorder 50007 today but once again the stupid pay now and get refunded system stopped that. I don’t understand why they can’t have a system like Hattons that doesn’t take money when you preorder something. Very frustrating! By the time I can afford to pay for it, there is a good chance it will be sold out, since it’s only a Ltd Ed of 350.

Yes, it's the website software that charges at the point of ordering not the order database.

When you are ready to pay, credit your account and send an email explaining what it is for.

Be aware that emailing your pre-order, it won't show on your web account (just as if you ordered by phone or in store).

Went to preorder 50007 today but once again the stupid pay now and get refunded system stopped that. I don’t understand why they can’t have a system like Hattons that doesn’t take money when you preorder something. Very frustrating! By the time I can afford to pay for it, there is a good chance it will be sold out, since it’s only a Ltd Ed of 350.

To be honest I would't panic, 350 is actually still quite alot to shift these days, and its been done twice in slightly different guises.  Even with the newly tooled EX LMS Duchess of Hamilton (in Black), Rails have only just managed to sell 250!  Personally I used to pre-order most limited editions, now due to rising costs and a family unless its something totally unique or fills a real gap/requirement in my fleet, like the previous London Underground Class 66's, I personally just tend to not bother, and I think that most peoples jist now-a-days, which is why they tend to sit around!  

Mine was the opposite issue. I knew I could pay now so wanted them to take the money, otherwise I'd have to keep the funds aside until June when the new models come in. I phoned Kernow and enquired about this and they told me to state "please do not refund because..." in the 'special instructions' box when ordering. So far they haven't refunded me for 50010 or D5579 so looks like it worked!

• RMweb Premium

50007 carried snowploughs while she had black nameplates didn’t she? I’m hoping the accessory pack does come with them. I prefer the look of Sir Ed with the ploughs attached.

Edited by Hilux5972

• 4 weeks later...

50007 carried snowploughs while she had black nameplates didn’t she? I’m hoping the accessory pack does come with them. I prefer the look of Sir Ed with the ploughs attached.

I always thought ploughs were a pres only feature and thus red nameplates only, but I'd be happy to be proven wrong...

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Is there any progress to report on these, especially the Brush Type 2 in the orange livery? The expected date of June 2018 is now only a couple of months away...

Possibly quite soon: my credit card was debited on 11 April for the cost of this loco, so here's hoping.....

The sample of 97204 doesn’t show it having the body side bands so I will check with kernow before ordering one. Way back in the late 1980s I was there at Ipswich when a certain 31326 was collided into by 31469 in the sidings. As with most 31s the cabs dropped. 31326 being unrefurbished was withdrawn. It was then reinstated and repaired and became 97204. 97203 ex 31298 had sustained fire damage less than a year after its acquisition by the railway technical centre it was also vacuum brake only so I suspect the chance of getting a dual braked machine was jumped upon.

• 3 weeks later...