My/our coach, carriage & wagon scratch building thread

gobbler

A quick update

Painted a very basic interior colour and glazed the windows ready for the roof.

Added a tiny bit more detail to the axle boxes.

Started laying the roof, can't do much more now til' the roof has dried tomorrow night.

post-2873-0-49745100-1521066659_thumb.jpg

post-2873-0-22294800-1521066686_thumb.jpg

post-2873-0-43014400-1521066733_thumb.jpg

With such a shallow arc for the roof I can use wider roof 'planks'.

Soon as the roof is done.....

1) finish axle boxes

2) brake detail

3) vents above the passenger doors

Then it's on to the ends.......

TTFN

Scott

Edited by gobbler
  • Like 7

Can you guess what I was doing in my lunch hour?

post-2873-0-27943300-1521120856_thumb.jpg

Luckily the squadron green putty dries quickly, a rub down and bobs your uncle. I'll primer the roof and give the roof another rub down to see how the low and high points look.

I'll post a bit more tonight

TTFN

Scott

Edited by gobbler
  • Like 1

Added the rest of the axle and 'W' iron details. Won't be doing anymore to these.

post-2873-0-59663800-1521150300_thumb.jpg

Have given the roof a coat of paint, can't touch that til' tomorrow. That's it for tonight.

TTFN

scott

• Like 7

Done a whole tonight so far and made some good progress.

First off the brake gear, the vents above the doors and some hand rails

post-2873-0-58516300-1521231561_thumb.jpg

Then there's the steps, handrails on one end.

post-2873-0-18218300-1521231724_thumb.jpg

And t'other end with the emergency gear and roof vent

post-2873-0-21660500-1521231820_thumb.jpg

A bit of tidying up a couple of handles, vac pipes, door handles, steps by the passenger compartment a lick of paint and I think that's apart from the decals.

Comments always welcome

Scott

• Like 4

While I'm waiting for various bits'n'pieces to dry, thought I'd pick up the 4 wheeled dia 120 full brake.

Managed at last to figure out the guards door window (by marking out on the front, which I rarely do.

Have scribed the tumblehome and bent the panels.

post-2873-0-64831500-1521243086_thumb.jpg

The top picture is of the outside and the bottom, the inside. The door lines are scribed lightly, but as the panelling covers these, they're more a guide

TTFN

Scott

Well......I'd already cut the sides and all the formers (when making the roof profile formers, I marked one line on 6 of the 8 at 0.75mm on the bottom edge). Which made the first part of the assembly whizz by. This morning so far I have done the panelling.

post-2873-0-77242100-1521289974_thumb.jpg

post-2873-0-05612200-1521290007_thumb.jpg

Remembering to omit one of the panel line on one side for the guard ducket.

Once all is dry in s couple of hours, the doors will need scribing then the beading will be put on.

I would say to anyone having a go at scratch building a carriage/coach/van, spend time on the ends/roof formers. I Make the internal roof formers one floor thickness less than the ends, but the height is not cut until all ends and roof profiles have had the radii cut.

TTFN

Scott

• Like 4

Looking good!

Can I ask how you would do uprights on the end of a van which get thinner from the bottom upwards? - Like these; http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/75/entry-14178-lswr-10-ton-sliding-door-van/

When looking at pictures of the LBSCR Van I'm doing, I noticed that they do this - not convinced just leaving them as a straight, flat piece of plasticard would look right.

Thanks!

Edited by dseagull

Looking good!

Can I ask how you would do uprights on the end of a van which get thinner from the bottom upwards? - Like these; http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/75/entry-14178-lswr-10-ton-sliding-door-van/

When looking at pictures of the LBSCR Van I'm doing, I noticed that they do this - not convinced just leaving them as a straight, flat piece of plasticard would look right.

Thanks!

Stick to LNER models..............

But seriously if you haven't got any 2.5mm x 2.5mm approx square rod, I'd laminate until I got the correct with (I'm assuming 2.5mm approx) stick the lengths into position. Wait a day until thoroughly dry then thin down one end until satisfactory.

Have never come across this in the models I've built.

Sometimes I wish these things came with instructions. You gotta make it up as you go along. A lot of the time you can only do so much, it's down to you how far you want to go.

You are the master of your own destiny. Post your progress here as it's a technique I may later need acquire.

The above is about as much use to you as a Easter chocolate tea-pot lol

Scott

Done a smidge more.

The springs are set behind the 'W' irons, which made things a bit interesting.

post-2873-0-98471500-1521317436_thumb.jpg

post-2873-0-31419000-1521317467_thumb.jpg

Beading has been done. Have managed to achieve quite a bit today, better nice and toasty inside than be cold out in the snow.

TTFN

Scott

• Like 2

Stick to LNER models..............

But seriously if you haven't got any 2.5mm x 2.5mm approx square rod, I'd laminate until I got the correct with (I'm assuming 2.5mm approx) stick the lengths into position. Wait a day until thoroughly dry then thin down one end until satisfactory.

