My/our coach, carriage & wagon scratch building thread

gobbler

From a bundle of parts in the previous picture to these....

post-2873-0-32855900-1521584104_thumb.jpg

Two GE corridor coaches, a 4 compartment 3rd with guard and a 1st/3rd. That's another sheet of 0.75mm styrene sheet gone and I haven't done the roofs, sole bars or bogies yet. But at 86p a sheet not bad. The most expensive bits of any build I've done so far are the wheels.

TTFN

Scott

Edited by gobbler
  • Like 3

Mr D Seagull

For your first outing into scratch building I'd be rather chuffed!! Pun intended of course.

The important bit of the 'W' irons is the measurement from the longer flat that is stuck to the bottom of the wagon floor to the hole centre.

As a rule of thumb, 23.5mm from the inside of the 'W' irons works well for Hornby/Bachmann wheels.

If you fancy doing more scratchin' you find a vernier a boon! (I know I've said this before my one opens out to just over 200mm, a must if you have plans for coaches or any type of bogied vehicle).

attachicon.gifIMG_8303.JPG

Scott

Thanks that's very useful. Vernier also on shopping list!

Bob,

The Vernier calliper is the metal instrument just above the coach side on post 324. I've had this I was an apprentice at Marconi back in the mid 80's. Its a Mitutoyo all hardened stainless steel and I use it all the time for marking out and measuring, accurate to 0.05mm but only go to the nearest 0.1mm. In eBay type in '200mm vernier'. The closet match to the one I use is about £45. If your not used to using the graduations to set the dimension, I would go for a digital one.

Scott

Guy's, just thought.....

Always mark out from one datum point, I usually take the top left hand corner, never the bottom because you'll always need to add a little extra for the tumblehome.

Which brings up this important-ish note:-

The vernier I have opens out to a maximum of 216mm which is 54ft in 4mm terms. Luckily all I've built are Gresley/Thompson and GER stock which my calipers can handle, anything bigger I would have to mark out the windows from both ends, meaning that the length of the sides would be a very critical dimension and would have to be cut very accurately.

Cheers

Scott

• Like 1

Scott

Thanks for the info. I have a digital vernier calliper which is about the same range as yours. I model in 7mm but luckily don’t need any coaches so it will be adequate for goods stock. I guess that covers the marking out, the next issue is accurate scribing of the planks etc. Any tips?

Bob

• Like 1

Vans being flat sided with no tumblehome will make things slightly easier.

Here's what I've done on my CCT, cattle and horse box.....

1. Mark out the lines of all panel detail, using the scalpel normally, on the outer surface. Using the drawing I recon I can guesstimate to about 0.1mm using my rule, set that dimension with my vernier then....,

Once your happy with all the dimensions that have been marked out...

2. using a steel rule and the scalpel at 90 degrees scribe all lines once or twice to deepen the definition of all the details.

You may need to use a Stanley knife blade for bigger stuff, I'm not sure though.

Have a practice first and try different techniques. Then post your findings here

Hope this helps........

Scott

Edited by gobbler

Just looking over my milk luggage van, I realised I hadn't done the end with the handrails and steps, I'd also missed the guards footsteps. I know the handrails by the single guards door have not been done either. Will do them later.

post-2873-0-89155100-1521981741_thumb.jpg

post-2873-0-87210600-1521981762_thumb.jpg

Still working on the 4w dia 120 full brake just the end panel detail to complete there.

And the three GER corridor coaches are coming along nicely.

post-2873-0-61904700-1521981888_thumb.jpg

I've missed out a lot of steps in the building of these. I'll just post pictures as and when. If anyone would rather me do the step by step approach let me know and I'll do it on the next new build.

Cheers for reading

Scott

Edited by gobbler
  • Like 3

The first steps for the panel beading.

post-2873-0-81050200-1522065265_thumb.jpg

post-2873-0-12401800-1522065289_thumb.jpg

The longitudinal bands, one flush with the top, the second just above window level, the third just below window level and the last close to midway from the lower window level and base of the coach. Being so thin, it can be tricky to get them straight and parallel. Not looking too bad, there's two or three spots that need further attention though.

Scott

Edited by gobbler
  • Like 4

Well here's the 3 GER corridor coaches, in various stages.

The main advantage I've found is that you can leave one to dry whilst you can carry on with something else on a different coach.

