Sound fitted class 47.....body swop options

acg5324

• RMweb Premium

With GF issuing the first sound fitted class 47 under the Colas body I can see some body swops coming on.

It looks like 47727 has mark lights fitted in the former headcode area.

Now I’ve only got 47/0 and 47/4 bodies either with marker lights or headcode boxes and no headlights.

Looks like you would need to swop the bodies and fuel tanks to get them sound fitted. Is the headlight just another light tube or a separate piece that would need to be swopped too?

A photo of the internals would be required

If the chassis uses LEDs, like the current 6 pin, then it is simply a body swap

This chassis can then used on those Class 47 with the single long range fuel tank (no water tank), using any body from 47474 / 47612 release onwards

The next issue is disposing of the removed (spare) 47727 body

There may be people that want the cut away buffer beam, but it depends on if the multiple working fitting is an accessory or can be blanked

Edited by mjkerr

It won't be a straight swap I imagine, the speaker for the 40 is mounted into the roof of the body so chances are the 47 will be the same. Not sure what space will be available for a speaker. Chances are someone will try it and report back when it comes out

I agree that it may well not be a straight body swap-over, as there will need to be some modification of the chassis to take a Next18 de-coder and the aforementioned speaker enclosure, plus features such as cab lighting may mean that the LED arrangements are somewhat different. 

There have been a number of posts about poor running of the 47 chassis, the 57 chassis is very different - and some have commented that these are better runners - so perhaps Bachmann will be taking note and making a complete update to the chassis.

Regards,

Paul

If the new class 40 is anything to go by, the speaker will be mounted to a sound chamber in the body, meaning it won't be as simples as a chassis swap....and this appears to be confirmed with comments on the other thread from what Bachmann have said about the 47 being a body retool to accommodate the speaker too.

Cheers,

Alan

Edited by Dr Al

There have been a number of posts about poor running of the 47 chassis, the 57 chassis is very different - and some have commented that these are better runners - so perhaps Bachmann will be taking note and making a complete update to the chassis.

Not sure what - the only issues these run into are some split gears. But that's the bogies, have there been reports of motor problems that would relate to the main chassis block design? I've not seen it in my experience of 47s....

Cheers,

Alan

Not sure what - the only issues these run into are some split gears. But that's the bogies, have there been reports of motor problems that would relate to the main chassis block design? I've not seen it in my experience of 47s....

Cheers,

Alan

The Bachmann Farish 47's do seem to have some problems with the close proximity of the bogies to the buffer beams, which leads to more derailments than other 6-axle models (e.g the 37) and may be a source of some of the poor current collection problems reported on this and N Gauge forum. The slack adjusters do tend to catch on bumpy track, but have a tendency to fall off at times anyway...

I have improved performance a bit by removing an ETH bracket from the buffer-beam that overhangs and can catch the bogie on curves. This has pretty much eliminated the tendency to de-railments, but another issue is the centre-axle having no pick-ups which doesn't help current collection (and sometimes the centre axle can be fractionally lower, which means the outside wheels can't collect current very well). This can be resolved, but I think that such niggling faults puts the average modeller off, as why should they have to modify RTR loco's in the first place?

• 6 years later...

Finding a Farish 47 Topic was hard, but as this is a sound fitted thread useful video from Digitrains here who have nicely shown where they have stuck the zimo capacitors.  I've a few of these spare so when I finally get around to purchasing one of the new sound models I can easily add some stay alive in the body cavity.

• Informative/Useful 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I’ve now done two body shops with the current sound fitted class 47, one in VT and one in RES livery. The first swop went without a hitch, body and tanks to give 47555 a voice. This was I think a second issue 2011 body. 
I’ve just put the body off 47035 which is a first issue 2008 body on the latest 47 chassis and found a couple of anomalies…….with the lighting. When moving forward the drivers side tailamp is illuminated white and at the rear only the near side tailamp is illuminated. Changing direction and the same happens. Putting another second issue body on the chassis and the lighting becomes correct. The only difference I can see between the bodies is a subtle change to copperish plate above the light guides which are identical.