Have never come across this in the models I've built.

Sometimes I wish these things came with instructions. You gotta make it up as you go along. A lot of the time you can only do so much, it's down to you how far you want to go.

You are the master of your own destiny. Post your progress here as it's a technique I may later need acquire.

The above is about as much use to you as a Easter chocolate tea-pot lol

Scott

Cheers - has confirmed my two thoughts on the subject!

Done a wee bit more this morning.

Concentrated on the underside, still some battery boxes to make. Not sure, but I think there are two battery boxes to fit into on the side without the guards ducket. Anyhoo here's the pix.

The underside so far

post-2873-0-68587200-1521378584_thumb.jpg

Closer view of the suspension, got to do some axle box detail.

post-2873-0-49208100-1521378673_thumb.jpg

The ride height looks good too

post-2873-0-05089700-1521378745_thumb.jpg

That's all for now

Scott

Edited by gobbler
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Morning All,

Been busy with work, so I've not been as productive as I would have liked.

Managed to get a bit more done on the Sleeper Composite;

post-1937-0-39284500-1521461091_thumb.jpg

Just some touching up, sort the fit of the roof, and construct an interior to do.

Gaz.

• Like 6

Gaz couple of Q's

1. How do you do your roofs? especially the ends

2. Your bogies, home made?

3. How are your trusses done?

Ps nice paint job

Scott

Edited by gobbler

• RMweb Premium

Hi Scott,

1: The roofs are from Wizard models,

either the ex-Comet roof : https://www.wizardmodels.ltd/shop/carriage/c10b/

or the 51L version : https://www.wizardmodels.ltd/shop/carriage/lner-gresley-61ft-6in-carriage-roof-lnec001/

2: The bogies are Hornby

3: The Trusses are MJT etched ones in this instance, if they were the angle iron version i would just cut them myself.

Hope that helps,

Gaz.

Gaz couple of Q's

1. How do you do your roofs? especially the ends
2. Your bogies, home made?
3. How are your trusses done?

Ps nice paint job

Scott

• Like 1

Hi Scott,

1: The roofs are from Wizard models,

either the ex-Comet roof : https://www.wizardmodels.ltd/shop/carriage/c10b/

or the 51L version : https://www.wizardmodels.ltd/shop/carriage/lner-gresley-61ft-6in-carriage-roof-lnec001/

2: The bogies are Hornby

3: The Trusses are MJT etched ones in this instance, if they were the angle iron version i would just cut them myself.

Hope that helps,

Gaz.

You'll have to let us know when you do the angle iron trusses, that's one thing I need to master.

A step-by-step on here would be V.nice.

Cheers

Scott

• RMweb Premium

Evening All,

My next project will be this;

post-1937-0-34489400-1521489855_thumb.jpg

An ex-NBR non-corridor brake.

As my layout (under construction) is set in 1955, if this coach had survived, what livery would it likely have carried?

My guess would be ex-LNER brown, or crimson.

Any advice gratefully received!

Now, just need to get some time off to be able to work on it!

Gaz.

Edited by gazman424
  • Like 5

Anyhoo a tad more done.

First up a closer look at the underside.

post-2873-0-79496600-1521489911_thumb.jpg

I've realised there's some omissions.

A. The little bar on the bottom of the 'W' irons....shouldn't be too difficult

B. The foot board that runs along the sole bar.

C. The guards steps.

Well I've also done the glazing so I can add the roof.

post-2873-0-24662400-1521490080_thumb.jpg

Can't do much more on this tonight

So I've prepped some sides for the next projects.

I'm not going to tell you what they are, except that they'll be in Nick Camplings book historic carriage drawings vol1.

post-2873-0-63826600-1521490696_thumb.jpg

TTFN

Scott

• Like 5

Evening All,

My next project will be this;

attachicon.gifNBR Non-corridor coach.jpg

An ex-NBR non-corridor brake.

As my layout (under construction) is set in 1955, if this coach had survived, what livery would it likely have carried?

My guess would be ex-LNER brown, or crimson.

Any advice gratefully received!

Now, just need to get some time off to be able to work on it!

Gaz.

Jwealleans is a bit of a guru, when it comes to this stuff, maybe micklner or coachman could help

Scott

Edited by gobbler

I think you're right with either brown or Crimson, Gaz - my instinct is that the later in the 1950s these vehicles survived, the more likely they were to have Crimson, but relatively few pregrouping vehicles were considered likely to be kept in traffic long enough to receive it. If you've no definitive evidence either way then go with what you prefer (or do one side in each?).

How do you get on with the 51L roofs? I find the ends a bit flat compared to Kirk or Comet ones (I'm guessing the one on your sleeper is a Comet).