Corridor side

post-2873-0-67643700-1522189305_thumb.jpg

Compartment side

post-2873-0-02357700-1522189339_thumb.jpg

Talking of These coaches........

According to Nicks drawings the roofs have a double rain rain strip the question is the roof vents are they....

1) along the centre line of the roof

2) along the centre of the compartments

Anyone help???

Cheers

Scott

Edited by gobbler
  • Like 7

Morning Scott

Swift work on the exGER coaches!!

The reference you have shows the spacing of the ventilators end on for the brake, ie two rows symmetrical about the c/l.

In addition I have a drawing from the Apr 63 MRC showing the end view of the others. They are again a double row symmetrical about coach c/l and 8mm apart(4mm drawing)

Hope this helps

Jonathan,

I was kind of hoping the paint I was using would of 'stuck' to the corners a bit more than it had to give me the radius effect.

But it hasn't.

Plan 2, I was thinking of using some squadron green and pushing it into the corners with a shank of a drill. I'll be trying this on the white one.

I've also noted the door vents were either, slatted looking or fairly plain looking. On the two brown coaches I've gone plain for ease of construction and the white one I was going to do the slatted version. The pictures I have show a proper mix of door vents and I cannot see that one particular variant goes with a certain type of coach

Your thoughts.....

Scott

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon Guys,

Despite being night shift this week, I've managed to progress my NB coach slightly. I've got the door hinges fitted and I've given it a coat of primer to show up any problems. A start has also been made on detailing the ends. I'm awaiting the arrival of a carriage book from the NBR Study Group before I start the underframe.

post-1937-0-14609700-1522252214_thumb.jpg

Also being progressed, is a LNWR Dia.1872 six wheel CCT, something that I've been tinkering with for a while...

post-1937-0-13448100-1522252201_thumb.jpg

Gaz.

• Like 6

Gaz, is that 6 wheeler a wooden kit?

I won't be posting any pictures of my effort to try and put the radii in the corners, it made a real mess and I've just spent the last hour or so cleaning it up. (Don't try this at home kids.....)

If anyone else doesn't have any other ideas, I'll just let the paint settle in the corners.

Cheers

Scott

Edited by gobbler

• RMweb Premium

Maybe drill holes in scrap pieces of plastikard the same thickness as you used for the beading and then cut quadrant shaped pieces from the edge of the hole to fit into the corners?  Would be fiddly, but ...

Had a little dabble with some tippex, my results were minimal.

I'll leave the sides as they are, the radii at this scale are tiny and everything I've tried has failed miserably.

So I thought I'd do some interior.

post-2873-0-20450100-1522361357_thumb.jpg

It's fairly basic, but there should be a little flash of colour as it goes by. The red's a smidge glossy, but I've got some Matt varnish for that. I've gone green 1st class and red for 3rd.

Cheers for looking

Scott

Edited by gobbler
  • Like 5

Well this is what I've managed to do today.

The first post picture today shows my bogie base and side blanks

First mark out all the hole centres. Note one corner has an angle scribed, this is my datum corner.

post-2873-0-42131100-1522439838_thumb.jpg

Next make all the holes.......

post-2873-0-05717600-1522439947_thumb.jpg

Then start to cut out all the waste material

post-2873-0-69985100-1522440002_thumb.jpg

Then cut the bases, making sure that the centre is marked out!

post-2873-0-52695600-1522440124_thumb.jpg

When all that's done, I cut two different width strips. One at 3mm the other at 2.2mm

Now I can start to assemble them all, with some of the offcuts I have stiffened the base.

post-2873-0-54400000-1522440290_thumb.jpg

I've added the bearings and now I'm at this stage

post-2873-0-97715000-1522440366_thumb.jpg

They don't look much at the moment, but there's no wobble and they run smoothly. Its all about building up the layers now, just as I do when building my coaches. All in all not a bad days messin' about.

Cheers for looking.

Crits/ideas/comments always welcome

Scott

Edited by gobbler
  • Like 3

Been mucking about with ends and sides today.

The ends of the GER coaches.

post-2873-0-62787300-1522520419_thumb.jpg

The ends of the 4W dia 120 full brake.

post-2873-0-57709500-1522520488_thumb.jpg

And the sides, now with hinges and handles.

post-2873-0-63404300-1522520634_thumb.jpg

Just the guards steps, roof vents and a touch up of paint here and there. Then, apart from the decals and weathering , it's finished.

Cheers for looking

Scott

Edited by gobbler
  • Like 4