My/our coach, carriage & wagon scratch building thread

gobbler

Evenin'all

Well, all those darned fiddly windows have been cut out.

post-2873-0-92727400-1518640708_thumb.jpg

Because the way I'm building this, I need to paint around the windows, because the windows have bars across them and I need to put those in first before I can assemble the sides. This is wear my knowledge falters and I hope you guys can jump in.....

I need to find out what livery it was run in, during its last years of service. So for the time being this scratch is on hold. I've got plenty of other bits I can crack on with in the mean time.

Could it be crimson?

Cheers for any light you can shed

• Like 2

Scott, sent you a PM. I think these probably all received BR Crimson - I'm sure there are a few pictures in the various David Larkin books of them in that livery. Some may have remained brown or shabby teak after the war, it depends exactly when you're modelling. I doubt any lasted long enough to be maroon except perhaps the TPO conversions.

Cheers John for your idea, have been experimenting see below.

post-2873-0-08659300-1518704938_thumb.jpg

post-2873-0-68042300-1518704976_thumb.jpg

I think the windows will look ok

Jonathan thanks for the pm decisions, decisions, crimson or maroon?

I think crimson, although if the TPO corridor connector turns out ok, I may go maroon.

Cheers chaps

Scott

• Like 3

Well I've made the 8 sets of window bars (thanks John) they're nice and dry ready for a little bit of packing

What colour were the bars? White?

I've cut several of the coach side profile stiffners making sure that they are 0.75mm shorter than the ends

I had already scribed the inside of the coach sides and bent them ready for the tumblehome

Cut the coach base 1.5mm shorter than the length and this morning have assembled everything except the window security bars. Just got to wait until the assembly is dry before I continue, which by the way will be the panelling out of 0.25mm thk sheet plasticard.

post-2873-0-92848700-1518779029_thumb.jpg

May do more tonight, until they ttfn

Scott

• Like 5

That first bit went quicker than expected

post-2873-0-76007900-1518802954_thumb.jpg

The larger 'ribs' that go either side of the door are now complete, once fully dry, they'll be trimmed to length and then scribed to get the doors relief in.

I've got my mind on duckets at the mo'. I'm thinking laminating 0.25, 0.75 k 0.25, with the 0.75 cutouts representing the 'window' and plenty of sanding to get the profile

TTFN

Scott

• Like 6

I'm worried.......

Things are going too well

Nuver update, is panel ribs, done both sides, here's one.

post-2873-0-85999900-1518816492_thumb.jpg

And also duckets, here's plan A, no plan B if these don't work. They yet to be shaped and cleaned.

post-2873-0-28866700-1518816601_thumb.jpg

I think that's going to be it for tonight.

Laters,

Scott

• Like 4

Gone through the ole' materials box, no thin strip for the lower panel beading.

Not to worry got bogies to do.

For those that may have an interest in building their own, I've added the basic dwg for an 8ft Fox bogie. It's all made out of 0.75mm thk pasticard with 4 x brass bearing cups.

post-2873-0-42294400-1518884131_thumb.jpg

Drawing is not to scale and dims taken directly from Nick Camplings diagrams so there's a little discrepancy of between 0.05 - 0.1mm. I can live with that.

TTFN

Scott

Edited by gobbler
  • Like 2

Here's a pair of 8' WB Fox bogies I built from a rather basic set of parts:

post-5932-0-69567200-1518885547_thumb.jpg

I never went to this insane level of detail in 4mm but I think worth knowing what's there in case you want to do some of it.

John

Edited by brossard
  • Like 1

Gone through the ole' materials box, no thin strip for the lower panel beading.

Not to worry got bogies to do.

For those that may have an interest in building their own, I've added the basic dwg for an 8ft Fox bogie. It's all made out of 0.75mm thk pasticard with 4 x brass bearing cups.

attachicon.gifIMG_7498.JPG

Drawing is not to scale and dims taken directly from Nick Camplings diagrams so there's a little discrepancy of between 0.05 - 0.1mm. I can live with that.

TTFN

Scott

Thanks for posting that, Scott. I need some for Taff Vale motor train coaches.

Tim T

Cheers John

Here's the two basic bogies......just need to dry out thoroughly before I can do much more.

post-2873-0-44004700-1518894327_thumb.jpg

Cheers Tim, I'll be building these the same way as my CCT. Once the bogies are dry I'll be adding the axle box details

Seeya later

Scott

Edited by gobbler
  • Like 3

Next couple of bits done on the bogies

Firstly I've notched out the the bits for the suspension.

post-2873-0-31344800-1518976558_thumb.jpg

Then the next bit is to start on the axle boxes.

post-2873-0-93292100-1518976618_thumb.jpg

Next will be to back fill around the axle boxes with my squadron green putty. Once that's all nice and dry a quick clean up and remove the burrs.

Then it will be add some detail, on the axles box, around the suspension area, the leaf spring and the suspension tensioner (good ol' stretched sprue of varying diameters. I'll post some more pics with each of the afore mentioned steps above). Until the next gripping instalment....,

TTFN

Scott

• Like 5

Starting to build the detail up now after a quick clean up. I'm not going to achieve microscopic detail here, but if it looks ok then it is ok. The vertical bar on top of the axle box will be thinned down and I'm going to try a get a bit of rivet detail on the 'axle horns'??

post-2873-0-55153100-1518990088_thumb.jpg

My next couple of posts I'll be dealing with the springs

Laters

Scott

• Like 4

Using evergreen strip 0.25 x 0.75 mm, in various lengths for the spring.

post-2873-0-65429300-1518992090_thumb.jpg

Stick them together and you get these....

post-2873-0-13596000-1518992785_thumb.jpg

We have per spring:-

2 x 18.5

1 x 15

1 x 12.5

1 x 9

1 x 5

TTFN

Scott

Edited by gobbler
  • Like 6

Springs mounted and sprue stretched to different diameters

post-2873-0-54656700-1519062909_thumb.jpg

On one of the bogies I've started to add the small links under the axle boxes.

Still hummin' and jarring about the rivets, anyway just the middle set of springs between the two wheel sets and the bogies are pretty much there.

Seeya

Scott

• Like 8

Bogies.........DONE!!!

post-2873-0-09779400-1519075735_thumb.jpg

I've some of those rivet decals I may put on later. I'm calling that a night now.

Tomorrow I'll be concentrating on the panel beading

Don't forget any Q's, I'm happy to answer or if like John (brossard) you have an excellent tip for me such as the window security bars. Bing your comments on this thread.

Cheers

Scott

Edited by gobbler
  • Like 5

I wonder if it would be worth squeezing a wee bit of sheet lead in there, it might help with the ride of the coach.

Very tidy work.  Someone else on the forum (Edwardian, Stephen Lea or Brossard come to mind) does the springs in a chunk and then cuts them into spring-width strips.