Some more done on my Van 

post-723-0-44202900-1521575445.png

Looking at a picture of the prototype, I noticed that there is a vertical part of the support before it begins to taper in. Once I noticed this, I thought the easiest thing to do would be to get a straight edged bit of plasticard, cut along this for a short while, then rotate the knife to a 45 degree angle and allow it to run off the side - this worked well. Unfortunately it wasn't until I'd done one end by the more complicated method of cutting a rectangle then cutting it diagonally in half that I noticed this, meaning a fair bit of sanding to correct the taper! - Despite my changing of methods, I managed to produce 8 more or less the same, laminating them together for strength and to get the right thickness.

The bar above the door and the door bangs(?) were simply 30 thou plasticard filed on the edges to try and represent the slight taper of the prototype. Also put in a couple of internal supports to help keep the shape, which, now it's all stuck together, is pleasingly staying square.

It does seem very light, so I've currently got 6p on my desk in penny pieces and am toying with gluing them together to make weights which can then fit inside the van at either end (needed or overkill?)

Solebars and roof strips are cut - as are some rather ropey W Irons - I'm hoping that by the time they are painted and the axlebox covers are fitted they will look Ok and do the job!

post-723-0-26451900-1521576958.png

So - next jobs are to fit the solebars (I could have done this already but am a little nervous about getting the gauge correct!) and W Irons, then decide whether or not to weight internally or find something afterwards to weight underneath, and then fit the roof. A pack of 50 top hat bearings is waiting on eBay for a cheque (or a Paypal payment, either's good!) to clear, and I'm hoping to pick up some 10 thou for the strapping and wheels at the model shop on Saturday.

All feedback more than welcome! 

Edited by dseagull
  • Like 2

All the ends and partitions/roof formers cut and shaped.

The ends are different, they are 1mm bigger because of the curve.

post-2873-0-09588900-1521577793_thumb.jpg

Floors cut, the sides are scribed for the tumblehome and the ends have the curves cut.

post-2873-0-43433000-1521577944_thumb.jpg

All this while waiting for my roof to dry.....gotta be doin' something......right?

Scott

Edited by gobbler
  • Like 6

Some more done on my Van

attachicon.gifVan2.png

Looking at a picture of the prototype, I noticed that there is a vertical part of the support before it begins to taper in. Once I noticed this, I thought the easiest thing to do would be to get a straight edged bit of plasticard, cut along this for a short while, then rotate the knife to a 45 degree angle and allow it to run off the side - this worked well. Unfortunately it wasn't until I'd done one end by the more complicated method of cutting a rectangle then cutting it diagonally in half that I noticed this, meaning a fair bit of sanding to correct the taper! - Despite my changing of methods, I managed to produce 8 more or less the same, laminating them together for strength and to get the right thickness.

The bar above the door and the door bangs(?) were simply 30 thou plasticard filed on the edges to try and represent the slight taper of the prototype. Also put in a couple of internal supports to help keep the shape, which, now it's all stuck together, is pleasingly staying square.

It does seem very light, so I've currently got 6p on my desk in penny pieces and am toying with gluing them together to make weights which can then fit inside the van at either end (needed or overkill?)

Solebars and roof strips are cut - as are some rather ropey W Irons - I'm hoping that by the time they are painted and the axlebox covers are fitted they will look Ok and do the job!

attachicon.gifIrons.png

So - next jobs are to fit the solebars (I could have done this already but am a little nervous about getting the gauge correct!) and W Irons, then decide whether or not to weight internally or find something afterwards to weight underneath, and then fit the roof. A pack of 50 top hat bearings is waiting on eBay for a cheque (or a Paypal payment, either's good!) to clear, and I'm hoping to pick up some 10 thou for the strapping and wheels at the model shop on Saturday.

All feedback more than welcome!

Mr D Seagull

For your first outing into scratch building I'd be rather chuffed!! Pun intended of course.

The important bit of the 'W' irons is the measurement from the longer flat that is stuck to the bottom of the wagon floor to the hole centre.

As a rule of thumb, 23.5mm from the inside of the 'W' irons works well for Hornby/Bachmann wheels.

If you fancy doing more scratchin' you find a vernier a boon! (I know I've said this before my one opens out to just over 200mm, a must if you have plans for coaches or any type of bogied vehicle).

post-2873-0-43368400-1521578817_thumb.jpg

Scott

Edited by gobbler
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Evening All,

Managed to get a wee bit more done to the NBR coach today, namely the door ventilator hoods.

post-1937-0-12413300-1521579528_thumb.jpg

Thanks Jonathon for the livery info, I think I'll go with crimson.

Regarding the Gresley roofs, the one on the sleeper is a 51L example. The only niggle I have with them is that they are slightly underlength  - 237mm instead of 240mm for the 60' sides. The 51L moulding is far crisper, but also is missing the nameboard brackets. (Which I have just realised I have forgotten to put on the Sleeper - D'oh!).

Gaz.

• Like 5